Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#10739302 11/30/15
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Posted this in Hunting Rifles before Jorge told me this forum existed, so I will post here as well...

Thinking of buying a rifle chambered in .375 H&H, particularly a model 70 Winchester. My question is: do I want the Alaskan or the Safari Express? I understand the differences, but I am interested in first hand experience people may have with either. Also, if anyone has any other rifles in this chamfering under the $2k mark I should be looking at please let me know...I'd like sto stick with a Mauser style bolt gun.
Thanks for replies
Northerner

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Northerener, I found the Safari Express a very big rifle, more suited to the 458. Worth trying one before you buy.

Have no experience with the Alaskan model.

I sold my 375 Safari Express and had a friend make me a lighter from my 270 Classic.

I also like a nice Mauser 98, either standard or magnum action, for a 375H&H. I have both.

Good luck, look forward to seeing what you choose.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Like I've said, pick what fits you. (That means throwing it up, eyes closed and opening them to see if you are looking through the rings / iron sights with cheek weld make "going bang" happen for you without moving your head.

To discover which model(s) fit me I went to a gun show and tried on a lot of rifles. (Then I had to learn about LOP and junk like that!) I am not of average build -- hogbacks and Monte Carlo's or Lux of BDL, Brno/CZ etc. conformation go well with my longer neck. Many prefer the classic / straight stock which fits the average bear best.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Surf our classifieds and or gun auction sites for a Whitworth Express...nice rifles for the $$$$ Mauser action, controlled round feed yada yada....

They look like this....

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A couple of years ago I found a Ruger RSM in 375 H&H on the net. It came with a VX3 Leupold of 1.5 to 5x. Cost me $1,800. It is heavy weighing in at 11.5 lbs so it may be larger than what you are interested in. It is gorgeous though. Quarter length barrel rib. Leaf sights and removable front sight. The action is smooth as butter. It also shoots wonderfully small groups. You might check into this option.

Rolly
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I wouldn't overlook a Weatherby vanguard either. I have several and all are extremely accurate, and the price is damned right on them

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
ingwe, I suppose you sold this .375 also!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
ingwe, I suppose you sold this .375 also!!!

I did!!! laugh

When I was doing a LOT of big game hunting my battery consisted of:

the Ingwe Special 7x57

A"custom" M70 in 300 H&H and,

The Whitworth pictured above in .375 H&H

and they all wore Leupold 1.5-5s

That covered all my bases.They have all been moved on now because the only bases I need covered are deer sized on down, and the cf .22s work great on that. Where required, I use a .243 as my "big" gun.... grin

Killed some cool junk with the ,375 though...... wink

[Linked Image]

amongst others.....

Last edited by ingwe; 12/05/15.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Surf our classifieds and or gun auction sites for a Whitworth Express...nice rifles for the $$$$ Mauser action, controlled round feed yada yada....

They look like this....

[Linked Image]

+1 on the whitworth. Very nice rifles.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
ingwe, nice rifles.. I never did the 7x57, but have the other 2 calibers.. I have sold some of my favorites like those you mention, but always regretted my decision... I later wanted them if only for an afternoon of shooting to remember.. When I sold, if I didn't purchase another rifle, I only fooled the money away, and had nothing.. Hope it isn't that way for you.. Haven't used my .375 much, but last year shot a moose and an elk.. I 'll use it on bear or deer than give it to one of my younger friends who will appreciate it, and maybe think of me in yeas to come.. Looks like you have made some awesome hunts in your life.. I never was able to take any of the big 5.. You have been there done that at least some..
I like my .22's, and have shot lots of deer size game with them, but I just can't rely on them for most of my deer hunting, even at almost 70, I get pretty excited when I decide it is time to shoot..

Molon Labe
IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
That sable was a dream I never achieved, and probably never will.. What an awesome trophy.. I would take him over the buff, but the cape was a beauty also..

Molon Labe
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by agazain
Like I've said, pick what fits you. (That means throwing it up, eyes closed and opening them to see if you are looking through the rings / iron sights with cheek weld make "going bang" happen for you without moving your head.

To discover which model(s) fit me I went to a gun show and tried on a lot of rifles. (Then I had to learn about LOP and junk like that!) I am not of average build -- hogbacks and Monte Carlo's or Lux of BDL, Brno/CZ etc. conformation go well with my longer neck. Many prefer the classic / straight stock which fits the average bear best.

I agree 100% find the rifle that fits.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
ingwe, nice rifles.. I never did the 7x57, but have the other 2 calibers.. I have sold some of my favorites like those you mention, but always regretted my decision... I later wanted them if only for an afternoon of shooting to remember.. When I sold, if I didn't purchase another rifle, I only fooled the money away, and had nothing.. Hope it isn't that way for you.. Haven't used my .375 much, but last year shot a moose and an elk.. I 'll use it on bear or deer than give it to one of my younger friends who will appreciate it, and maybe think of me in yeas to come.. Looks like you have made some awesome hunts in your life.. I never was able to take any of the big 5.. You have been there done that at least some..
I like my .22's, and have shot lots of deer size game with them, but I just can't rely on them for most of my deer hunting, even at almost 70, I get pretty excited when I decide it is time to shoot..

