-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Very slow season this year. Saw 4 bucks total and 40ish doe. The neighbors were wondering where the big bucks went. Well, when you don't drive and sit on your butts drinking beer this is what happens.

Turkeys every day. 26 total for this flock.
[Linked Image]

more baldness

[Linked Image]

POTUS made a comment about weapons of war being off the streets and I agree. So I took mine to the field.

62gr TSX and way too much Benchmark. 202 yards. Not much else to say.

[Linked Image]

Got the 308 dirty. I should probably sell it and buy a new one along with another super chicken, it got dirty also.

[Linked Image]

I threw a low BC 165gr Speer Hot-Cor at a small almost 10 point buck. He tried to grow the 10th point but it was lacking in effort.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 260madman; 11/29/15.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

GB1

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Good job.Still striking out here, saw only one buck today, maybe 140,which is probably the second best I've seen this year. Will try once more tomorrow and then the seasons over. Whats the cheekpiece you have on that .308?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This was my first time killing with my 308 and first with a 165 Hot-Cor. Case full of Varget and a 210 sparkler to set it off. Shot was 178 yards and the deer traveled 32 yards after the hit. I must say that this will not be the last time for this combo.

Exit

[Linked Image]

Entrance

[Linked Image]

Lungs that were very jello like in the cavity.

[Linked Image]

Exit side

[Linked Image]

When I first found him

[Linked Image]

I don't have a dog like Sam O so a quick toss and you get windchimes laugh

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Good job.Still striking out here, saw only one buck today, maybe 140,which is probably the second best I've seen this year. Will try once more tomorrow and then the seasons over. Whats the cheekpiece you have on that .308?

I believe it is a Beartooth Outfitters? I have had a couple for over 10 years. Closed cell foam of various thickness and a neoprene sleeve. Works slick and absorbs a little shock to the cheek also.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My shooting position wasn't the greatest for the buck. I was sitting in my blind and he was to the left, so I swung out the left window and grabbed the cross pole for the hub blind and used it for a brace. A little contorted but got it done.

I normally don't have my scopes turned up past 4 unless the deer are at 240 yards or farther. The super chicken wasn't ideal for quick shooting, and I do mean quick! But I finally bloodied that combo. Maybe next year I will tote the 20# 260 Rem with a 28" barrel just for kicks. That has an IOR that maxes out at 14X.

IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
You did a lot better than I did . I saw 2 does up north and one deer in southern Wis. Try hunting public land, you will be happy to be back where you are .

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have hunted public land during a late season doe hunt. It was used to scout for coyotes. Saw a lot of sign, didn't stumble upon a volunteer though. Depending on location and size of the public land it truly does suck.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Congrats. That should be a tender eating young buck!

I hear the same comments on our public land in TX. Yet for various game, we've done a lot of research and seems there is a gem of an area in each location if you do enough looking.

Obviously I"m not talking 100 acre parcels though.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
There are some good public lands. Very scarce though. I have done real good at times on public. Mostly , it sucks, but it is a place to hunt.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
In my area the river bottoms are over looked for deer. The parcels aren't wide but they hold deer and the ridges and valleys funnel them to it. Right place and time also plays into this. I usually see them on the ride home and no quick access to get a shot.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This was my first time killing with my 308 and first with a 165 Hot-Cor. Case full of Varget and a 210 sparkler to set it off. Shot was 178 yards and the deer traveled 32 yards after the hit. I must say that this will not be the last time for this combo.
I've used a lot of Hot-cors in a 270 and a 300 WSM. I've always been very impressed with them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I haven't had good luck with plain cup and core bullets from Hornady or Remington in 6.5. I figured these would hold up better and they gave the performance I expected from them.

1 of the guys that hunts where I do went from a 308 to a 30-06 because he had a bad experience with a doe he shot. Figured the -06 gave more knock down. He thinks cor-lokts are the bees knees and has 4 boxes of ammo. He says he has enough that he won't have to buy any until 25 years from now. Yes he checks zero with 2 shots once a year.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I concluded the autopsy yesterday on the deer I recovered Monday. At the point where I found him I began the dissection and discover him to have large cavities in the top of his lungs, from which lots of bleeding took place. Yesterday I completed the autopsy, finding a piece of mangled copper and lead, plus many small lead fragments in the area just under the spine.

I conclude rapid, radical lead poisoning,and significant loss of blood leading to immediate loss of blood pressure. He could not have been saved.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What's the specs on your 308? Looks short and handy!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
700 SPS Varmint chopped to 20". B&C varmint stock inletted for CDI Precision metal. AICS mags.

This was done before big R came out with their tactical models.

Pretty heavy combo but I didn't notice at the time. smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

474 members (1234, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 163bc, 12344mag, 40 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,455
Posts18,529,062
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.