Print Thread
Hop To
Page 52 of 175 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 174 175
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Oh and they direct traffic at the ferry dock

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NH K9
Contrary to some "experts" there is no national hiring standard or"type". If an AO has a problem with schit cops than that AO has to clean it's process......

I don't like to compare the Police to military, but I suspect that the quality of the boots on the ground is very much a reflection on the quality of the management.

Have the wrong NCO's and SNCO's with wrong mindset/attitude and you will never get the ful potential from the officers underneath them..

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
WSP has good troopers and a good reputation their problem is they don't pay as well as municipal cops.

While paying a livable wage is of course critical, studies in education have shown that it ain't money that motivates good teachers. Hardly surprising when you consider how few go into teaching for the money. What motivates good teachers is an innate sense of satisfaction from a job well done, and tbe freedom in the classroom to do that job.

I expect you could draw parallels with good Cops.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The only thing I have to add here is that the LEO should be trained to put a cripple down, Ive put dozens of ton cancer eyed Hereford Bulls down with a single shot from a .218BEE, 46 gr HP, you draw a cross( or imagine) horn to opposite eye a cross more or less ( center X marks the spot) and put the bullet in flat, not at an angle that can deflect. each and every one went down like a sack of cowfeed! If a rear shot is all you have you brainstem the beast, sounds like these guys were just plain trigger happy and had a pack mentally.... very sad, my heart goes out for this rancher and his family!Im the first to admit we need law but none of this story is adding up!!!! very best winpoor

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
WSP has good troopers and a good reputation their problem is they don't pay as well as municipal cops.

While paying a livable wage is of course critical, studies in education have shown that it ain't money that motivates good teachers. Hardly surprising when you consider how few go into teaching for the money. What motivates good teachers is an innate sense of satisfaction from a job well done, and tbe freedom in the classroom to do that job.

Birdwatcher

That's why you start, but not why you stay. I could take half as many cops, pay them twice as much, do an infinitely better job and still save the public 50% by reduced equipment and benefit costs. But government doesn't work that way.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
The only thing I have to add here is that the LEO should be trained to put a cripple down, Ive put dozens of ton cancer eyed Hereford Bulls down with a single shot from a .218BEE, 46 gr HP, you draw a cross( or imagine) horn to opposite eye a cross more or less ( center X marks the spot) and put the bullet in flat, not at an angle that can deflect. each and every one went down like a sack of cowfeed! If a rear shot is all you have you brainstem the beast, sounds like these guys were just plain trigger happy and had a pack mentally.... very sad, my heart goes out for this rancher and his family!Im the first to admit we need law but none of this story is adding up!!!! very best winpoor

While it does sound like the Deputies botched putting the bull down, it pays to remember that dealing with an animal thats been an RTA is a lot different to dealing with one thats in a crush or otherwise nice and calm..

Hopefully the Deputies body cams will give us an idea where things went wrong soi that measures can be taken to stop it happening it again in future..

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Not much really new at the meeting last night other than only 1 deputy is out of the county..1 has 15 years experience and the other 5..Sheriff says he has had ad out for employment for a few weeks with only 3 applicants.Said he asked ISP for an update and was declined..Mostly just nit picking and dodging question with..I don't know!

The Lt Gov had more to say than the sheriff.

“I’m hypothesizing that those cops didn’t know how to kill that bull, and having had experience, you can’t hardly knock one down if you don’t know exactly where to put that bullet,” Little said. “And Jack (Yantis) showed up and said, ‘I’ll take care of this.’
“I’ve been involved in it many, many times,” Little said. Authorities call “and we — my foreman, my son, the guys at the ranch — we get called out at night all the time.”

He discussed the state’s open range laws, which make motorists financially responsible in case of an accident involving livestock.

“I tell my cattleman friends, ‘You have a school bus hit a bull, you’re not going to like the way the open range laws in Idaho are changed.’”

Everything is on the State now,the investigation and prosecution!Adams County is basically out of it.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Thanks logcutter. Glad to hear they have Mr. Spence, they're in good hands.

The guy makes a living getting the facts and proceeding from there - and therefore the family is in good hands?

However, if a forum member even mentions getting the facts first, you call his wife a cow and denigrate them.

schizophrenic?

BTW, what position did you hold in the police department?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Birdwatcher
You can "study" all you want, but the facts are that where you have higher paid teachers you have higher achievement. The correlation is not necessarily one-to-one but it is there nonetheless. It is also a lot more objective than surveys querying teachers about their own motivation.

