Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pointer
<br>I have built a few 270 Winchester Ackley Improved's. They work very well. What about a 270 Ack and a 338-06 Ack ? Use 270 Win brass for everything. Yeah , that sounds kind of weak as for a reason to build another rifle. But you could tell your wife you can save money because you will need only one kind of brass ![Linked Image]
<br>Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
From a purely practical, utilitarian point of view I don't think you can beat a 270 Win and 338 WM as a pair for all NA hunting.
<br>
<br>Both mine have 22" bbl's.
<br>
<br>Brad

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the angle Charlie!!! [Linked Image] But since I have the .338Win already I guess I'd have to go with a .264Win or maybe a .257Weatherby!!! [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>BTW, I what kind of velocities have you gotten out of the .270AI's?? You don't hear them bantered about as much as other AI cartridges.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pointer
<br>Usually about 50 to 100 fps is the norm. Or you can run the same velocity with a little lower pressure and help your brass last longer.
<br>I think the person who posted before you had an excellent idea. The 270 Win and the 338 Win mag. A man couldnt go wrong with this.
<br>Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
If it were me I'd take a 7-08 & .338 WM. Those should suit you fine.
<br>
<br> By the way, judging from your handle are you from Nebraska? I'm a huge 'Husker fan from down here in Louisiana. I catch a lot of crap from my friends for not liking LSU. What's up with the team this year? Hope they fix it soon..............GH

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For me, it would be a Rem 700 Classic in 250-3000 and a Pre 64 Mod 70 in 375 H&H. But heck, I'm a Luddite, and love the old stuff.
<br>
<br>Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am using a 350 Rem Mag (Rem 700 Classic) and any day now should receive a 260 AI (short action Rem BDL). Should cover about al NA game. I have ordered a new barrel in 33 cal to replace the 350 Rem Mag but I am in no hurry. Probably will become a 338 Rem SAUM.
<br>
<br> Hard to find two calibers more versatile than the 26 and the 33.
<br>
<br>HogWild

HogWild
I, as u should suspect will have nothing to do with a big bore. But as a deer and a very nice elk rifle. I would suggest the 280 remington. Ballistics are good. You can get up into the 180 gr bullets. A 140 is what I shoot with mine. This rifle will do a fine job of killing elk , deer, whatever you hunt.
<br>
<br>I realize all the big bore hunters are cringing, but hey thats the deal from here

SSH, Be vewy, vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Elmers'
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
These two should work. this is a pair of beretta mato's. The lower one is a 338 win mag and the top one is .280 rem.
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Good shooting, Weagle

Boy those are some lookers, looks like you must like the beretta. I have never talked to anyone who has had one.

SSH, Be vewy, vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Elmers'
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
How about .338-06 and .338 wm ?

[Linked Image from ]
I agree with all the posts about placement being a priority. Having said that, my two choices would be two rifles that I already have, a 264win mag and a 300 weatherby. I am always open to other suggestions and would hate to limit myself to only 2 since a good 30-06 that shoots 0.75" would be hard to say no to.

colorado pill pusher
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have no experience with game larger than deer but I have killed a ton of those. If forced to only one rifle for deer size game it would have to be a 257 Weatherby or a 25-06 Rem. Loaded with a good 100 gr. bullet.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i'm kinda in the same boat with PDS, although i've taken a couple of black bear...... if i were pinned down to one rifle it would have to be a 25-06, although my second bear was killed cleanly with a .243.......
<br>
<br>if i were to pick a pair it would be a .243 and the .338 WM. these 2 cover such a broad range of utility. they are literally good to go on everything from ground squirrels to grizzly bear.
<br>
<br>my knowledge is not complete though. i read a post recently that claimed that the .375 H&H was both more effective, AND recoiled less than the .338. I have never fired a .375, so i don't know. Can anyone fill me in???

