Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
My degree is in Biology (genomics) and My wife's is in Medicine and our degrees are key to our careers.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My youngest sister got her degree in Psychology and her Master's in Economics from LSE. She is now the Economist for the State of Alaska working on rural energy issues. Psychology and Economics have a lot in common.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I come from the other side of the equation here. Graduated high school in 1980. I didn't got straight to college. Two years later and I was working a variety of jobs that obviously weren't career builders in any field. Went back to Youngstown State for programming. In the mean time I ended up in the optical field working in a wholesale lab. 30 years later I'm still in the optical industry, and I never finished school. A better job came along in my field up in Cleveland, and I left school. I'm proud of the career I've built. I'll never make huge money, and most likely would have done better with more education. I don't regret my choices, as I wasn't a very good student. I currently manage a Vision Center for Wal-Mart and mentor 4 younger Vision Center Managers. I like what I do, and there's a roof over our head, and food on the table.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I like what I do, and there's a roof over our head, and food on the table.

Only one thing better, that is doing that and living in Montana...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
My oldest daughter got a master's degree in medical illustration and she's more than good at it. Here's a page of notes she doodled up for one of her classes.

[Linked Image]

She got a good job in it right out of college,..worked it for about 4 years and didn't really like it. Her boyfriend writes code and got her started on the process. She self taught herself in about a year, then got a job writing code making more money than she did doing medical illustration,..with no formal training.

She just kind of decides what she wants to do, then does it.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Used GI Bill to go to college. Asked around to see what was the hardest class most of my college grad friends ever took. They all ranted about their Incredibly Difficult Economics class/classes that ruined their perfect GPA's. So I got a degree in it.

Every interview I've ever sat in the interviewer has shared their own Economics Class Woes. So it played out like I had hoped.

A BS degree in Economics makes you really good at graphing. I can graph the [bleep] out of stuff. As you can imagine I've never used most of it. And I'm not employed in that field.

I did learn how to spot trends and analyze turns in the market on an above average level. This has helped me be financially successful no matter the economic conditions.

Would I do it again? No. I wanted to quit after my first semester. That was the right decision.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Graduated with a degree in Forestry and wildlife management with a minor in biology.

I was recently promoted to vice president of engineering. Go figure.

Otto is my co-pilot.
C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This past September marked my fiftieth year of working in the forest products industry. Shortly after completing high school I went logging, and then I started working the swing shift in sawmills during the school year to pay for the cost of obtaining a B.S. in forestry. At 68 years old I certainly don’t have the lungs and legs that I had in the summer of 1965, but I am still pawing around in the brush, on a part-time basis, appraising timber for a sawmill. CP.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Re Shrapnel -"Only one thing better, that is doing that and living in (Alaska)"

Fixed for you.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I worked 30 years as a teacher and coach before retiring 5 years ago. Getting the BA degree and adding a Masters a few years later paid off well for me.

But I'm not so sure it is the value it used to be. After I graduated in 1980 my 1st 4 months salary earned me enough to pay for 4 years of college. My son graduated HS in 2007. For him to go to the same college, graduate in 4 years with the same degree, and go into the same job, it would take about 40 months salary to pay for the 4 years tuition.

He went to 3 different colleges in 3 years and realized it just wasn't gonna work. He was accepted into an Elecrical Apprenticeship program and will finish in 1 more year. He is making more money right now than most of the other guys he went to HS with that have college degrees and when he finishes his training will be making about 80% of what I earned my last year before retiring.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
How many of the 94 million Americans out of work have degrees and still can't find jobs????????

Degrees are worthless without full-time decent paying JOBS!

And the liberal garbage most colleges teach in nothing short of progressive mind washing.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JMR40

But I'm not so sure it is the value it used to be. After I graduated in 1980 my 1st 4 months salary earned me enough to pay for 4 years of college. My son graduated HS in 2007. For him to go to the same college, graduate in 4 years with the same degree, and go into the same job, it would take about 40 months salary to pay for the 4 years tuition.

Yes and no. I never really got a big bump out of my master's degree in my field, but for many fields a Master's is now the new Bachelors.

On top of that, college costs have gone completely nuts, inflated by easy federally guaranteed student loans. That gives us people with degrees in Music History they pay $120,000 for......... Good luck trying to pay that back giving piano lessons....

On the other hand, graduate from a cheap state school with a bachelor's in electrical engineering, and you make that tuition back in no time. Starting salaries north of 60K makes life a lot easier.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
My parents spent umpteen thousand dollars so that I can now tell anyone who asks what the Latin binomial of Douglas fir is, or that "biloba" is the only species in the genus ginkgo. Quercus is the oak genus and aspirin (salicylic acid) comes from the bark of willow trees, genus Salix.

This information has helped me earn exactly $0.00 in the last 40 years but hey, thanks, Mom and Dad!

