Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#10739302 11/30/15
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Posted this in Hunting Rifles before Jorge told me this forum existed, so I will post here as well...

Thinking of buying a rifle chambered in .375 H&H, particularly a model 70 Winchester. My question is: do I want the Alaskan or the Safari Express? I understand the differences, but I am interested in first hand experience people may have with either. Also, if anyone has any other rifles in this chamfering under the $2k mark I should be looking at please let me know...I'd like sto stick with a Mauser style bolt gun.
Thanks for replies
Northerner

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Northerener, I found the Safari Express a very big rifle, more suited to the 458. Worth trying one before you buy.

Have no experience with the Alaskan model.

I sold my 375 Safari Express and had a friend make me a lighter from my 270 Classic.

I also like a nice Mauser 98, either standard or magnum action, for a 375H&H. I have both.

Good luck, look forward to seeing what you choose.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Like I've said, pick what fits you. (That means throwing it up, eyes closed and opening them to see if you are looking through the rings / iron sights with cheek weld make "going bang" happen for you without moving your head.

To discover which model(s) fit me I went to a gun show and tried on a lot of rifles. (Then I had to learn about LOP and junk like that!) I am not of average build -- hogbacks and Monte Carlo's or Lux of BDL, Brno/CZ etc. conformation go well with my longer neck. Many prefer the classic / straight stock which fits the average bear best.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Surf our classifieds and or gun auction sites for a Whitworth Express...nice rifles for the $$$$ Mauser action, controlled round feed yada yada....

They look like this....

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A couple of years ago I found a Ruger RSM in 375 H&H on the net. It came with a VX3 Leupold of 1.5 to 5x. Cost me $1,800. It is heavy weighing in at 11.5 lbs so it may be larger than what you are interested in. It is gorgeous though. Quarter length barrel rib. Leaf sights and removable front sight. The action is smooth as butter. It also shoots wonderfully small groups. You might check into this option.

Rolly
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I wouldn't overlook a Weatherby vanguard either. I have several and all are extremely accurate, and the price is damned right on them

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
ingwe, I suppose you sold this .375 also!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
ingwe, I suppose you sold this .375 also!!!

I did!!! laugh

When I was doing a LOT of big game hunting my battery consisted of:

the Ingwe Special 7x57

A"custom" M70 in 300 H&H and,

The Whitworth pictured above in .375 H&H

and they all wore Leupold 1.5-5s

That covered all my bases.They have all been moved on now because the only bases I need covered are deer sized on down, and the cf .22s work great on that. Where required, I use a .243 as my "big" gun.... grin

Killed some cool junk with the ,375 though...... wink

[Linked Image]

amongst others.....

Last edited by ingwe; 12/05/15.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Surf our classifieds and or gun auction sites for a Whitworth Express...nice rifles for the $$$$ Mauser action, controlled round feed yada yada....

They look like this....

[Linked Image]

+1 on the whitworth. Very nice rifles.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
ingwe, nice rifles.. I never did the 7x57, but have the other 2 calibers.. I have sold some of my favorites like those you mention, but always regretted my decision... I later wanted them if only for an afternoon of shooting to remember.. When I sold, if I didn't purchase another rifle, I only fooled the money away, and had nothing.. Hope it isn't that way for you.. Haven't used my .375 much, but last year shot a moose and an elk.. I 'll use it on bear or deer than give it to one of my younger friends who will appreciate it, and maybe think of me in yeas to come.. Looks like you have made some awesome hunts in your life.. I never was able to take any of the big 5.. You have been there done that at least some..
I like my .22's, and have shot lots of deer size game with them, but I just can't rely on them for most of my deer hunting, even at almost 70, I get pretty excited when I decide it is time to shoot..

Molon Labe
IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
That sable was a dream I never achieved, and probably never will.. What an awesome trophy.. I would take him over the buff, but the cape was a beauty also..

