Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Any body have one of these and like them or? Pluses and minuses? Advantages? disadvantages?
Thanks.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I almost traded for a Sig P938-22 version but the deal fell through. Same frame, quality, and size as the 9MM pistol.
I like the size, looks, and feel of the P938, and that it has an external hammer, and single-action trigger.

>> https://www.durysguns.com/images/uploads/21483/161224.jpg <<

I think it's like a perfect little 1911.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Any body have one of these and like them or? Pluses and minuses? Advantages? disadvantages?
Thanks.
I've had one a little over a year. I like it very much. The disadvantages are about the same as a 1911. The main advantage it has over other 9mm compacts is its size. The Kel Tec P9 might be a bit smaller, but the SIG actually works, which is an advantage to me over a Safariman Special. The SIG is smaller than a Glock, M&P Compact or Kahr. It is about the same size as a Colt Mustang but in a much better caliber than the 380. I have not had any problems with mine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only new information since our PM exchange earlier in the year is that I got rid of mine after 3+ years. I think it is a decent gun but I just did not have the confidence that it would stand up to high mileage.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I found mine had a lot of important surfaces that were left rough, that should have been smoothed over - like the breech face, for example. I did a bunch of polishing, and also strengthened the recoil spring. It ran flawlessly afterward.

I think "carried a lot, shot just enough for familiarity" applies to these little 9mm's. But they do work, with those caveats.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I've had one for six months. The SIG pocket holster is nice for concealled carry. The recoil feels to me the same as shooting a 45 service pistol

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
I've had one for six months. The SIG pocket holster is nice for concealled carry. The recoil feels to me the same as shooting a 45 service pistol
The recoil is certainly a plus for the 938. It kicks a whole lot less than my NAA 380. Certainly no worse than a full-size, all-steel .45 auto.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I bought one last week,
It runs fine,has excellent sights,and I can actually hit with it.

After 80 rounds in about 30 minutes.it was about all I wanted in that session.

Easy to carry concealed,8 rounds and can hit what I'm pointing at= win/win/win !

And,it's a Sig !!

Mike

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
The only new information since our PM exchange earlier in the year is that I got rid of mine after 3+ years. I think it is a decent gun but I just did not have the confidence that it would stand up to high mileage.

Well, I did get one last spring and am very pleased with it but thought I'd see how others are faring and reviewing theirs.
I got the Scorpian model and a total of four (two extended) magazines. I like the size, the weight, the controls, and with Remimgton 124-grain Golden Sabers, it shoots right where my sights look. With a right hand (I'm a lefty) clip holster carried IWB, it's accessible to my strong side and very concealable, even comfortable.
Though the controls are different I went Sig because of such good experiences with my P220 arms P226.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Well, I did get one last spring and am very pleased with it but thought I'd see how others are faring and reviewing theirs.
I got the Scorpian model and a total of four (two extended) magazines. I like the size, the weight, the controls, and with Remimgton 124-grain Golden Sabers, it shoots right where my sights look. With a right hand (I'm a lefty) clip holster carried IWB, it's accessible to my strong side and very concealable, even comfortable.
Though the controls are different I went Sig because of such good experiences with my P220 arms P226.
I think they're excellent. They're not a breakthrough design or anything and it makes you wonder why in the hot place somebody didn't build one sooner.

Good to hear you got those extra mags. Mine only came with one, IIRC. I hit the very next gunshow and got one because the gunstore I got the gun at was out. It would be real nice if I could find it. I bought another one at Academy that the dude specifically said would fit the 938 and it didn't. I finally scored an extra a week or two ago.

