Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you like HiPowers. I have one of the same vintage I bought new around 1990. It is a nice gun and a good shooter, but the trigger sucks. I almost traded it off on a Glock. I suppose I am glad I kept it, but I don't ever really use it. The poly wonder nines have generally eclipsed the HiPower. There is nothing wrong with one, but you have to want one to spend that kind of money on a heavily worn HiPower.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If that pic is an example of what they're hawking, they're nuts. Usually, you have a choice to get a "hand-picked" for a couple bucks more. That can sometimes be worth the extra coin.

I would have thought at that price, those were the hand-picked.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They're great guns, that's a very fair price, but if you want one, you'd better get on it. They never last more than a day or so at AIM.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Though I own an old Belgian made HP, I am not really a fan in stock form.

With that said, the Israeli HPs may be a bargain, as I would be willing to bet that once they dry up, and a few years pass, that it may just become one of those "must have" variations, due to the history of them.

Might not be that bad of an investment. I don't think it was more than a dozen years ago that I thought paying $450 for a 4" P&R Model 29 was nuts.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't think they'll be a 'must-have' variation in my lifetime.
But that may be saying more about me than the pistol!

Link to the Israeli Hi-Power history:

> http://www.handgunsandammunition.com/hi-power-forum/11214-thoughts-israeli-high-powers.html <

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have one i bought a number of years ago. It is a typical military finish gun, but it is a belgian made hi power with all that means. I wouldn't wait too long, that is a very fair price.
I recently picked up a cz75b, and the compact both israel guns. The compact has "massada" on the side and a tempora on the side too. Both really good shooters.
The key is belgian made, as there are variations, israel started putting them together themselves.
I ended up with a couple of belgian mags, the original factory manual, and i got an english holster for it. Kind of cool i think.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Though I own an old Belgian made HP, I am not really a fan in stock form.

With that said, the Israeli HPs may be a bargain, as I would be willing to bet that once they dry up, and a few years pass, that it may just become one of those "must have" variations, due to the history of them.

Might not be that bad of an investment. I don't think it was more than a dozen years ago that I thought paying $450 for a 4" P&R Model 29 was nuts.

i have been chasing military guns for years. It is a true statement. Anybody remember the 69dolar swedish brand new mausers? or the 69dollar schmidt rubins? or geez the 49dollar turkish mausers? or the 50dollar SKS? or 1200rounds of 8mm for 70bucks.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Grab it if you want one. A cop gun is typically carried far more than shot, I imagine even in Israel. As for the price, $500 is not a bad price even without the military/police cachet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I fooled with the HiPower years ago, mostly because the gun press of the day raved about it. After some time on one, I wondered what all the shouting was about. In the end I liked the 92G Centurion or the CZ75 a whole lot better.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Well, I sold mine. It was a nice gun, especially after the magazine safety was removed and the trigger honed a little, but too small for my hands to use as a belt gun and too big to conceal readily. But you're right, it was more of a deal in 1935 than it is now.

You must have big hands (like me) if you really like the 75 and 92. A smaller person might easily prefer a little less grip.

Gary Reeder is buying those Israeli HPs and slicking them up, rebluing with his Black Chromex finish, and selling them like hotcakes. If anybody wants a $1500 9mm . . .

Last edited by Hogeye; 11/20/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Reeder has a cadre of well-heeled customers who buy up his stuff, about as fast as he can make it. I am not among them and if I won the lottery tomorrow, John Linebaugh's phone would ring for sure.

I wear a large glove Hogeye, without straining to get them on; but I am an old DA revolver guy (N frames) who learned to adapt as things came along.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a couple of HP's here that need work, one a Mk III the other a Belgian Browning. If you like 1911's it hard to dislike a HP. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by SargeMO
I fooled with the HiPower years ago, mostly because the gun press of the day raved about it. After some time on one, I wondered what all the shouting was about. In the end I liked the 92G Centurion or the CZ75 a whole lot better.

Yep,

I really like the CZs and would take a CZ75 over a BHP any day. That said, a custom BHP done right is a pretty nice gun. I have mostly worked with them in stock form (Brit military guns) and they were real dogs.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I bought this one a few years back and it's now a favored shooter after my regular practice regimen. I had it reparked, the rear sight notch opened up slightly and the mag safety removed. Great shooting pistols with a little history thrown in.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 11/20/15.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
as much as i love hi powers, among many other things, the cz75 is an improved version in a lot of respects.
While there was more than one reason for picking up a cz75b and c, part of it was the way they felt and lined up in the hand.
dare i say it? The son of the 1911 after they decided to improve it?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RGK
I bought this one a few years back and it's now a favored shooter after my regular practice regimen. I had it reparked, the rear sight notch opened up slightly and the mag safety removed. Great shooting pistols with a little history thrown in.
Bob

[Linked Image]

that is a pretty piece.
i was talking to a guy a few weeks ago that picked up an israeli cz75. In the process of getting that yuk finish off for an eventual reblue, slicking the gizzards, etc. If one likes to do that kind of stuff they are good building blocks.
I have seen more than one custom hipower, and they are pretty sweet.
A long time ago, before the current glut of hicap 9mm's, a hi power is what you went to. I fell in love the first time i dumped a mag into a wheel rim target at 25yards as fast as i could. Theyjust stayed on point.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 11/21/15.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Reeder has a cadre of well-heeled customers who buy up his stuff, about as fast as he can make it. I am not among them and if I won the lottery tomorrow, John Linebaugh's phone would ring for sure.

I wear a large glove Hogeye, without straining to get them on; but I am an old DA revolver guy (N frames) who learned to adapt as things came along.

Gary ruined a new Taurus .44 Special for me. He converted it to a round butt and it looked like a 6 year old child had done it. He did a "trigger job" which resulted in misfires about every other time...and to top it off, he laser engraved my name on the side of it without my permission. I gave the junk away.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I rebuilt (basically Frankenstiened) some CZ75s (along with old 1951 Helwans) for some people overseas.

Taking a bunch of worn out pieces and parts, and doing some minor work, I had some very reliable CZs on line very shortly.

The reliability of these parts guns was very much a testament to a great design.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

The ball peen hammer is a nice touch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (anothergun, Amos63, 300_savage, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,686 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,448
Posts18,528,826
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.