That said, a lot of this stuff came about after Clinton demanded more cops on the street and got them. This was right after he got elected bragging about how he'd taken on the NRA in Arkansas...and won. Also about the time the AWB passed, etc.

You also had the Rodney King riots which cause a lot of bad things to happen. Many times when bad things happen the response will be a sort of duality where two opposing sides and their respective philosophies BOTH get what they want as opposed to one winning and the other losing. In that case it was both appeasement of a minority by rewarding lawbreakers for doing what they do while at the same time militarizing the police that the decent people from that minority saw as causing the problem.

You see the same thing in the schools when a normal problem happens and a group which has been advocating for change suddenly either comes into power or is empowered and has the opportunity to make the changes they want. Those changes fail miserably and two years later (which is almost at the same time in terms of organizations) their opposing numbers get empowered to change things the other way. You never go back to where you were.

Getting back to the issue...an area with 4000 population and probably no tax base to speak of, if it's like around here, doesn't have the money to pay for higher salaries. So unless you want to take more money from the state or Feds, neither of which has it, then you adjust in places other than salary.

"Vetting" is not gonna work. If anything, cops are over-vetted now. It is identical to problems in the schools. Your schools and police are reflections of your community regardless of whether in this case, those cops were hired locally or from Cali or wherever. You elect people from your community and they call the shots. That is where you have your say and that is where you are usually [bleep]. Most community leaders are out for themselves NOT to serve their community. You can't expect people like that to hire good people either to teach or police. And if good people are hired, how can you trust scumbags to retain them or pay them more even if the money is available. You think the excellent teacher who doesn't give the school board member's kid A's is gonna get rehired next year? Same with the cop who pulls the County Commissioner over and hauls his ass to the calabozo for DUI. In bigger venues, things are not necessarily better, they are just on a bigger level with more visibility and scrutiny. So sometimes you have less of this but it still goes on.

As soon as a good person gets elected to one of these boards, they have longtime board members both sucking up to them and at the same time, bullying them to go along to get along. And if a person has no allies on a board, how will they do anything but cast protest votes all the time? In the case of small town police, these communities are frickin' BROKEASSED! What is a source of revenue? The new highway running through the edge of town, not arresting the Mayor's forty-year-old Meth dealing son. When you can't be a "real" cop by kicking ass on real problems and all you get to do is be a freak on a leash writing tickets to anybody with out-of-county tags, then your attention turns to the harmless pot-head who moved in from the city or some local yokel whose goats keep eating the Town Councilmen's petunias.

More militarized cops who see all the public as lawbreakers deserving of punishment to one degree or another, just isn't the answer, regardless of pay, vetting or what-have-you.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Birdwatcher

That's why you start, but not why you stay. I could take half as many cops, pay them twice as much, do an infinitely better job and still save the public 50% by reduced equipment and benefit costs. But government doesn't work that way.
+1

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RWE

The guy makes a living getting the facts and proceeding from there - and therefore the family is in good hands?

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of a lawyer's primary purpose. But if what you said is correct, why wouldn't they be in good hands?

Spence brings a name to the situation at this point in his career and life.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You can "study" all you want, but the facts are that where you have higher paid teachers you have higher achievement.

It ain't my studies, but published ones.

I will say that the best predictor of student achievement is how much money the parents make. Generally speaking, in America how much money you make reflects how much emphasis you put on education. Maybe better paying districts got a wealthier population and hence more educated parents.

This is readily observable where I live.

Bugs the crap out of me when they persist in breaking education stats down by "race", just feed parents' income into the model and you get a much better fit, irrespective of ethnicity.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
You can "study" all you want, but the facts are that where you have higher paid teachers you have higher achievement. The correlation is not necessarily one-to-one but it is there nonetheless. It is also a lot more objective than surveys querying teachers about their own motivation.

That said, a lot of this stuff came about after Clinton demanded more cops on the street and got them. This was right after he got elected bragging about how he'd taken on the NRA in Arkansas...and won. Also about the time the AWB passed, etc.

You also had the Rodney King riots which cause a lot of bad things to happen. Many times when bad things happen the response will be a sort of duality where two opposing sides and their respective philosophies BOTH get what they want as opposed to one winning and the other losing. In that case it was both appeasement of a minority by rewarding lawbreakers for doing what they do while at the same time militarizing the police that the decent people from that minority saw as causing the problem.