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 338 vs 375 debate gets loud and long.
<br>
<br>The 338Win has never impressed me,but the 375 has never NOT impressed me. That is my personal take,but I love the 338Ultra and it is a whole 'nuther animal(seperate from the Winny version of the same diameter).
<br>
<br>Felt recoil is very subjective. Stock fit,balance,etc. are the determining factors,along with projectile weight. I find the 375 FAR from abusive in a rifle that fits me,same goes the 338Winny. I've shot '06's that drove me much worse,due to sheety stock design.
<br>
<br>A Hot 25,coupled with the 338Ultra,will cover one hell of a bunch of territory rather handily.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nebraska,
<br>
<br>A 30/06 will take any of the game that you mention and do it very well. This is all that you need.
<br>
<br>You don't mention varmint hunting which has a much longer season than game hunting and I would want a rifle more suitable for that also since you can have at least two. Of course the 30/06 will bag any varmint and do it with authority but smaller cartridges have less recoil.
<br>
<br>There are plenty of combination game and varmint cartridges from .243 on up. For bigger game you don't need anything larger than a 7MM Magnum or the 06. Far better shooting can be done with cartridges of moderate recoil. The ability to aim well is far more effective than heavy kickers.
<br>
<br>The guys here in these debates will always increment cartridge selection up and up. It's far more important to practice and fire good shots.
<br>
<br>A rifle in .257 Weatherby is the worst that I can think of right now for practicing. After very few shots the throat will start to change and the rifles are heavy and long. No thanks. A .338 Ultra will kick so hard that you will not want to shoot it. Lot's of superlative adjectives by a skilled writer/hunter will not change these facts.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don,
<br>
<br>How many shots do your 257Wby barrels last? Do you feel performance on Game,offsets that round count? How many rounds did it take before your SAAMI throat,started to really grow in length and affect accuracy? How many rounds did it take before the barrel no longer exhibited the accuracy you felt was required,for it to be a viable choice on Game? What does your #1 contoured,26" barreled 257Wby weigh,in it's KS stock,Gentry bases and wearing a Leupie?
<br>
<br>Regarding your 338Ultra,what loads do you favor for practice? Which might you prefer for "real"? How might you weigh it's recoil,verse a 375H&H with 270's and your favorite load in your Ultra?
<br>
<br>I smell MUCH speculation and zero firsthand experience. Adjectives come much easier,than experience,as you reliably PROVE. You can bullshit the fans,but you can't bullshit the players.
<br>
<br>All of these is much easier,when you done it,got it and don't have to guess at ANY of it.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Big Stick, I have come across 2 used rifles nice last week in a .375 caliber. One is an older Remington with nice wood, custom Douglas heavy barrel (it is barrel heavy) and iron sights, with Weaver mounts and rings, no scope. The barrel front end has holes in it though.
<br>
<br>The other rifle is a Winchester model 70 with just plain wood stock and 3 position safety and iron sights, it is also control fed to. The Winchester is a newer rifle than the Remington.
<br>The price on these rifles is the same $750.oo. Both have good blueing on them and minor nicks on the wood.
<br>
<br>So my question to you is what would be the better rifle to have in hand on a big bear hunt, also which is the better rifle for the money?

"The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear It's Self"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The best rifle,is the one you've the most faith in and can shoot the best.
<br>
<br>Weight and balance are very critical,to me. Stock fit,another crucial component,to finding true love. What feels best to me,just might leave everyone else lukewarm,at best. "Feel" is sooooo subjective.
<br>
<br>As far as push feed verse control round feed,that is for others to debate. I've never felt wanting with a pushfed 700,despite having numerous CRF rifles. I built both my 375H&H Ackley's on 700's and was/am pleased. I built my 338Ultra on a Sako L61R and am equally pleased,with it's pushfed geometry.
<br>
<br>A heavy barrel on a 375,is a step backward in my opinion. Everything I'm gonna do with a 375,is going to involve footwork. My preference would be a moderate length barrel,in a light to moderate contour. It isn't a Prairie Dog Rifle that is going to see a high volume of fire,in a single setting. I'd really weigh handiness.
<br>
<br>$750 sounds pretty steep to me,on the 700(REAL steep). The Winchester is priced pretty high too,assuming it is of recent manufacture.
<br>
<br>My advice would be to test drive(actually shoot) a couple different models and see what fits you best,then shop hard for the best deal on that particular version.....................
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10ring1, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 2,552 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,332
Posts18,487,602
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.