Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Pick up a slightly used RUM for $600 or so, fit a $600 premium barrel and you have a $1,200 28 Nosler, probably with a better barrel than the Nosler rifle.

More gun, less money.

DF

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yep.

I got used BDL bottom metal for my recent 6.5 Creedmoor project for $50 here on the Fire.

With spring replacement the new Remington trigger can be used. Not a Timney but useable with some tweaking.

Stocky has a good selection of stocks at all price ranges.

Sounds like an ongoing project to me...

DF

RDFinn Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I found the bottom metal that I'll use on this rig that I bought on the Campfire classified's that was originally blued but I wanted something to match up with the SS action so I sent it off to Robar for a NP3 finish that should make it corrosion proof. These are heavier than I thought, but are beautifully finished by Williams. Pretty much the same as a Sunny Hill stainless unit, but Williams doesn't make them in stainless or even better yet if they made it in aluminum. I've made up my mind that I'm not going to butcher up my Custom Shop African Plains Rifle in 300 WM that is extremely accurate. I'm in no rush, so I spoke with Mike Lee at Defiance Machine as I've always wanted a custom clone 700 and the Defiance Rebel, I think, is one of the very best. The options are endless and you can get a mod 70 type 3 pos safety now so I might as well go all in.

This is the refinished Williams unit.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
William bottom metal is top quality.

Here's the Williams in an Echols Legend, M-70 RUM that became a .404J. Note how well the Legend is inletted for drop in fit.

DF

[Linked Image]

IC B2

RDFinn Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Only knuckleheads like you and me appreciate these tiny little details like bottom metal fit and appearance and scope mount fitting as well. I have a Sunny Hill unit on my Remington CS African Plains Rifle which is slightly more streamlined as the Williams piece. I remember Echols using the Williams BM (with a few trick moves to install I'm sure) on the Legend rifle.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
That just means we're genuine, certified Loonies, not posers or wannabes... grin

DF

RDFinn Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No Imagination or Pretend when building something that's right from the start.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by gzig5
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
Originally Posted by gzig5
I haven't worked much with belted cases, is anyone needing to use those collet dies that size that last little bit before the belt? That would be an additional cost unless I built one myself.

I've had one for awhile, and have gotten some good use out of it. Having said that; almost all of the use was solving man-made and odd-ball problems.The main reason that I got it was I had a sizeable pile of .257 Weatherby brass that had been fired in a rifle I no longer had. Resizing it in a FL die wouldn't get it into my remaining .257. The Willis tool saved enough brass to pay for itself the first day. Other instances were a number of rifles that were cut with a non Saami reamer with a reduced base. In return for no discernible advantage, it opened up a situation where the chamber was smaller than typical reloading dies. The collet kept me in the game until I rechambered them in disgust. Another is chambers that are cut so disgustingly over size that when sizing there is a lot of brass that has to go somewhere, and it could go where a die won't reach. This is the principal use given in the dies promotion.

In regular, non oddball use a reloader can get along just fine without ever have even heard of the Willis die and never miss a beat. The situations where it is useful aren't particularly common, and for the most part you can ignore the belt.

I kinda figured it was like that. So far I haven't seen any issues with my 300 Win but I've picked up brass from the range that after sizing wouldn't go into my chamber easily. They had insanely flat primers though. Looking forward to playing with one of these two cartridges next year.

There is a somewhat easier solution to salvaged brass range pickups, at least when it works. Usually it does.

If you get a .300 Win small base die it will almost always reduce the oversized case enough to chamber in any rifle. The utility doesn't end there; if you take the decapping/expander rod out you can put the base squeeze on .257 Weatherby,.270 Weatherby, .264 Win, and 7mm Rem mag as well.It effectively turns it into an improvised body die. It won't work on .338 Win, or any of the full length magnums but at the price of brass these days it can be worth while to buy a small base die and cut the top off with a grinding wheel.

A 30-06 small base die makes a small base body die for a .270 and a .30 SB die will do 7/08 and .243. With a bit of thought there are other possibilities.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 52 invisible), 2,726 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,195
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.