Interesting!

We have an unwritten code in the Montana gun culture. Gun Money goes back into guns. Periodamundo! grin
I have been fortunate in my hunts, and have gotten two of the big five...though never made a quest of any of the others. One of them almost got me( hence the handle "Ingwe") see pic below of tired hunter after 21 hours of tracking this wounded leopard...

[Linked Image]

someday I'll tell you the story in person and with liquid courage at hand! grin

And at 63, I learned long long ago to not get excited about the shot, you have the rest of your life to be excited about it ex post facto. cool

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
ingwe, I will look forward to our visit about your hunts.. I''ll get the FIRST liquid courage!!!!!! I know about not getting excited, but when I decide this is IT!! I do get excited.. One thing I have noticed over the years, the country one hunts in makes a great difference in what I shoot.. Just hunted whitetails in eastern Wy. The grass in the creek bottoms was so high it covered most of the deer's body.. I had my .22-250 with the idea of taking my buck with it, but passed when the time came.. The grass deflected a 100 gr. Nosler Part. But different conditions permit much different calibers.. Shot lots of whitetails in W. Va. with various .22's, but there were hundreds of deer and unlimited chances... But NO big bucks.. Looking forward to a visit..

Molon Labe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Heading that way in February on my way to Tejas..... grin

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've got a push feed post-64 "Super Express" .375 H&H...I don't know if that is the older push feed version of the "Safari Express" or not.

Its been a hell of a good rifle and have killed deer, elk, antelope and a wolf with it, plus quite a few random smaller critters. It hasn't seen a LOT of use, but enough for me to trust the rifle when I need to. It is heavy though so I don't carry it as much as I used to.

I am not too sure what the difference is between the Alaskan and the Safari Express, other than the cross-bolts and finish...I figured the Alaskan would be a synthetic but I guess it is not. In any event, I haven't had an issue with the wood/blue "Super Express" in the worst conditions Montana and Wyoming can throw at a guy.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
obligatory pictures
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Heading that way in February on my way to Tejas..... grin

Tom,

If you are in the Hill Country let me know and I will let you cook up some steaks here as I pour nearby Rebecca Creek down us. Always an empty room here. grin

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ed...I just may be in touch..... wink

If not I'll catch you in March for the pig hunt for sure!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Recently picked up a Cabelas Ltd. Edition FN made Winchester Model 70 in .375 H&H. Looking forward to shooting it.

http://s98.photobucket.com/user/SS30ANV/media/.375HampH_zpsfkmsoajo.png.html][Linked Image]

Last edited by Wacenturion; 12/08/15.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

They look like this....

[Linked Image]

I love that photo.

A real classic.

Even with you in there, Poobah... grin

DF

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks!

You'll probably like this one too.....

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yep.

Uber cool.

Just something about that old bull.

DF

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My late wife's father used to say anyone who doesn't get excited shooting a deer should check to make sure they are not dead.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is a Weatherby 375 H&H here in the classifieds.
Not as romantic as some Safari models, but it will get the job done.

I am just your average Joe.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

They look like this....

[Linked Image]

I love that photo.

A real classic.

DF

When you said classic, I thought for sure you were talking about him...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

They look like this....

[Linked Image]

I love that photo.

A real classic.

DF

When you said classic, I thought for sure you were talking about him...

laugh

Well, "unique" for sure...

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The NH Classic in .375 H&H is a tad barrel heavy. The 24" tube has the same contour, .458 and .416. Obviously the .375 bore leaves a lot more steel and weight. To me, those guns do MUCH better bobbed off to around 21". Handling is greatly improved. Those barrels are shooters, way too good to discard and replace.

This one is 21", has NECG irons, balances and handles really well. The Tupperware stock isn't bad, not as good as a Legend, but $600 cheaper...

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
mine will be enroute to match yours dirtfarmer very soon. Think I may go to 20".

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
20" will work.

You'll like the fast handling and with a big bore, I don't think you'll lose enough velocity to tell the difference. Critters won't know, for sure...

To me, a used NH M-70 Classic is a real value. You have the desired NH trigger, three position swing safety, CRF in a solid, near bullet proof package. What's not to like and prices aren't that bad. Considering what you get, maybe the best deal going.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I got this one used on the Fire Classified. I had it cut down, sights added, later.

Redneck had worked on it and it's super slick. This gun will cycle EMPTY cases from the mag as fast as I can work the action! Now, that's a well tuned action, those empty cases are hitting center chamber every time.

Of course, it feeds rounds WITH seated bullets very well... laugh

DF

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My NH Classic has been chopped to 21 1/2" and deeply fluted. In the Brown Pounder stock it handles extremely well.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like that.

How much weight you think you lost with fluting?

DF

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Anyone looking I have a Rem. Model 798 that I bought for a return trip to Africa for a buffalo hunt but that idea has gone by the wayside. I purchased the gun from a master gunsmith that was preparing it for the Wounded Warrior Program.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
Anyone looking I have a Rem. Model 798 that I bought for a return trip to Africa for a buffalo hunt but that idea has gone by the wayside. I purchased the gun from a master gunsmith that was preparing it for the Wounded Warrior Program.

Photos?