I guess that is one downside...the mags are pretty hard to load.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had mine several years. I think the trigger pull is better on the newer ones. Mine was terrible. Replaced the plastic trigger with a SS one. Also bought a new hammer spring.
I'm a long way from a gunsmith but thanks to utube I was able to swap these parts. Improved the trigger pull a bunch but still very hard.
All that being said I carry it every day and it is very accurate. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

Because of the reliability of my 220 is exactly the reason I bought my P938 !!
Mike

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I like mine. Feels great in hand and I can shoot tight groups with it. Being old school (or a nervous nelly) when I carry it, which isn't too often, I carry with a loaded chamber with the hammer down. Controls are easily manipulated and getting the hammer down safely isn't an issue. I bought the P938 because a small 9 was on my shopping list.

I never use the 6-round magazine and have purchased 4 additional 7-round mags. The 7-round mag gives a better feel and easily fits in my pocket.

Norm -
NRA Member Since 1966
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Deputy_Norm
I like mine. Feels great in hand and I can shoot tight groups with it. Being old school (or a nervous nelly) when I carry it, which isn't too often, I carry with a loaded chamber with the hammer down. Controls are easily manipulated and getting the hammer down safely isn't an issue. I bought the P938 because a small 9 was on my shopping list.

I never use the 6-round magazine and have purchased 4 additional 7-round mags. The 7-round mag gives a better feel and easily fits in my pocket.
Talk about a blast from the past! Howdy Deputy Norm.

One thing about the seven round mag, you can get six rounds in it.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

Is it safe to carry with a round in the chamber with the hammer down ?

Mike

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Safe yes, but not fool-proof. The firing pin is shorter than the block around it. The spring holds it to the rear which allows the hammer impart sufficient energy to send the pin forward through the bolt face to fire the round.

When the hammer is down the firing pin is pushed forward to allow the hammer to rest on the slide. But the front of the pin is still behind the bolt face.

This is old-timer stuff (I'm 72 and have been shooting for 60 or so years). I learned it from an old timer in my early days. One younger shooter I know ha learned the same thing.

You must be sober and thoughtful while putting the hammer down.

Then I'm OK with putting it in a pocket holster for carry.

Norm -
NRA Member Since 1966
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks Ethan!

Norm -
NRA Member Since 1966
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Safe yes, but not fool-proof. The firing pin is shorter than the block around it. The spring holds it to the rear which allows the hammer impart sufficient energy to send the pin forward through the bolt face to fire the round.

When the hammer is down the firing pin is pushed forward to allow the hammer to rest on the slide. But the front of the pin is still behind the bolt face.

This is old-timer stuff (I'm 72 and have been shooting for 60 or so years). I learned it from an old timer in my early days. One younger shooter I know ha learned the same thing.

You must be sober and thoughtful while putting the hammer down.

Then I'm OK with putting it in a pocket holster for carry.

Wouldn't the firing pin block work to prevent contact between the firing pin and the ammo if the finger is taken off the trigger as soon as the hammer starts being lowered?

I carried mine cocked and locked in a Ritchie pocket holster. The firing pin block prevents detonation unless the trigger is pulled. The safety never came off inside the pocket at any time I carried it, and the trigger pull is pretty stiff even if the trigger somehow got uncovered. That seems safer to me than following your procedure because you have an extra manipulation on the holstering end and a more complicated manipulation (cocking the hammer versus swiping the safety) on the firing end. You obviously feel better going the other way on that, but it seems to go against the safety characteristics built into the design.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I spent a good portion of the morning looking at,and playing with mine !

Here's what I found out on mine.

There is a half cock notch on the hammer(more like a quarter cock),in that position there;s no way you can pull the trigger hard enough to make the hammer fall !!

Also,like mentioned earlier in the thread,without pulling the trigger,the firing pin saftey won't disengage.

So,
in my non expert opinion,yes it is safe to carry with a hot chamber with the hammer in the half(1/4)cock position.
Mike

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
BTW
I don't feel like cocking the hammer is that big of a deal,as opposed to clicking off the saftey.
This from a long time revolver shooter.
Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (257robertsimp, 7mm_Loco, 808outdoors, AKislander, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 13 invisible), 1,403 guests, and 824 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,494
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.