Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 83 of 175 1 2 81 82 83 84 85 174 175
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475
Not as clear cut as you think IMHO. I bet the office that tried to stop Mr. Yang is from shooting will claim that there were people in front of the bull as the rancher lined up to shoot the bull in the back of the head. The deputie either pull Yantis around or the the ranchers spun around, the rifle fired either on purpose or by accident, the officers felt they were fired and fired at Yantis

I'd wager that is what the report will indicate when complete

I'd not take that wager even though it seems unlikely there were people on the other side of the bull considering it's position on the edge of the road (from the picture posted earlier).
Something that been in the back of my mind.....even though it was in the heat of the moment yadda yadda yadda......wouldn't it have nice if the "experienced" officer would have thought for just one second about the fact that a bolt action rifle can't be fired a second time without working the bolt and at least demanded that Yantis put the rifle down before opening fire....
Yea I know......hindsight but......

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Remember, if there is something you don't understand there is something you don't know.

You either believe that the authorities can provide an honest answer as to what you don't know, or you don't.

I don't.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Not as clear cut as you think IMHO. I bet the office that tried to stop Mr. Yang is from shooting will claim that there were people in front of the bull as the rancher lined up to shoot the bull in the back of the head. The deputie either pull Yantis around or the the ranchers spun around, the rifle fired either on purpose or by accident, the officers felt they were fired and fired at Yantis

I'd not take that wager even though it seems unlikely there were people on the other side of the bull considering it's position on the edge of the road (from the picture posted earlier).
Something that been in the back of my mind.....even though it was in the heat of the moment yadda yadda yadda......wouldn't it have nice if the "experienced" officer would have thought for just one second about the fact that a bolt action rifle can't be fired a second time without working the bolt and at least demanded that Yantis put the rifle down before opening fire....

The picture posted was not at the time Mr. Yantis was lining up the shot.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Don't think for a minute that I believe this was handled correctly from the get go from my perspective a lot could have and should have been handled differently.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Could the prosecutor reveal the officer's prior "use of force" problem to a G.J.?

We've all been schooled, both on this thread and by watching "Law and Order", and know that it couldn't be used in any trial, but how about G.J. proceedings?

As far as Mr. Yantis's charges of resisting arrest, or obstruction, which accompanied his charge for DUI, I'll offer this:

Years ago it was common practice around here to tack a charge like that onto just about every DUI. Just like the officer's statement on the arrest report that the person arrested was "hostile and belligerent", no matter how subservient they actually were.

It actually gave both Lawyers extra tools in any plea bargain, which is what they both wanted.

I don't know it they still do it, or not. Been over 30 years.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My understanding is that the bull was laying there bleeding out from wounds inflicted by Andy and Barney but I wasn't there and neither were you.....
The one thing I an positive of though.....regardless of what the report says is that Yantis did not intentionally open fire on either deputy...
Trigger happy???? In my mind yes....and now they need to justify it in a "report"....keeping in mind that eye witnesses are unreliable...and only these "experienced" LEO's are qualified to recall waht they saw....

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Don't think for a minute that I believe this was handled correctly from the get go from my perspective a lot could have and should have been handled differently.

Definitely...

Although it will be interesting to see which deputy grabbed Jack and which put 4 bullets into his chest.If the latter is the 5 year vet that carries the lieing on his application about previous heavy handedness and the Sheriff letting it go after learning about it..That could get very interesting.

Then there is the roughing up of the wife that caused a heart attack trying to treat her husband.Where did the deputies stupidity end that night.They made all the wrong moves that evening IMHO.

Movie time..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe it is likely that any transgression by Mr Yantis toward the Deputies was verbal in nature.

Sometimes, that's all it takes.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Could the prosecutor reveal the officer's prior "use of force" problem to a G.J.?

We've all been schooled, both on this thread and by watching "Law and Order", and know that it couldn't be used in any trial, but how about G.J. proceedings?

Well, first...what problem are you talking about? A Grand Jury can hear anything, but it is not prudent to tell them anything that can't be sustained or is not the truth.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

My understanding is that the bull was laying there bleeding out from wounds inflicted by Andy and Barney but I wasn't there and neither were you.....
The one thing I an positive of though.....regardless of what the report says is that Yantis did not intentionally open fire on either deputy...
Trigger happy???? In my mind yes....and now they need to justify it in a "report"....keeping in mind that eye witnesses are unreliable...and only these "experienced" LEO's are qualified to recall waht they saw....

The bull may very well have been lying exactly where the pictured shows, but my point is the people may not have been in the same position as they were when the shooting occurred

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Then there is the roughing up of the wife that caused a heart attack trying to treat her husband.Where did the deputies stupidity end that night."

As I posted earlier, I'll bet that their stupidity fell inside their Departmental polices, both in the shooting and the aftermath.

There will be no criminal charges.

Hopefully, there will be TWO Civil Lawsuits filed; One against the County, and one against the Deputies.

Otherwise, the Deputies will skate completely when the County's Ins. Co. writes a check for the limit of their coverage in an out of court settlement.

Getting huge Judgements against them as individuals may be the only "Justice" Mr. Yantis will ever receive.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Otherwise, the Deputies will skate completely when the County's Ins. Co. writes a check for the limit of their coverage in an out of court settlement.

OR

And a large monetary award coming from the Taxpayers of the County is not sufficient.

Gene, do you just type whatever the Holy Spirit leads you to say?

1st its the tax payers, now its the insurance company.

I believe it is likely that you post whatever will illicit the most subjective response....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I obviously don't know any more about what happened out there than anybody else, but you are probably right. If there were any clear evidence of criminal conduct, the investigating agencies would not be sitting on it. I doubt that there is any evidence to show that the Deputies were clearly justified either, or it would be released to quell the rumor mill. My guess is that it was a typical clusterf**k.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by ltppowell

I obviously don't know any more about what happened out there than anybody else, but you are probably right. If there were any clear evidence of criminal conduct, the investigating agencies would not be sitting on it. I doubt that there is any evidence to show that the Deputies were clearly justified either, or it would be released to quell the rumor mill. My guess is that it was a typical clusterf**k.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well, first...what problem are you talking about? A Grand Jury can hear anything, but it is not prudent to tell them anything that can't be sustained or is not the truth.

Pardon the question.

The 14 grand paid out to the victim of his heavy handedness is not a "problem", since he was not convicted of any wrongdoing.

We shouldn't believe those lyin' ass "commoners", you know. In L.A. County [I believe that's the jurisdiction I read about] over 1400 allegations of excessive force resulted in charges being filed in THREE cases.

It's REALLY hard to prosecute cops for anything they do on duty.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, I hope they release any body cam video, so we can drag this thread out another page or two...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

It must be an awesome feeling to wake up every morning and pin the badge on and say to yourself, "if I really f*ck up bad today and kill a sumbitch, nothing will happen to me"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

On that we can agree.....

And don't think for a minute that I believe either deputy is guilty of murder but they do some culpability IMO.....

I'd wager that there was allot of ego and even a few F U's going on and it appears that both Yantis and the deputy participated in discharging the rifle......the deputies own everything that happened after that though....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mirage243

It must be an awesome feeling to wake up every morning and pin the badge on and say to yourself, "if I really f*ck up bad today and kill a sumbitch, nothing will happen to me"

Not as awesome as knowing I get paid to do it.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by mirage243

Not as awesome as knowing I get paid to do it.

Do you still pin a badge on in your current position? wink

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Page 83 of 175 1 2 81 82 83 84 85 174 175

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1minute, 007FJ, 1936M71, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,570 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,558
Posts18,473,116
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.