You see the same thing in the schools when a normal problem happens and a group which has been advocating for change suddenly either comes into power or is empowered and has the opportunity to make the changes they want. Those changes fail miserably and two years later (which is almost at the same time in terms of organizations) their opposing numbers get empowered to change things the other way. You never go back to where you were.

Getting back to the issue...an area with 4000 population and probably no tax base to speak of, if it's like around here, doesn't have the money to pay for higher salaries. So unless you want to take more money from the state or Feds, neither of which has it, then you adjust in places other than salary.

"Vetting" is not gonna work. If anything, cops are over-vetted now. It is identical to problems in the schools. Your schools and police are reflections of your community regardless of whether in this case, those cops were hired locally or from Cali or wherever. You elect people from your community and they call the shots. That is where you have your say and that is where you are usually [bleep]. Most community leaders are out for themselves NOT to serve their community. You can't expect people like that to hire good people either to teach or police. And if good people are hired, how can you trust scumbags to retain them or pay them more even if the money is available. You think the excellent teacher who doesn't give the school board member's kid A's is gonna get rehired next year? Same with the cop who pulls the County Commissioner over and hauls his ass to the calabozo for DUI. In bigger venues, things are not necessarily better, they are just on a bigger level with more visibility and scrutiny. So sometimes you have less of this but it still goes on.

As soon as a good person gets elected to one of these boards, they have longtime board members both sucking up to them and at the same time, bullying them to go along to get along. And if a person has no allies on a board, how will they do anything but cast protest votes all the time? In the case of small town police, these communities are frickin' BROKEASSED! What is a source of revenue? The new highway running through the edge of town, not arresting the Mayor's forty-year-old Meth dealing son. When you can't be a "real" cop by kicking ass on real problems and all you get to do is be a freak on a leash writing tickets to anybody with out-of-county tags, then your attention turns to the harmless pot-head who moved in from the city or some local yokel whose goats keep eating the Town Councilmen's petunias.

More militarized cops who see all the public as lawbreakers deserving of punishment to one degree or another, just isn't the answer, regardless of pay, vetting or what-have-you.
Excellent post.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You can "study" all you want, but the facts are that where you have higher paid teachers you have higher achievement.

It ain't my studies, but published ones.

I will say that the best predictor of student achievement is how much money the parents make. Generally speaking, in America how much money you make reflects how much emphasis you put on education. Maybe better paying districts got a wealthier population and hence more educated parents.

This is readily observable where I live.

Bugs the crap out of me when they persist in breaking education stats down by "race", just feed parents' income into the model and you get a much better fit, irrespective of ethnicity.

Birdwatcher
I'll make one more observation about education because IMO this thread ain't about that, then you can wax eloquent all you want.

What you're saying is dancing around what I'm saying, which is 100% true, from your first assertion that they aren't YOUR studies. I never said they were. You're studying the studies and then citing them. There is no way to objectively measure motivation. There are objective measures of teacher salary contrasted with achievement. Race, parent income, etc. are extraneous factors in a study of what I spoke of and which I qualified my statement with.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of a lawyer's primary purpose. But if what you said is correct, why wouldn't they be in good hands?

I never said the family wasn't in good hands.

There was an intent in my post in total. You only quoted a part.

Glad the family is well represented.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Here is a link to currant Idaho law enforcement jobs and there salaries...

https://post.idaho.gov/jobs/

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by RWE

I never said the family wasn't in good hands.

There was an intent in my post in total. You only quoted a part.

Glad the family is well represented.
FWIW I wasn't trying to skew the meaning of the post, just understand what that part meant without getting into the feud portion.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
you draw a cross( or imagine) horn to opposite eye a cross more or less ( center X marks the spot) and put the bullet in flat,

X marks the spot, that's correct. The Idaho/Adam's County depooties who couldn't/wouldn't do the right thing should be whipped to death for their incompetence.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by RWE

However, if a forum member even mentions getting the facts first, you call his wife a cow and denigrate them.

schizophrenic?

BTW, what position did you hold in the police department?

I'm not sure either what he did back in band camp, but I'm certain his wife had at least 69 different positions within the Police Department.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
you draw a cross( or imagine) horn to opposite eye a cross more or less ( center X marks the spot) and put the bullet in flat,

X marks the spot, that's correct. The Idaho/Adam's County depooties who couldn't/wouldn't do the right thing should be whipped to death for their incompetence.

Execute folks who can't brain shoot cows.

NOW we're making progress in this thread.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Page 52 of 175 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 174 175

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,961
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.