Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Glad you're enjoying it, and thanks for the comments! We wanted to make it something more than a "here's the loads" manual.

A few of my friends call me The Bull Goose Rifle Loony, a reference to the main character in ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST.

laugh laugh

I think that beats elkhunternm's title of "Chief of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels".

Or even Sir Ingwe's "Poobah"

Geno
Nope.

But that is my un-biased opinion. whistle

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Mine arrived. It has been to Staples and is now a two volume set. I had them put in the spiral binding.

Thanks, John.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Steve, do folks up there use "aluminium" and do they still put a "u" in color?

Geno

PS, you had students? Did you let them get close enough so some of your "wisdom" would "rub off" on them? Were they capable of absorbing it if it did? shocked

PPS it's hockey season, and I have the joy of listening to "Oh Canada" when I watch a game with a Canadian team. I always knew it was real hockey growing up when I got to hear two anthems!

Aluminium and colour are still in wide use here. This is changing, as most everyone under 40 is skilled with computers and uses US designed and made software - Word, Windows, etc. Auto-correct or suggestions in Word recommends you change words like "neighbour" or "valour" to 'neighbor' or 'valor'.

American English also uses "ize" for everything. recognize colorize, etc. UK English generally uses "ise" differently (or used to).

For example, practise vs. practice. When I was a kid, we were taught that 'practice' was a noun and 'practise' was a verb. For example, "We practised passing the puck at hockey practice today." The language continues to evolve. Maybe some Brits can chime in and say what they're doing in school these days.

Yes, I had students. smile

I taught weapons and explosives at a Canadian Forces technical school. I was, among other things, EOD qualified and used to load and explode ordnance with the air force. I was a wpns technician for 22 yrs. I taught in uniform for 6 yrs and as a civilian for 11 yrs. You can read a short bio here. http://www.303british.com/id68.html

But I'm talking on John's dime.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My copy arrived today. I asked Eileen to have John write a message for my 2 1/2 year old son. It reads: "To Patrick, who I hope turns out to be as avid a hunter as his father!"

Thank you John, I will work on that!

Last edited by smallfry; 11/05/15.
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Glad you liked it!

Eileen's "What's Up?" column in the upcoming RIFLE LOONY NEWS will be about how to encourage kids to hunt, with a bunch of excellent examples from hunting families we know.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I got my book looks like a winner! not have had time to read yet!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have already read the entire book. It has now earned it place in the private library.

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
bea175,

That's great!

Would you mind if we ran your post and photo in the next edition of RIFLE LOONY NEWS, which comes out next week?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
nope run it if you like

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks very much!

John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
no problem, loved the book

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Found mine apon my return from 3 weeks in China. Great to be home and have something new to read. Thanks!

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mule Deer

Got my copy last Wednesday and have been enjoying it. Although I live in the middle of the country I hunt in the northern part of the country. Some of the coldest weather that I see all year can be while I am hunting. For that reason I have been paying attention to what you have been saying about temperature sensitive powders. I do not have the opportunity to test out my loads in cold temperature. When I go out I always have my 270 loaded with H4831. Thanks for all that you have shared with us here at the campfire.

Scotty

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Scotty,

Glad you're enjoying the book!

Some hunters think temperature-resistance is overblown--and it isn't very important under most circumstances, especially shooting most big game at ranges under 400 yards, under most conditions. But one of the major trends of smokeless rifles powders since they were developed in the 1880’s has been decreased temperature sensitivity, because it definitely does make a difference in some shooting.

John Steinbeck
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
JB, I finished reading my copy a couple of days ago after returning from my elk hunt. LOTS of good info throughout the book. A very easy read; I've always liked your writing style.

I just wish there was a Capital Sports & Western Wear store nearby. I'm not so sure though, that my wife and/or credit card would. grin It must have an unbelievable used gun rack! Seems like you mention buying a gun there in every other chapter.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Scotty,

Glad you're enjoying the book!

Some hunters think temperature-resistance is overblown--and it isn't very important under most circumstances, especially shooting most big game at ranges under 400 yards, under most conditions. But one of the major trends of smokeless rifles powders since they were developed in the 1880’s has been decreased temperature sensitivity, because it definitely does make a difference in some shooting.

Tis true. It's nice to have a choice of powders that are less sensitive than their older cousins. They are improved propellants (ain't progress wunnerful?) that, among other things, provide some wiggle room when the sun comes out or when developing a year round load.

That said, for those that have an old favourite that they do not wish to give up, it only helps to load it down a grain or two.

Reaching maximum velocity (and pressure) shouldn't be the goal for reloaders. The objective should be to find the sweet spot: a combination of the right velocity for the bullet and acceptable groups, but not necessarily the tightest.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
i got book thumbed through it and was disappointed not seeing the 300 savage in it.would like to see some loading's with new enduron powder. But I'm sure i will be pleased with rest of book

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MD
I've just about finished the whole book. Can't say I've got much done in the last two weeks, so you're to blame for that.

One interesting thing I noted was the "churners" group that I am trying to recover from. I've owned so many guns in so many varied cartridges over the last 30 years it's almost embarrassing. I've sold off many rifles and have gone mostly to a 3 gun battery of 221 fireball, 250 savage, and 358STA. Yeah, I guess I'm still a rifle looney even in remission. I still have several other rifles, but they rarely see use any more and really only see one more new rifle in my future.

I do most of my hunting here on an old ranchers land who only owns two guns and is most definitely not a churner. A pre64 M70 in .270 and an old 22 hornet. Both have accounted for many deer. I supply him with hornet loads with the speer 46gr bee bullet and 'Lil gun. He claims to notice more "knock down" power with these loads over factory.

My grandfather owned one centerfire rifle, a .243, that he hunted mule deer and bighorn with from the 60s-80s. He couldn't understand the need for more than one if it worked.

Anyway, great book. Even on the cartridges I don't shoot.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
T
T
Mine showed up literally 2 days after I ordered it. Awesome book, as is everything that comes from that particular location. Plz keep up the good work, both you and your better half.
Thx Ted

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,773
Posts18,515,633
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.