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another vote for a Whitworth. Upgraded the trigger and safety on mine and like it a lot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Northerner
Posted this in Hunting Rifles before Jorge told me this forum existed, so I will post here as well...

Thinking of buying a rifle chambered in .375 H&H, particularly a model 70 Winchester. My question is: do I want the Alaskan or the Safari Express? I understand the differences, but I am interested in first hand experience people may have with either. Also, if anyone has any other rifles in this chamfering under the $2k mark I should be looking at please let me know...I'd like sto stick with a Mauser style bolt gun.
Thanks for replies
Northerner
As mentioned earlier check out the 375 Vanguard Weatherby well under 2k, and worth every dollar. Good rifles are kept not sold!! Remember that. LOL

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M

I have a Whitworth .375 H&H as well. Dave Gentry told me that installing one of his 3-position safeties made the stock trigger work very well, because it didn't have to be adjusted to allow the sliding safety to work. So I had him install a 3-position, and he was right!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
TDN Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM
My NH Classic has been chopped to 21 1/2" and deeply fluted. In the Brown Pounder stock it handles extremely well.

[Linked Image]

Ed, ain't that a smooth rig?! One of the ones I regret letting go of for sure.

Glad it ended up in good hands.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Figures, could have saved some coin on that one. It does shoot well now and the safety to me is a big upgrade.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
If any of you are interested, I've got a walnut takeoff stock from a NH Classic Super Express in .375 H&H for sale in the classifieds right now.
Can send photos if interested...

Last edited by johnnyo55; 03/11/16.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I like that.

How much weight you think you lost with fluting?

DF

No idea.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by TDN
Originally Posted by EdM

[Linked Image]

Ed, ain't that a smooth rig?! One of the ones I regret letting go of for sure.

Glad it ended up in good hands.

It is a great rifle. We will be chasing brownies in five weeks. Do you know who did the work?

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Hey Fellas,
Update: Picked up my M70 SE last week...now I need to decide what scope to put on it and mounts. Was thinking of a VX-3i 1.75-6, also was thinking that a guy need some sort of quick release mounts in case you want to use the iron sights? thoughts?

thanks!
Northerner

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Sounds good.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey Fellas,
Update: Picked up my M70 SE last week...now I need to decide what scope to put on it and mounts. Was thinking of a VX-3i 1.75-6, also was thinking that a guy need some sort of quick release mounts in case you want to use the iron sights? thoughts?

thanks!
Northerner

That is exactly what I have on my Model 70. EAW QD mounts on that Leupold. BTW, I've NEVER used the irons.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll third it. That's what I used on all three of my .375s. Only one of those had iron sights, and my QD mounts and rings were Warnes.

Last edited by mudhen; 07/13/16.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
My Classic stainless has a VX III in Talleys, with a Talley peep as well. I use the irons about 50% of the time. These days the 9.3x62 gets most of the work, but the .375 was used hard for over a decade. The Talleys have been totally reliable.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a mod 70 super express and the barrel contour is the same as the 458. My rifle weighs in at 10 lbs 4oz with scope and rings. For me it comes up very nicely and I shoot it well.

I wouldn't rule out that Whitworth, They are nice rifles and if you look hard you can pick one up very reasonable.

EdM, that is my exact load.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by southwind; 07/14/16.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
New Haven or South Carolina?

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
New Haven or South Carolina?

DF

New Haven

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I had one like that, replaced it with the SS/Tupperware version posted earlier. After seeing EdM's fluted barrel, I'm going to send mine to Karl Kampfeld for similar treatment. I like the look and it may be a tad lighter.

My thinking, altough the walnut/blue version is prettier, SS/Tupperware should withstand hard use and abuse better. The classic shape of the Tupperware stock without cheek piece suits me better, especially with irons..

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I had one like that, replaced it with the SS/Tupperware version posted earlier. After seeing EdM's fluted barrel, I'm going to send mine to Karl Kampfeld for similar treatment. I like the look and it may be a tad lighter.

My thinking, altough the walnut/blue version is prettier, SS/Tupperware should withstand hard use and abuse better. The classic shape of the Tupperware stock without cheek piece suits me better, especially with irons..

DF

DF, I like the Tupperware stock too. They fit me well. The only downfall to them is they are pretty soft. Not a huge deal since you can find them all day long for $50.00.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by southwind
I have a mod 70 super express and the barrel contour is the same as the 458. My rifle weighs in at 10 lbs 4oz with scope and rings. For me it comes up very nicely and I shoot it well.

I wouldn't rule out that Whitworth, They are nice rifles and if you look hard you can pick one up very reasonable.

EdM, that is my exact load.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice rifle and shooting.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Regardless of the rifle, it is a wonderful cartridge.

Anything from 38-55 level cast bullet loads, to 235 Barnes screaming out @3000 fps to big DG solids, it will do them all. Perhaps the most flexible CF big game cartridge and blessed with the never fail H&H case design.

Ruger No. 1
Ruger 77 African
Browning A-Bolt
Sauer 90 Lux

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

DF
Have that one,now re-stocked with a Banser stock.

Before.
[Linked Image]

After.
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

DF
Have that one,now re-stocked with a Banser stock.

