Ever own, or fly a Piper Cub?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Excellent aircraft.

But I prefer one that not a tail dragger... Like a Cessna 172.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've been in one a bunch of times.

Airplane people think they're really neat.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Why??
You thinkin about the 90hp J-3 on floats F/S in N.Ont.
J-3s perform good but slow.
PA-11 are good all around personal plane.
I like the PA-18-90, the rest of that family cost to much for me to operate.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Ever own, or fly a Piper Cub?

No but flew a Piper Warrior for some time.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Tricycle gear are for sissies!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
not me but I've spent more time than I care to in the back "seat" of one going somewhere out there.

if they outlaw waterboarding, we can always throw a bad guy in the back seat of a Cub and let him sit in there for 7 hours.

he'll spill his guts (grin)

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
not me but I've spent more time than I care to in the back "seat" of one going somewhere out there.

if they outlaw waterboarding, we can always throw a bad guy in the back seat of a Cub and let him sit in there for 7 hours.

he'll spill his guts (grin)

Isn't that "cruel and unusual"?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Travis, didn't you tell me you were having a cub once - until the mama bear showed up?

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Yes, until I got a wife that spent all my money! The J-3 was fun, but the Super Cub was better. I really liked Jimmy Franklin's Super Cub with the 150HP in it. That is the plane I learned to fly in.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Spent a winter in one. I was shotgunin for yotes. We were new and pretty careful. We had a coach that would tell us how to keep from shooting ourselves down. Jim Good was a pipeline pilot. He had some very interesting stories, flying low level, all the time, in what seems like flat country. I really enjoyed flying right after a snow storm. Not many tracks out,was a hoot, to get on a yote and try to get him. We got more fox that yotes. Set down a few times to get our catch and had some interesting take offs. I think the Cub helped us newbies, by being easy to keep in the air at low speeds and low level.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes I've flown them, forgiving to a point but will kill you just as dead as anything else should you become complacent.

Edit to add: Remembering a shocking death via the docile J-3

Brook Berringer, the Nebraska quarterback who overcame two collapsed lungs to become an essential part of the 1994 Cornhusker championship season, was killed yesterday afternoon in the crash of a private plane in an alfalfa field in Raymond, Neb. He was 22.Apr 19, 1996

Last edited by FlyboyFlem; 11/28/15.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The classic old saying was that the Piper Cub was the safest plane ever built: it was just barely fast enough to kill you.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by WildWest
Spent a winter in one. I was shotgunin for yotes. We were new and pretty careful. We had a coach that would tell us how to keep from shooting ourselves down. Jim Good was a pipeline pilot. He had some very interesting stories, flying low level, all the time, in what seems like flat country. I really enjoyed flying right after a snow storm. Not many tracks out,was a hoot, to get on a yote and try to get him. We got more fox that yotes. Set down a few times to get our catch and had some interesting take offs. I think the Cub helped us newbies, by being easy to keep in the air at low speeds and low level.

I've done the same. I was flying one when my shooter shot 3" off the end of the prop. Felt like the engine was going to break loose of its mounts before I got it shut down and did a dead stick landing. We sawed 3" off the other side, and dressed the cuts with a file and managed to get it home. Definitely one of the times when I had laundry to do afterwards.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My uncles in Montana owned one. Never flown them but spent a lot of hours in the back seat to offset the weight of the fuel tank.

They were great for checking cattle in the breaks and making a run to Lewistown or Great Falls for parts.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
A good friend of mine owns a Super Cub which I've been up in more than a few times...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The classic old saying was that the Piper Cub was the safest plane ever built: it was just barely fast enough to kill you.

An old saying but quite factual in content...stalling one at low altitude is a sure trip to the morgue unless it's not your time to check out.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At an airshow I attended in the '80s a fellow was doing a very low altitude routine in a Cub. He did a spin, recovering pretty low and then went right into a loop, but started the loop a little too low and slammed into the dirt trying to pull out of the bottom of the loop.

The nose hit, then the wings broke forward and everything disappeared in a cloud of dust. When the dust settled enough to see, the pilot walked out of the wreck and greeted the paramedics rushing to the scene. He escaped with only a few bruises and scratches. I guess it just wasn't his time.

Some of my pilot friends knew the pilot. He was very experienced but was about in his late sixties. They said he was extremely embarrassed about the accident. He retired from doing airshows. The airplane was eventually re-built and sold. He passed away a few years later.

I will never forget the visual of that Cub hitting the ground in a 30 degree nose-down attitude. I thought the pilot was done for.

Last edited by nifty-two-fifty; 11/28/15.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Don't know what you're looking for answer-wise, but I've got time in J-3's with both 65's and 85's and a handful of hours in the 150 horse Super Cub. Good airplanes, but a little short on creature comforts, and you can't hang enough power on one to make it fast. As has already been said, it's the safest airplane around - it can just barely kill you.

They're no worse to maintain than any other tube and rag airplane, minimal AD's, though the AD's on the struts and forks can be expensive. Speaking of which, if you're looking at a seaplane, corrosion will kill you when it comes to those lower strut fittings.

Myself and a lot of other guys would own one if the buy-in weren't so out of whack with what they actually are.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I should have said Super Cub,as the 150, I think got us out of trouble, when we had to use the horse power to get sum lift.
Jim made me shoot out of the left window,to keep me from shooting off parts of the plane. I did run out of ammo and jerked the gun back in the window,cutting the throttle. Was interesting as we were headed for a hill. The pilot knew better then to pull up so he hit the throttle, held it till the last minute, pulled flaps and we just cleared the hill. Whew! Got an ass chewing,he had told us to take off the knob from the throttle. Good fun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 16penny, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,647
Posts18,474,558
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.