Molon Labe
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by agazain
Like I've said, pick what fits you. (That means throwing it up, eyes closed and opening them to see if you are looking through the rings / iron sights with cheek weld make "going bang" happen for you without moving your head.

To discover which model(s) fit me I went to a gun show and tried on a lot of rifles. (Then I had to learn about LOP and junk like that!) I am not of average build -- hogbacks and Monte Carlo's or Lux of BDL, Brno/CZ etc. conformation go well with my longer neck. Many prefer the classic / straight stock which fits the average bear best.

I agree 100% find the rifle that fits.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
ingwe, nice rifles.. I never did the 7x57, but have the other 2 calibers.. I have sold some of my favorites like those you mention, but always regretted my decision... I later wanted them if only for an afternoon of shooting to remember.. When I sold, if I didn't purchase another rifle, I only fooled the money away, and had nothing.. Hope it isn't that way for you.. Haven't used my .375 much, but last year shot a moose and an elk.. I 'll use it on bear or deer than give it to one of my younger friends who will appreciate it, and maybe think of me in yeas to come.. Looks like you have made some awesome hunts in your life.. I never was able to take any of the big 5.. You have been there done that at least some..
I like my .22's, and have shot lots of deer size game with them, but I just can't rely on them for most of my deer hunting, even at almost 70, I get pretty excited when I decide it is time to shoot..

Interesting!

We have an unwritten code in the Montana gun culture. Gun Money goes back into guns. Periodamundo! grin
I have been fortunate in my hunts, and have gotten two of the big five...though never made a quest of any of the others. One of them almost got me( hence the handle "Ingwe") see pic below of tired hunter after 21 hours of tracking this wounded leopard...

[Linked Image]

someday I'll tell you the story in person and with liquid courage at hand! grin

And at 63, I learned long long ago to not get excited about the shot, you have the rest of your life to be excited about it ex post facto. cool

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
ingwe, I will look forward to our visit about your hunts.. I''ll get the FIRST liquid courage!!!!!! I know about not getting excited, but when I decide this is IT!! I do get excited.. One thing I have noticed over the years, the country one hunts in makes a great difference in what I shoot.. Just hunted whitetails in eastern Wy. The grass in the creek bottoms was so high it covered most of the deer's body.. I had my .22-250 with the idea of taking my buck with it, but passed when the time came.. The grass deflected a 100 gr. Nosler Part. But different conditions permit much different calibers.. Shot lots of whitetails in W. Va. with various .22's, but there were hundreds of deer and unlimited chances... But NO big bucks.. Looking forward to a visit..

Molon Labe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Heading that way in February on my way to Tejas..... grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a push feed post-64 "Super Express" .375 H&H...I don't know if that is the older push feed version of the "Safari Express" or not.

Its been a hell of a good rifle and have killed deer, elk, antelope and a wolf with it, plus quite a few random smaller critters. It hasn't seen a LOT of use, but enough for me to trust the rifle when I need to. It is heavy though so I don't carry it as much as I used to.

I am not too sure what the difference is between the Alaskan and the Safari Express, other than the cross-bolts and finish...I figured the Alaskan would be a synthetic but I guess it is not. In any event, I haven't had an issue with the wood/blue "Super Express" in the worst conditions Montana and Wyoming can throw at a guy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
obligatory pictures
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by ingwe
Heading that way in February on my way to Tejas..... grin

Tom,

If you are in the Hill Country let me know and I will let you cook up some steaks here as I pour nearby Rebecca Creek down us. Always an empty room here. grin

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ed...I just may be in touch..... wink

If not I'll catch you in March for the pig hunt for sure!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Recently picked up a Cabelas Ltd. Edition FN made Winchester Model 70 in .375 H&H. Looking forward to shooting it.

http://s98.photobucket.com/user/SS30ANV/media/.375HampH_zpsfkmsoajo.png.html][Linked Image]

Last edited by Wacenturion; 12/08/15.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

220 members (12344mag, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 44mc, 375TN, 20 invisible), 1,660 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,485,967
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.