Before.
[Linked Image]

After.
[Linked Image]

MUCH better! grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
It is! With the Winchester stock "starting loads" were pure hell! Took it out last weekend,there's still recoil,but it does not hurt near as much. Work up a load using a 270 gr Swift A-Frame going at 2690 fps.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It is! With the Winchester stock "starting loads" were pure hell! Took it out last weekend,there's still recoil,but it does not hurt near as much. Work up a load using a 270 gr Swift A-Frame going at 2690 fps.

The Bansner and similarly shaped stocks do mitigate recoil better (even though they are lighter). I'll give them that. It's almost a win win situation, but sometimes throws the balance way off. Alright if you don't mind carrying your rifle upside down or by the scope.. laugh I've had one, and sold it and oddly enough went back to the tupperware. My only gripe, but there it is... Like I said before though, very nice rifle Ken..

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My M-70 .404J build had a Legend stock and I liked it. Tell us more about the Bansnor, never had one. I thought about a Legend, wasn't wanting to put out another $600.

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
For $525 (price including stock) it was bedded,painted and the recoil pad put on. It weighs just over 9 lbs and it does not kick like a mule and a donkey anymore.

BSA,the balance is the same as with the old stock,at least in my hand it is.

Already killed a couple jackrabbits with it.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here is my .404J build on a SS-M-70 RUM donor with D'Arcy's Legend stock, Williams bottom metal, painted with brown Aluma-hyde. The Legend handles great.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I picked up an Interarms mark X and really love it . Nice rifles

Broke it in on a management quota doe
[Linked Image]

Last edited by jmd025; 07/15/16.

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Man, you hard on dem wabbits... shocked

Thought yo wabbit gun was a .460 Wby... laugh

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Our jackrabbits "especially cheeky." laugh

Going to hunt them in September when it cools off. It was 105* yesterday at 6:00 pm. smirk

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
92* here, but the heat index is 106*. I did some shooting this AM, got pretty hot around noon and I came in.

Guess I spend too much time in an AC office, can't take too much of this tripple digit stuff.

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
It's in the upper 70's to low 80's here in the morning. By 9 o'clock in the morning it's already to hot.

Right now it's 100*,can't wait for Summer to be over!

Last edited by elkhunternm; 07/16/16.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
For $525 (price including stock) it was bedded,painted and the recoil pad put on. It weighs just over 9 lbs and it does not kick like a mule and a donkey anymore.

BSA,the balance is the same as with the old stock,at least in my hand it is.

That's cool. Especially the jackrabbit part. laugh

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jmd025
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I picked up an Interarms mark X and really love it . Nice rifles

Broke it in on a management quota doe
[Linked Image]

Beautiful interarms mkX. I've had them. they are exceptional rifles.

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Used the 270 gr Hornady RN on them,no pics as they were ummm well,lets just say the pics would've been gruesome.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Used the 270 gr Hornady RN on them,no pics as they were ummm well,lets just say the pics would've been gruesome.

laugh . No worse than shooting them with shotgun slugs... Ask me how I know that... whistle

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It's in the upper 70's to low 80's here in the morning. By 9 o'clock in the morning it's already to hot.

Right now it's 100*,can't wait for Summer to be over!

I know what you're saying.

I've hunted Speed Goats in NE NM, even got into the Kiowa Grasslands on one trip. It's good to have those goats in the truck and on ice by 9 AM if possible. That's happened a few times.

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Shot them a 250 gr NP from a .340 Wby,interesting to watch body parts fly up into the air about 30 feet.

DF,yeah hunting antelope in this heat,meat care is first and foremost. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
We heard some of the natives calling them "stink goats". One local had a pronghorn carcass hanging from an old International tractor front end loader as we entered the ranch. That goat was still hanging when we drove back by his house; our goats were already on ice. I'm sure they're "stink goats" handled like that. And it was August...

Us Cajuns are particular about our game animals, take good care of the meat. Pronghorns are good eating if one takes care of the meat.

I haven't tried my .375 on pronghorns, used 6.5-284 and .240. I'm sure it would work... laugh

About like it does on NM wabbits... blush

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
And when they took those animals home to eat,their wives probably never let them hunt antelope again.

Yup antelope is good eatin' if one takes care of the animal once it hits the ground.

I've used a 6mm-284,.25/06,.270 Win and 7mm Rem Mag on antelope. I hunted antelope in Wyoming in 1990,1992 and 1993,plus here in New Mexico.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey Fellas,

thanks!
Northerner

Pick up an extra mag spring before you head out somewhere. M70 is a fine rifle but that spring seems to be a weak point. I’m on my third! blush (Or, just make darned sure you never stuff ‘one more’ in the mag when you’re excited! shocked )

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Hey Fellas,

thanks!
Northerner

Pick up an extra mag spring before you head out somewhere. M70 is a fine rifle but that spring seems to be a weak point. I’m on my third! blush (Or, just make darned sure you never stuff ‘one more’ in the mag when you’re excited! shocked )

Great idea. Any M70/Mauser traveling kit should include a spare follower spring and a spare extractor.Easy prevention and maintenance.