Btw, I enjoyed having sex with college girls, too! wink

well, i don't hardly know what to say. honestly, i never had sex with a college girl, although i know that's it's probably pretty good.

pinus taeda, pinus elliotti, pinus strobus, and even pinus virginiana can be used as input to help one make a good living. but, on the other hand, plenty of folks don't choose to follow the path.

right now, we should be thankful for the red chi-coms and their willingness to recycle paper product and ship it back to the US.. we are in a global economy afterall.

but don't ever dare get a degree in forest management, marketing & utilzation unless you believe in it, or someone else is footing the bill.

forget the underlying eco=system that supports everything humans do or want to accomplish on the Earth. it's all for free, just go out there and make money. afterall, that's what it's all about, right?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yeah, helping a son navigate thru all the obstacles and getting an education that will get him employed and making a good income with good long prospects, and not burdened with student loans and debts, can be a handful....

I think in today's world, best advise is for a young person to go to a community college... what they usually teach is a lot more applicable to employment, along with less of a tuition rape....

even tho I have plenty of post high school education, I still go take classes at the local community college.. to refresh knowledge or learn new stuff more in depth.. I just audit the courses, so I don't have to worry about a grade...
just have fun basically...and take classes a lot more seriously than I did as an undergrad.. lets face it, how many other guys did and will admit, to spending more time and effort into getting loaded and laid, than they spent efforts with the books?

Last semester met a young man I got real impressed with...

was in the automotive class I was taking...comes from a mudhole town mainly full of hippies and has more dogs than people for a population...he desires to become a doctor...

his parents have no money... so his plan was to earn an associates degree in automotive technology... so he can work as a mechanic...he graduated, and now is employable so he can support himself and pay for school... he's over there taken classes in A&P right now, and getting himself set up for what its going to take to get himself to PA school...if that goes well, he'll pass that hurdle and then decide if Med School is in his future or not...

I'm impressed because Devon is relying on himself to do his education, and do so while not racking up a hug debt to have to pay off one day...he has a plan and has a route to get there.. plus is doing it in step, to give the flexibility to change as he needs to....

Good to see a young man with his head on straight, than many clueless suburbanite kids, who go get themselves into a huge 6 figure student loan debt, in a discipline that they will never find a job in....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wildlife Managment with a minor in Ranching. So yes.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Anyone who goes to college and ends up with a Liberal Arts degree and $100k in debt, has parents that have no clue about giving them directions. Just MHO. Even if they have to work and pay for college, they should do their best to avoid debt but for sure, study something that will get them a job, medical, engineering, computers SOMETHING. Do your homework

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Seafire
Yeah, helping a son navigate thru all the obstacles and getting an education that will get him employed and making a good income with good long prospects, and not burdened with student loans and debts, can be a handful....

I think in today's world, best advise is for a young person to go to a community college... what they usually teach is a lot more applicable to employment, along with less of a tuition rape....

even tho I have plenty of post high school education, I still go take classes at the local community college.. to refresh knowledge or learn new stuff more in depth.. I just audit the courses, so I don't have to worry about a grade...
just have fun basically...and take classes a lot more seriously than I did as an undergrad.. lets face it, how many other guys did and will admit, to spending more time and effort into getting loaded and laid, than they spent efforts with the books?

Last semester met a young man I got real impressed with...

was in the automotive class I was taking...comes from a mudhole town mainly full of hippies and has more dogs than people for a population...he desires to become a doctor...

his parents have no money... so his plan was to earn an associates degree in automotive technology... so he can work as a mechanic...he graduated, and now is employable so he can support himself and pay for school... he's over there taken classes in A&P right now, and getting himself set up for what its going to take to get himself to PA school...if that goes well, he'll pass that hurdle and then decide if Med School is in his future or not...

I'm impressed because Devon is relying on himself to do his education, and do so while not racking up a hug debt to have to pay off one day...he has a plan and has a route to get there.. plus is doing it in step, to give the flexibility to change as he needs to....

Good to see a young man with his head on straight, than many clueless suburbanite kids, who go get themselves into a huge 6 figure student loan debt, in a discipline that they will never find a job in....

i agree with everything you say. your son is to be commended. and if the bureaucracy doesn't re-institute the draft to fight the King's enemies, he'll have a shot at making a good living, based upon his own efforts, and determination.

obviously a lot of what is happening now is beyond the control or direction of individuals no matter how hard they plan or work.

but, at the end of the day, hard work goes a long way in getting to the next step on the rung of the ladder.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Yes half way, I have 2 degrees one in ag/ economics and a 2nd in accounting. I'm a CPA that works for a private organization as their finance officer. My wife also is in her degree field. Both of us over 30 years in our respective careers.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jbmi
How many of you are working in the field of your college degree?
I graduated 45 years ago and until I retired I worked in the field of my degree.
One of my 3 sons work in his degree field, but the other two have degrees and work in area's totally different from what they went to school for.
The reason I ask is the place I normally go for coffee every morning has a great guy working the counter, early 30's loves his job but has a degree in psychology, spent 4 years and some good money and never used it.
So if you had to do it over, would you change your majors ?
my brother has a masters in psychology, he's a personal trainer. unless you have a phd in that field you're not going to make a lot of money.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
How many of the 94 million Americans out of work have degrees and still can't find jobs????????

Degrees are worthless without full-time decent paying JOBS!

And the liberal garbage most colleges teach in nothing short of progressive mind washing.

Right now we have a bifurcated job market.

For fully educated people who finished their degree we are near full employment, for the uneducated, the story is very different.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,769 guests, and 1,391 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,725
Posts18,475,871
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.