Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Porker Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
My only custom completed to date. Started out as a 375R Alaskan. My go-to rig and a pleasure to shoot bench or field.

McGowen 1:10, 22"
Limbsaver with mercury tube
Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40
Brushed stainless
Trued action, lapped and smoothed

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

P
Porker Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
oops ... needs to moved to the custom lefty thread.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Good looking gun! This seems like a great place to show her off.

P
Porker Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
thanks mate ... scope didnt come out exactly the way I wanted, but I wil live with it ...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks nice. I had a 375 Ruger just like it but didn't really enjoy shooting it so it was traded off. What loads are you shooting out of it? I bet the 338 is going to have a fair bit less recoil than full power 375 Ruger loads.

Gerry.
IC B2

P
Porker Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Hi Gerry, I had it done exclusively to shoot the 210 Nosler Partition a tad under max ... AR2209 is the Oz powder I use, only start feeling it after 15 rounds off the bench, the mercury together with limbsaver is amazing.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Nice looking rig Porker. I got to handle one of the RH factory versions of this rifle in an Idaho sports shop and really liked it. Of course I checked Ruger's website to see if they had it in the lefty version but only cataloged the .375R. The .338 definitely holds a lot more appeal for me. Nice job. I have been planning on building another .338WM here soon but will probably do it on a Win M70 if I can get my hands on a donor in the near future. Let us know how it performs.

P
Porker Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
thanks Eagle ... strange that Ruger only did a 375 in a lefty stainless "Alaskan"... would think a 338WM which is a longer serving Alaskan caliber would be a more versatile option. Not much available in stainless LH for custom projects ...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Nice looking rig Porker. I got to handle one of the RH factory versions of this rifle in an Idaho sports shop and really liked it. Of course I checked Ruger's website to see if they had it in the lefty version but only cataloged the .375R. The .338 definitely holds a lot more appeal for me. Nice job. I have been planning on building another .338WM here soon but will probably do it on a Win M70 if I can get my hands on a donor in the near future. Let us know how it performs.
CDNN currently has the left-handed .375 Alaskan for $600. You could have it re-barreled to .338 Winchester Magnum for a shade over $1K (including host rifle) if you went the IT&D route and probably closer to $1500 elsewhere.

If you were willing to go the CM route, you could buy both a right-handed Hawkeye in .338 WM and a left-handed Hawkeye in 7mm Remington Magnum -- both currently available from CDNN for $500 each. Swap the barrels (the extractor cuts are the same) and sell the right-handed gun. You'd be into a .338 WM for less than $1K upon selling the right-handed gun.

Originally Posted by Porker
Not much available in stainless LH for custom projects ...
Not true. Ruger has offered the long action versions of the left-handed Model 77 in stainless off and on for over 15 years and both long and short MRC 1999 actions have been available in stainless left-handed configuration for nearly as long. MRC is now, of course, selling complete "made-to-order" rifles.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
CDNN currently has the left-handed .375 Alaskan for $600. You could have it re-barreled to .338 Winchester Magnum for a shade over $1K (including host rifle) if you went the IT&D route and probably closer to $1500 elsewhere.

If you were willing to go the CM route, you could buy both a right-handed Hawkeye in .338 WM and a left-handed Hawkeye in 7mm Remington Magnum -- both currently available from CDNN for $500 each. Swap the barrels (the extractor cuts are the same) and sell the right-handed gun. You'd be into a .338 WM for less than $1K upon selling the right-handed gun.

No arguments. I like a lot of Ruger's offerings but I am a bigger Winchester fan. I had a M70 rebarreled by IT & D into a .338 and had a blast with it...then decided to have it rebarreled again to .264WM. I still have the .338 tube so all I need now is the action.

Your way works too.

IC B3

P
Porker Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Bricktop ... It's the "outside looking in" mentality for us guys in Africa and also Oz .. although options in Oz is heaps better. We just dont have the pick of the candy store and legislation to go, what the US shooter has. Currently looking for an international exporter in the US for all the good stuff you guys take for granted! grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bricktop ... It's the "outside looking in" mentality for us guys in Africa and also Oz .. although options in Oz is heaps better. We just dont have the pick of the candy store and legislation to go, what the US shooter has. Currently looking for an international exporter in the US for all the good stuff you guys take for granted! grin
Except based on this post, as well as your other posts, you constantly try and offer your limited view as a blanket inclusive of everyone. It's not.

P
Porker Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
[/quote]Except based on this post, as well as your other posts, you constantly try and offer your limited view as a blanket inclusive of everyone. It's not. [/quote]

This forum (as is any other) is about:
Viewing opinions
Sharing experiences and knowledge
Asking Q's to gain knowledge

And that's all my posts are ... not speaking obo a group nor representing "everyone". I agree my views are limited, but they are still mine and if opinionated or based on what I heard from like minded others who share the lefty frustration, so be it ...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Except based on this post, as well as your other posts, you constantly try and offer your limited view as a blanket inclusive of everyone. It's not.
This forum (as is any other) is about:
Viewing opinions
Sharing experiences and knowledge
Asking Q's to gain knowledge

And that's all my posts are ... not speaking obo a group nor representing "everyone". I agree my views are limited, but they are still mine and if opinionated or based on what I heard from like minded others who share the lefty frustration, so be it ...
You're completely missing the point, which is not surprising at all given the relative intelligence you exhibited regarding your various re-barreling and sales inquiries. Your limited rifle options only apply to you and very few in this forum. That's not an opinion, but a fact.

P
Porker Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
So now you can read the mind of every lefty on this forum with that assumption ... The lefty forum paints a different picture with WTB's , looking for's, assisted purchases and 'where to find' threads abound...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So now you can read the mind of every lefty on this forum with that assumption ... The lefty forum paints a different picture with WTB's , looking for's, assisted purchases and 'where to find' threads abound...
A little thought before you post the ignorant things you ask and state (for a change) would go a long way.

Ninety-nine percent of the individuals who post within this forum are in North America. Statements you make regarding firearm availability are going to apply to YOU, not anyone else here. You've asked some dumb questions (the whole WSM conversion springs to mind), but in this instance you made a statement.

And as an aside, ADI AR2209 powder is H4350 here.

P
Porker Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P

My limited rifle options posts are obviously not spoken obo North Americans, I never said that .. and I dont need to start every post or thread with "I'm from Australia ..." surely my location is clear enough for all to see. ..Maybe you just dont like members on the Fire from other countries or nationalities posting in predominant N/America threads?

Would like to know also what dumb questions I asked with regards to WSM?

Thanks anyway for clarifying the powders, that will surely help.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe you just dont like members on the Fire from other countries or nationalities posting in predominant N/America threads?
I'm always intrigued by shooting and hunting outside the U.S., but dumb statements and questions know no international boundary.

Would like to know also what dumb questions I asked with regards to WSM?
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...126/Re:_Model_70_LH_7mm_WSM#Post10415126
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._FS_--_LH_Winchester_Model_#Post10396064
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Winchester_M70_action_size#Post10396208

At any rate, nice rifle.

P
Porker Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Yes, WSM ...modifying a bolt face by adding metal is not such a good idea...but I was desperate! The other comment was simply a courtesy to the seller giving reasons after showing interest in his WSM... anyways thanks for the compliment on the rifle, really liked your choice of calibers on those 4 custom lefty's of yours.

J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Porker - in case you still are interested, Cleavers has a few Montana lefties at a good price.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 44automag, 450yukon, 22 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,210
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.