Not that you will need them....but you might. Good reminder....a need a spare follower spring and a couple of standard case extractors for my kits.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I love reading the posts of the faithful sitting at the alter of the all around "King" worldwide game slayer, The Great 375 Holland & Holland Magnum! smile

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Well Gunner,I do use another .375 for jackrabbits,the .375 RUM.

[Linked Image]

Used a 300 gr Hornady on this one.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
A no contact flyby would probably askeer him to death. laugh

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Dem wabbits catching hell... shocked

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looks like you barely grazed his back leg and he died.... laugh

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

That gives credence to gunner's hypothesis... cool

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Hey Fellas,

thanks!
Northerner

Great idea. Any M70/Mauser traveling kit should include a spare follower spring and a spare extractor.Easy prevention and maintenance.

Not that you will need them....but you might. Good reminder....a need a spare follower spring and a couple of standard case extractors for my kits.

Damnit, I need another spare extractor too. I used my last one on my m1917. crazy. Not that it needed a different extractor, I just like the looks of it better than the one it had on it.. I had one extractor go bad on a pre 64 model 70 and replaced it and then bought a "spare". I'm not going to say how it went bad, just that it did...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

That gives credence to gunner's hypothesis... cool

DF

laugh

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
I love reading the posts of the faithful sitting at the alter of the all around "King" worldwide game slayer, The Great 375 Holland & Holland Magnum! smile

I'm just enjoying all the jackrabbit kills Ken is posting, along with his rifles. Pretty cool chit. I packed my 375 H&H last elk season, but only got pictures of it leaning up against a tree and chit like that. No elk!! laugh

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
The rabbit was looking right at me and the bullet hit it in the chest and the exit tore him a new one. Literally.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The rabbit was looking right at me and the bullet hit it in the chest and the exit tore him a new one. Literally.

It sounds better how I said it... laugh

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup,it does. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
YUP, Kens da bunny killa waitin' on Elk season. grin

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First I heard of extractor and magazine spring problems with pre-64 70's.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Doesn't Williams or someone make an extractor out of tempered steel, not MIM?

Isn't the extractor issue more of a problem with later CRF M-70's.

First I heard of the follower spring, but having spare parts is a good idea.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bugger
First I heard of extractor and magazine spring problems with pre-64 70's.

I broke one extractor. It can happen. They are not bomb proof....nothing is.

Never broke a magazine spring but there is nothing unique about a M70 that says it can't happen. They are just rifles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like another reason to bring a spare rifle.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

That's damn good practice. Anyone who has shot those zig zagging bastids on a full run with a big game rifle knows what I'm talking about.. laugh. And yes, I've been on a full run after the bastids too... Just incase that sentence is written wrong or misinterpreted..... whistle

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bugger
Sounds like another reason to bring a spare rifle.

Long story short, my buddy (let's call him Troy) was loading cartridges into the chamber like you would a pushfeed rifle: I didn't catch him in time to correct the problem. I know some say the pre 64 can top load like that, but I don't like it. I load from the magazine like any mauser style rifle. Afterwards, it didn't eject for chit. It kind of dribbled the cartridge out of the loading port and on to the ground. I can take pictures of the hairline crack to show you that it does happen.. Even to the infamous pre 64 model 70...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To be clear, the two magazine springs I’ve broken on my M70 375 have happened when I attempted to load a fourth round in the well inadvertently. While that was my mistake, I’ve often ‘mashed’ magazines on other rifles in various magazine lengths without suffering the same problem. Is my experience a fluke? Perhaps. But Murphy loves flukes. I try to sneak away without informing Murphy, but we all know how that goes.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
To be clear, the two magazine springs I’ve broken on my M70 375 have happened when I attempted to load a fourth round in the well inadvertently. While that was my mistake, I’ve often ‘mashed’ magazines on other rifles in various magazine lengths without suffering the same problem. Is my experience a fluke? Perhaps. But Murphy loves flukes. I try to sneak away without informing Murphy, but we all know how that goes.

That truly sucks. Must have thought yours was a pre 64. Mine holds 4 in the mag box... wink... The way it should be.. cool

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

That's damn good practice. Anyone who has shot those zig zagging bastids on a full run with a big game rifle knows what I'm talking about.. laugh. And yes, I've been on a full run after the bastids too... Just incase that sentence is written wrong or misinterpreted..... whistle

Affirmative, I even know an old guy down in Texas that shoots crows and coyotes at 400 yards with a Sharps rifle. laugh

Practicing on anything with your big bores makes the moment of truth exceedingly easy.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Almost all my deer and much of my elk shooting is off hand so I shoot paper off hand. The targets show my limitations best. I'll probably shoot 50 to a hundred rounds off hand before a hunt. Yes I do shoot off bags to ensure correct sighting in.
My 375 is easy on my shoulder. When I'm hunting I'm comfortable with my limitations.

I don't enjoy small animal shooting unless it's coyotes with my 270😝

Of course I did shoot at a wolf in my yard when he was facing off against my pointer. And if I see a raccoon or skunk during the day, they will eat lead from a new orfice I try to arrange for them.

Last edited by Bugger; 07/17/16.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

Affirmative, I even know an old guy down in Texas that shoots crows and coyotes at 400 yards with a Sharps rifle. laugh

Practicing on anything with your big bores makes the moment of truth exceedingly easy.
Yup.

