Page 80 of 175 1 2 78 79 80 81 82 174 175
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Wtxj
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Wtxj
Quote--As of September 2014 more than twenty school district police agencies received military-grade equipment through the program

True,our school board found out the school police ordered 6 full auto rifles, not one of the guys had been trained in their use and no prior military in the 6 person force.

They had to send them back and Chief lost his job as he had to move on.
School board was pissed on this one.
2,500 hundred people in this little town.

How much did the six full sutos cost?

Free----from the feds. They had to figure out how to return them.

Behold have kept them,master all they were free.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I read an article the other day written by the Prosecutor in the trial of some NYPD cops. They have a State Law that prevents any of a cop's prior abuses to be brought up at trial.

The gist of the article was the difficulty in prosecuting cops as compared to one of us commoners. That was only one of a multitude of reasons.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
During the trial or during sentencing?

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At trial. She made it sound as if the rule was peculiar to cops, something their Union lobbied for.

I'll see if I can find it.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by curdog4570
I read an article the other day written by the Prosecutor in the trial of some NYPD cops. They have a State Law that prevents any of a cop's prior abuses to be brought up at trial.

Your state undoubtedly has a similar law of evidence that would prevent a prosecutor from mentioning any of your prior abuses (if you had any) at your trial (if you were to be tried for something), absent some narrow exceptions.

It's not a special law for the protection of LEOs.

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
At trial. She made it sound as if the rule was peculiar to cops, something their Union lobbied for.

It's not unique to cops, it's a standard for Court.

I can't enter evidence of a past DWI in order to convict an alleged drunk driver. Ditto on an assault for a wife beater.

Sentencing, however, is another issue.

ETA...,beat to it.

Last edited by NH K9; 11/14/15.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
You guys and your facts.

Ruining it all!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Has Gene been pulled over yet today?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NH K9

It's not unique to cops, it's a standard for Court.

I can't enter evidence of a past DWI in order to convict an alleged drunk driver. Ditto on an assault for a wife beater.

Sentencing, however, is another issue.

ETA...,beat to it.

I copied this from the article I mentioned. You would NOT want to read the complete article.

t’s hard to prosecute cops. There are two main reasons for this: The first is the special deference that jurors, judges, and prosecutors show officers thanks to the widespread perception that they are heroic public figures valiantly trying to protect us. The second is the bevy of special laws around the country that are designed to shield police officers from the very tactics the police regularly use on ordinary suspects. For example, in most states, law enforcement officers cannot be questioned until they have been given a few days to get their stories straight. And many states have passed laws—such as Section 50-a of New York’s Civil Rights Law—that are specifically designed to make it almost impossible to obtain or use at trial records of a police officer’s prior brutality or misconduct. These two factors can make convicting police officers extremely difficult, and it is no accident; it is the direct result of the sustained effort by police unions to protect officers from even the most deserved discipline or prosecution."

I googled "how hard is it to prosecute cops" and there are pages of articles all saying this same thing.

The statistics cited in some of the articles are amazing as far as offenses vs. charges brought.

You guys really do have a license to kill.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Why wouldn't I want to read it......?

You did read both the black and white parts of the post you quoted, correct?

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Are you really 007?

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
No gadgets......or cool cars.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Just a license to kill, damn.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Apparently...... 17 years (give or take a few months). I'm way behind!

Last edited by NH K9; 11/14/15.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NH K9
Why wouldn't I want to read it......?

You did read both the black and white parts of the post you quoted, correct?

The website is "Slate"... search for this:

The Myth of the Hero Cop
Police officers earn more than you think for a job that’s less dangerous than you imagine.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
I took the time to read it and the NY link.......

Do you believe that an LEO's personnel file should be utilized as evidence during a trial?

Honestly, much of the article was irrelevant for "me". For instance, I'm not going to have to deal with disclosing an assault conviction for one of my guys. He's not going to have a job with a conviction......

George

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
A couple of weeks ago a St. Louis "yout" killed a Kentucky State Trooper during a traffic stop on I-24 in Western Kentucky.

A few hours later he was shot dead by a Kentucky State Trooper group.

I got no problem with that at all. It's probably not by the book, but I don't care. I've got my opinion and it's going to be what it is.

On the other hand, If I was a law officer on the scene of this incident, I have no doubt that I could have handled it without anybody getting killed or even being charged with a crime.

,...and I ain't nobody special.

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Too bad to see LE/groupies intentionally misdirect this thread.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the record should be subject to discovery.

The Lawyers can argue over relevancy with regard to its contents and the Judge can rule.

If I was charged with a crime of violence, the State would be questioning my neighbors and friends, hoping to establish a pattern of violent behavior. They would have a list of all my prior arrests and/or convictions.

A LEO's abuse victims would likely be scattered among the general population. How would one find HIS victims without the help of the State.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
I've never had groupies.......

I guess I won't converse with Gene anymore, though I certainly wouldn't put him in that bracket.

Page 80 of 175 1 2 78 79 80 81 82 174 175

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 54 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,455
Posts18,489,729
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.