-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
OP Offline
R
In the most recent Blue Book of Gun Values, I'm seeing that this particular gun is valued around $15,000.00 in Very Good condition. Is there any advice out there on this? Things to consider?

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
My advice would be to consult more sources or reread the blue book. An average 33 is closer to $1500 than $15000

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
No '86 expert here, but of the ones I see for sale, the .33 seems to be the least expensive. I'm sure a deluxe special order .33 in mint condition would bring a pretty penny though.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Levers
My advice would be to consult more sources or reread the blue book. An average 33 is closer to $1500 than $15000

This is the case. The blue book is made to sell to people unfamiliar with gun prices. As a resource it is quite inadequate...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
OP Offline
R
I guess I should've described further...my gun is a carbine with a 20" barrel which makes it a Trapper model.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
In order to value a special order gun, it would be best for you to get the gun to someone who knows them very well so that they can evaluate it. Pictures would certainly help people here to give a more detailed opinion. 20" 33 WCF are certainly not common and could be modified after it left the factory. Getting the factory letter info from the museum would be the place to start. If they confirm the special features, that's a big step.

Is it a 20" short rifle or a 20" carbine? Does it have any other special features (pistol grip, checkering, engraving, special sights, upgraded wood, etc)? And, probably most important, what condition are the metal and wood in? Has it been modified or refinished?

If you want to email pictures, pm me your email address and I'll send you mine.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

IMO the Blue Book is the most over-rated reference book out there.
I buy guns all over the country and don't ever understand their prices.
Auction prices ?

The last 1886 .33WCF I had, in a take down model, 60% gun, was traded to a dealer that has about 6 tables at every show. He toted it around for about 2 years
Before it was gone.
Last price I noted on it was $1200.00.

A special feature gun takes a lot of time and effort to evaluate.
Don't ever let emotion enter the evaluation.
Don't pay for condition that is NOT there.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Levers
In order to value a special order gun, it would be best for you to get the gun to someone who knows them very well so that they can evaluate it. Pictures would certainly help people here to give a more detailed opinion. 20" 33 WCF are certainly not common and could be modified after it left the factory. Getting the factory letter info from the museum would be the place to start. If they confirm the special features, that's a big step.

Is it a 20" short rifle or a 20" carbine? Does it have any other special features (pistol grip, checkering, engraving, special sights, upgraded wood, etc)? And, probably most important, what condition are the metal and wood in? Has it been modified or refinished?

If you want to email pictures, pm me your email address and I'll send you mine.

This is good advice. more rare than a 1886 trapper would be an 1886 that hasn't been modified in it's history at some time. They weren't made to be collectible, they became that way over years of use and abuse, making survivors in good shape collectible.

Typically, a trapper model would have a shorter barrel than 20", and I find no indication of them as available as a standard configuration. Special order would certainly make it a 20" gun, but a letter would need to verify that pedigree.

Condition is one of the main components to value and a refinish will hurt that value quite a bit. You do need someone that knows old Winchesters to validate it's originality, otherwise you may have a serviceable old 33 WCF that would be fun to shoot and hunt with...

Post up some pictures!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Factory records exist for M86's up to serial# 156,999 (there is a gap of approx. 5,000 missing numbers towards the end of this serial# range). If your rifle's serial number falls within this range, a letter from the Cody Museum would indicate the rifle's caliber (many have been re-barreled) and exact configuration the day that it left the factory....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A .33 Trapper...that's interesting!!
Never would have imagined they made them, even special order.
I've had 4-5 .33s over the yrs, all with standard 24" barrels, never even seen a 20" carbine.
I've had a number of variances, the last one I sold was a shotgun butt, 1/2 mag T/D in 95+ condition.
The one I kept is a crescent butt, full mag, solid frame in about 70%.
I like .33s & was fortunate enough to stock a small supply of reloading components for it.

Sure would be nice to see a pic of above gun.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 1234, 17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,556
Posts18,473,040
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.