Just wonder though,will a 270 gr SAF work well on a jackrabbit? grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Gunner, that sounds mo better than shooting rocks and 'dillers in OK.

But from the looks of the landscape, doubt his ground would carry cows like your OK dirt will. Maybe no jackrabbits isn't a bad trade off.

Hard to not see stuff like a cattleman...

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Yup.

Just wonder though,will a 270 gr SAF work well on a jackrabbit? grin

You'll need to use trail boss powder and keep those velocities around 2150 fps, can't have that SAF pancaking on ya. grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Gunner, that sounds mo better than shooting rocks and 'dillers in OK.

But from the looks of the landscape, doubt his ground would carry cows like your OK dirt will. Maybe no jackrabbits isn't a bad trade off.

Hard to not see stuff like a cattleman...

DF

Yes, I've heard rock and diller shrap landing all about before, and 10-roger on the jacks, but Elk has crops too. cry

And yes, regardless of where you go, cattle do stay in yo blood. wink

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
laugh

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
laugh

Juss tryn ta hep a brutha out. ;]

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I saw a moss berg patriot in 375 for 450 bucks today

I know I know it's a mossberg....but I've been around more than a few of the maps and they are damned accurate guns.

A friend has one of the maps with the alum. Chassis stock. It's so damned boring shooting the center of the target with that rifle we shoot the tacks holding the target

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Need to take it to Canada and kill a black bear or moose with it. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gitem_12

I know I know it's a mossberg....but I've been around more than a few of the maps and they are damned accurate guns.

A friend has one of the maps with the alum. Chassis stock. It's so damned boring shooting the center of the target with that rifle we shoot the tacks holding the target

As long as it functions reliably and you can put great trust in it, I'd say get it. Nice having a rifle that shoots that well. However, Most 375's I've seen have shot very well.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've got a Browning X Bolt in 375 H&H coming at a bargain price. Haven't had a Browning since I sold the Belgium Safari back in the 80's.
That is a secure looking base setup. Rifle is 6# 13oz. out of the box.
We'll see how it all works out.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 07/18/16.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BW, that's awfully light. Good luck with that one buddy...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Yes, we'll see. But the Model 70 8 1/2# Alaskan and the 9# African are unnecessarily heavy - more suited for a 416 Rigby.

With Talley QD's and a VXR I should be either side of 8#'s.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 07/18/16.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

Yes, we'll see. But the Model 70 8 1/2# Alaskan and the 9# African are unnecessarily heavy - more suited for a 416 Rigby.

With Talley QD's and a VXR I should be either side of 8#'s.

What did you ever do with your Talkeetna?? Seems like that would have been a very nice rifle.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You have a good memory. It was a very nice setup but someone else didn't want to endure the wait at the time to get one. So I sold it. That rifle comes in at 7# 12oz. -so it is a pound heavier that the Browning. I'll see how it works out.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

As long as it functions reliably and you can put great trust in it, I'd say get it. Nice having a rifle that shoots that well. However, Most 375's I've seen have shot very well.

My point is that everyone assumes moss berg is junk just cause it says mossberg

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

My point is that everyone assumes moss berg is junk just cause it says mossberg

Back in the day Mossberg put out some damn fine guns. I recently shot an old 22lr target rifle with iron sights that puts bullet after bullet in the same hole at 50 yards. It competes head to head with good old rifles like the Winchester model 52. I also have an old Mossberg 640KD chuckster that makes any new 22 WMR look silly in the accuracy department.

[Linked Image]

10 shot group with Federal 50gr. JHP..."coyote load"...

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I am the one who bought the Talkeetna from bigwhoop. I got lucky.

It has turned out to be one of my favorites. Very accurate. Perceived recoil is similar to my .338 M70 in a McMillan.

I do not recall a rifle that was easier to work up loads for.

Gary

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear
I am the one who bought the Talkeetna from bigwhoop. I got lucky.

It has turned out to be one of my favorites. Very accurate. Perceived recoil is similar to my .338 M70 in a McMillan.

I do not recall a rifle that was easier to work up loads for.

Gary

Have always thought about both Kimbers in 375, if I ever had reason to get rid of my M-70's, I'd look hard at the Kimbers, good to hear it was easy to make shoot good, although, I've found that to be the case with several 375's. cool

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
gunner, like you I've found the .375 H&H to be an easy round to load for. It seems to be forgiving and not finicky.

It's a really good round, has stood the test of time and will be rocking and rolling for years to come.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
gunner, like you I've found the .375 H&H to be an easy round to load for. It seems to be forgiving and not finicky.

It's a really good round, has stood the test of time and will be rocking and rolling for years to come.

DF

Agreed DF, wish we'd last as long. cool

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I got my .375 back from Karl today. As one would expect, beautiful work. He said the biggest problem was the setup to miss the sights and save the factory lettering. He had to use 5 instead of 6 flutes. He cut away almost 6 oz, not quite the 7-8 oz. expected with six flutes, not dodging irons.

Anyway, it looks nice. Cutting the barrel back saved some weight; it's now 7 #'s, 12 oz, balances at the front action screw.

