Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I called Leupold repair center the other day and I was put on hold, #53 in line. Wow...

I've run into this too and I think it is due to Leupold taking your phone # and then calling you back.

They usually call back pretty quick and its more convenient than waiting.

I've yet to crash a Leupold, old or new and the idea of buying a HEAVY Tasco aka super chicken does nothing for me unless it may be a target/tac rifle.

I love Leupold 4.5x14s and the new one inch CDS I used last week to bust a nice mule deer buck at 560 yards functioned as advertised.

GB1

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by mathman
[quote=Forest]Stick,

Though you seem to have a way of explaining things that may seem somewhat harsh your logic is rather difficult to ignore. Cant say as I've ever been disappointed in being led to water. grin

I just purchased a used Sako AV Finnbear 270 with a 9 1/2 twist barrel without a scope. I think I'll give the fixed 6 a go. They appear to be $299 from SWFA.

Do you have a recommendation as to a bullet to try that will reach out a ways. THANKS

FOREST

You're about to be told you're a clueless dumbphuk for having bought a 270. grin [/quote/]

Probably a given grin

For $600 in excellent condition I figure I can trip it for around $900 so really could'nt turn this one down. smile

Black friday sale.....good to know. Thanks fellas

FOREST

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
In a Sako no less!

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If you had one of these "heavy tasco's" and shot it very much, you would sing a different toon.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If you had one of these "heavy tasco's" and shot it very much, you would sing a different toon.

So far the tune I sing has been working just fine. Heavy 20 oz. scopes on carry rifles is not one of them. Their eye relief does nothing for me either.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Terryk,

'knees,

"Fixed Fhuqker" denotes any/all of the lineage that is Prime in nature. I've got 6,10,12 and 16's in MQ and all but the 16 in MD as well. You want MQ only,not so much due the erector's values,but the doubled subtension range(10 Mils instead of 5 for ele) and more tactile adjustments. It is easier for folks to drive a system who's erector is in synch with it's windshield and when everything extrapolates in lineal fashion.

6x is tough to whoop for Killing.............

Stick, can you give me a quick review how the turret is in synch with the dots (SS glass)? I appreciate it. Thanks.

I was a little surprised to hear that you are drifting from lightweight mounts and going back to steel. Have you tried DNZ mounts?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What he is saying is that the reticle subtensions (dots or hash marks) have the same value, distance wise, with the turret clicks meaning the turret clicks are in mils (MRADS) as are the hash marks. Some scopes will have a mil dot reticle but the adjustments are in moa increments (such as 1/4 or 1/3 click values). When he says "windshield" he is simply referring to the reticle and it's hash marks. No scope south of a thousand bucks has the amount of erector travel as the SS scopes do nor are they as repeatable and accurate. Nightforce and some of the Bushnell Elites such as the newer LRHS, LRS off the top of my head run with the SS scopes but the list is short. Granted these scopes are heavy, but they are built for heavy duty use which is why they are popular with the tactical crowd. There is a guy who posts here that goes by the name of Formildilous (I think that's the spelling) who is a military sniper who swears by the durability of the SS scopes and I believe he has stated that one of the variable SS scopes he has is running with something like 60,000 rounds under it. Sounds unbelievable, but I believe him as their track record is well documented.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by SU35

So far the tune I sing has been working just fine. Heavy 20 oz. scopes on carry rifles is not one of them. Their eye relief does nothing for me either.

A Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 weighs 13 ounces, the VX6 weighs 17.8, the NF 2.5-10x 42 weighs 19 ounces, and the SWFA fixed 6x weighs 20 ounces.

To me, an extra 6 - 7 (or 1-2 for the VX6) ounces is a great investment to make sure the scope will work when needed.

Leopold's "great" lifetime customer service is worthless when the buck of a lifetime is standing there.

The best customer service is to design it right, build it right, and care enough about the customer to quality control check it before it goes and the door so that it does not come back.