I like the big Victory 1.5-6, but it's 20 oz in Warne QD's. I just mounted a 10 oz 1.5-5 Leupold in Warne QD's and it's definitely handier. I may set it up for both scopes. I also have a vintage M8 3X I sent back for cleaning and #4 German. It's a candidate.

DF

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looks great DF... Sounds like it's a lot lighter now too..

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Looks great DF... Sounds like it's a lot lighter now too..

Yeah, MUCH...

Those NH .375's are way over weight. This one is now about right, IMO.

Will start working on loads, checking out different scopes.

DF

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
DF - That turned out great!

Semper Fi

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Dirtfarmer- I like it. What's the new length? I'm thinking 21" - 22" for my .375 in the Echols legend stock.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Length is the same. All Karl did was the flutes.

IIRC, 21".

Like Hillary, I have trouble remembering...👀

Will confirm tonite when I get home.

DF

Edited to say I think it's 21", not 20.5" as originally posted. Will confirm.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 09/07/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like it DF, wouldn't mind putting one together like that my self.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It is about the least expensive way to get into a high quality DG rifle, IMO. I got this gun used from the Classifieds, did some of the work myself.

I have a question for those who have Win M-70 mag actions. This one has a rail cut out on the left side. I don't know if this is factory or by someone along the way, as it had some smith work done before I got it.

I ask, because this action will cycle EMPTY .375 H&H cases without a bleep as fast as I can work the action. That's perfect, center of the chamber feed, every time. Was wondering if this configuration was part of a tune up job or OEM.

DF

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
my .375 doesn't have that cut...

nor does my Laredo.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Neither of mine, a 375 H&H and a 416 Rem, have that cut and both will feed/extract empties as fast as I can move the bolt. I did install Williams extractors on both.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice light weight banger there DF, my NH 375 doesn't have the cutout either.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Wish I knew what that cut is all about. Someone went to some trouble to mill that.

BTW, measured the barrel. It's 21".

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
DF: I doubt the cut out is OEM, never seen it.

probably just another M70 Trick Move. smile

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by BobinNH
DF: I doubt the cut out is OEM, never seen it.

probably just another M70 Trick Move. smile

It's a curiosity for sure.

Redneck said that should never be done.

But, someone must have thought it was the thing to do, seems well executed with a milling machine.

Ed's report of his M-70's feeding empty cases full speed without a glitch makes one wonder if this cut out adds anything.

Oh well, as long as it works...

Here on the Fire, we have "stunt shooters" and "trick moves"... laugh

Something for everybody... cool

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
DF if we could look at a bunch of Classics dating back to introduction and until NH stopped making them, we will see a variety of followers made from steel, alloy and even plastic, with a variety of shapes and dished out configurations. Some were really weird.

The only conclusion I could ever come to is that someone in New Haven was very confused about how to get the rifles to feed and function acceptably. I know I "fixed" more than one by playing with spring tension and changing the followers.

This stuff is childs play for a skilled gun smith but it appeared the factory could never get it straight. If a guy played with enough Classics he knows exactly what I am referring to.

Some Classics were great and some were absolute trash.....just one reason I stubbornly cling to the notion that pre 64 metal, as a unit, was always a better rifle. despite dozens of pre 64's I never ran into these feeding issues with them.

Among the reasons I always called the Classics a "project in a box". shocked grin

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
laugh

Yep, the ole Pre-64 IS the standard by which others are judged...

Those factory engineers must think they know everything; they don't seem inclined to ask professional custom gunsmiths how something should work.

At least Bill Ruger sought the help of Lenard Brownell for his rifle stock designs.

But, Ruger was an exception and exceptional... smile

He wasn't too proud to ask.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
laugh

Yep, the ole Pre-64 IS the standard by which others are judged...

Those factory engineers must think they know everything; they don't seem inclined to ask professional custom gunsmiths how something should work.

At least Bill Ruger sought the help of Lenard Brownell for his rifle stock designs.

DF

Yes he did! wink

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Bob,

A Classic can be tweaked into a pretty nice rifle.

A Pre-64 it will never be.

The King is still King... cool

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bob,

A Classic can be tweaked into a pretty nice rifle.

DF

Yes it can! Im looking at one right now. wink

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
D'Arcy tweaks them to perfection, for the price of a good used pickup... cry

I'm too cheap, besides I like to DIY as much as possible.

Sorta enjoyable, watching a project come together.

And pride using a piece tweaked to suit.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Bob, You, DF, BSA and a few others are sure rough on someone like me that's looking for a nice pre-64 375, it's really painful. cry laugh

I'm going to my safe room now to order a companion animal. lmao!

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
gunner they are out there!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Just money, gunner.

Just money.

DF

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Bob, You, DF, BSA and a few others are sure rough on someone like me that's looking for a nice pre-64 375, it's really painful. cry laugh

I'm going to my safe room now to order a companion animal. lmao!

Forget the 375 and just get a 416 Remington, it'll do anything the 375 will and then some

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Just money, gunner.

Just money.

DF
Yup,as my employee says "When you die,you can't spend it!"

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
BWAHAHAHA Men, yes, they are out there, just looking for the RIGHT one still, have a lot of ideas though.

JWP, I have a 400 Whelen, 400 grs at 2255 fps.
And a 416 Taylor, 400 grs at 2415 fps.