As mentioned before, I've sold off my Leupolds and mostly use NF now, but gave the SWFA SS a try and have been surprised and impressed. It offers a great value for the price, tracks accurately and reliably, and is durable.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Careful Jeff. You'll have the fan boys all uptight. Heck they might even say your scopes really aren't broken and that all you are doing is trying to get attention by posting any disparaging remarks with turd-like insinuations.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Careful Jeff. You'll have the fan boys all uptight. Heck they might even say your scope really aren't broken and that all you are doing is trying to get attention by posting any disparaging remarks with turd-like insinuations.

None of my Leupolds are broken - because they are all gone, except for one on a 22LR. grin

I just hate to see folks have equipment that does not work properly.

Like Burns, rcamuglia used to question folks reporting problems with Leupolds until it happened to him. Thankfully he was honest and candid about it.

Originally Posted by rcamuglia
What's the difference in price? Hate to say it but Leupold broke my heart. I'd look at the Nightforce...

It is a good thread worth reading again.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...Number/9434014/what/showflat/fpart/1/q/1

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by jeffbird

A Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 weighs 13 ounces, the VX6 weighs 17.8, the NF 2.5-10x 42 weighs 19 ounces, and the SWFA fixed 6x weighs 20 ounces.

To me, an extra 6 - 7 (or 1-2 for the VX6) ounces is a great investment to make sure the scope will work when needed.

Leopold's "great" lifetime customer service is worthless when the buck of a lifetime is standing there.

The best customer service is to design it right, build it right, and care enough about the customer to quality control check it before it goes and the door so that it does not come back.

As mentioned before, I've sold off my Leupolds and mostly use NF now, but gave the SWFA SS a try and have been surprised and impressed. It offers a great value for the price, tracks accurately and reliably, and is durable.

The Mark 4 Leupy LR/T 30mm 16x40 with M1s weighs more than a SWFA 16x42.... And has an MSRP of $2000. Thank you Mr Farris...

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like Burns, rcamuglia used to question folks reporting problems with Leupolds until it happened to him. Thankfully he was honest and candid about it.

You make me smile. grin Can you see the smile???

[Linked Image]

Can you see the Gold Ring. laugh laugh laugh laugh

Yes I am laughing at you.

Please hang a Super Sniper Pic.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Here's to using Golden Rings for 40 years.

Please fell sorry for me Jeff.

[Linked Image]

Leupold 4.5x14

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Well, the torque wrench was handy, but could not find any 550 for hanging without going to my truck and it's not worth that effort. Did manage to find an old stick to prop it up for a photo for you though. Funny, you sure are defensive. I could care less what you use. Congrats on a nice bull and to you too SU.

Anyway, as you requested.... 6x fixed.

[Linked Image]

As mentioned, Nightforce is really my preference.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Well, the torque wrench was handy, but could not find any 550 for hanging without going to my truck and it's not worth that effort. Did manage to find an old stick to prop it up for a photo though. Funny, you sure are defensive. I could care less what you use.

[Linked Image]

That is one HELL of a badass pic!!!!

You must be one of the windowlickers Big Stick always talks about.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's to using Golden Rings for 40 years.
Please fell sorry for me Jeff.
[Linked Image]
Leupold 4.5x14

Nice buck laugh

Well, the torque wrench was handy, but could not find any 550 for hanging without going to my truck and it's not worth that effort. Did manage to find an old stick to prop it up for a photo for you though. Funny, you sure are defensive. I could care less what you use. Congrats on a nice bull and to you too SU.

[Linked Image]

Well then hang a NF pic. grin

We are just having fun.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Cull from last weekend. 6's just have to go. Enjoyed some grilled cutlets for dinner tonight. NF 2.5-10x42.

[Linked Image]

Get lucky now and then with my old milsurp rifle with a NF 5.5-22.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I think I am going to put my 2.5-10 x 42 on a Kimber montana in talley mounts. I am not crazy about the reticle for hunting but it beats the chit out of finding your gun shooting a bit off after you carefully sighted it in the week before, maybe it is you but you always wonder with some scopes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Get lucky now and then with my old milsurp rifle with a NF 5.5-22.

[Linked Image]

That's a dandy.

A buck like that would make suffering a NF much easier. laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well at least you and your shadow, Stick, can agree on something as he thinks NF are schitt.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1_deuce, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 61 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,799
Posts18,516,200
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.