I really want an old pre-64 375 to go with my 300 H&H's and 22 Hornet. cool

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
BWAHAHAHA Men, yes, they are out there, just looking for the RIGHT one still, have a lot of ideas though.

JWP, I have a 400 Whelen, 400 grs at 2255 fps.
And a 416 Taylor, 400 grs at 2415 fps.

I really want an old pre-64 375 to go with my 300 H&H's and 22 Hornet. cool

Super Grade.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
OUCH, now you went and done it, that'd be a 6K boot in the butt for a nice SG I bet. cry

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Found this one.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...r-grd-rifle-375-h-h.cfm?gun_id=100688333

Don't think Winchester ever put a 26" barrel on a .375 H&H. Probably a boo-boo on the person who wrote the rifle's description.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
This would be my choice if I was in the market for a .375 H&H.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/587114439

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Whoa, Gunner, that rifle looks very nice. I keep thinking I want a 375, but I think Bob has all of the BBC's grin

All jokes aside, the P64 375 is one heckuva awesome rifle.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The Whitworth is a good one. Price is right on this gun, has a few "scars" that won't affect it as a shooter.

Nice wood.

DF

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
That Whitworth is a fine, serviceable rifle as is. And if someone wanted to put more money into it, it could be turned into a beauty.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
DF,yup that wood is nice.

Woodsy,the only money I would spend on it is for a scope,rings and bases.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
DF,yup that wood is nice.

Woodsy,the only money I would spend on it is for a scope,rings and bases.

And you would have a fine rifle! I've really bonded with my Whitworth. They were, and still are, an incredible bargain.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup,that they are. cool

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Lollaugh, You men poured it on heavy after I sacked out last night, That SG is a nice one Elk, it would need a correct front sight hood, but still a nice price for one.

Thanks for the hit Buddy.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by beretzs
Whoa, Gunner, that rifle looks very nice. I keep thinking I want a 375, but I think Bob has all of the BBC's grin

I'm gonna have to have one B, ain't no two ways about it. smile

SG or Standard would be fine with me, thinking real hard about a receiver sight and shooting 300 gr Partitions at everything. cool

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

SG or Standard would be fine with me, thinking real hard about a receiver sight and shooting 300 gr Partitions at everything. cool

Peep sight... shocked

You been hanging with that BP, Sharps crowd too long...👀

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, a receiver peep or factory express barrel sighted pre-64 375 firing 300 gr Partitions at everything inside 200 yards would be a blast DF.

Oh, and could you define 'too long' please? laugh

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
LOL, a receiver peep or factory express barrel sighted pre-64 375 firing 300 gr Partitions at everything inside 200 yards would be a blast DF.

Oh, and could you define 'too long' please? laugh

laugh

Now, that's the $64 question, for sure... grin

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

A old Weaver 2.5x would be better. wink grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

gunner has those young, hawk like, peep sight compatable eyes.

When he gets old, he'll appreciate a good scope.

A lot of low powered fixed, 1-4, 1.5-5 variables have been used on those big guns. So, it would seem the consensus can't be that far off.

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Have a Leupold 1-4x on my Super Express,a Weaver 3x on the SS,finally a Zeiss 4x on the RUM.

See no reason to go higher than those.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Would that old Weaver buck the load of 300 grs at 2650?

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Dang DF, I'm already fifty-foe. laugh

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup.

Had a new Weaver 2.5x on a .416 Rigby and it worked fine.

Should've kept that scope. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Another good scope for a .375 is the Leupold 3x.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks Elk, have heard good things about the 3X Leupold, one of the older gloss models would look just right on an old pre-64 375.

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Had a Leupold 3x on the .375 RUM,before I changed it to the Zeiss. Nice scope that held up to the RUM recoil.

Put the 3x on a pre '64 Featherweight .30/06. Looks saawwweeettt on the rifle.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Another good scope for a .375 is the Leupold 3x.

Very happy with that scope on mine.

Last edited by WoodsyAl; 10/02/16.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
gunner,

I have a vintage M8 3X that I sent back for cleaning and #4 reticle.

It rode for years in a leather scabbard mounted on a Ranch rifle my ranch hands used to blast 'yotes. It shows some wear but is A1 functional.

If you want it, maybe we can trade.

I really like your Super Grade Hornet...👀

Seriously, send a PM, I'll make you a deal you can't refuse.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Elk, bet it does, have an older 3.5-10 on my pre-64 standard rifle current build project.

WoodsyAl, That's good to know, Thanks.

DF, Pm sent, Thanks Buddy.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup.

Had a new Weaver 2.5x on a .416 Rigby and it worked fine.

Should've kept that scope. wink

I have 'new' Weaver 2.5Xs on Ruger #1s in 45-70 and 9.3x74r, (and those light rifles can move!) A third is on a M77 375/350 Rem Mag which isn't quite as violent, but doesn't have the best of manners either. They've been good scopes.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup,too bad Weaver quit making them.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
M8 3X Leupold boxed up, headed to OK...

Of course, we expect photos...

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
M8 3X Leupold boxed up, headed to OK...

Of course, we expect photos...

DF

Mailbox loaded on this end Brudda Dirt. cool

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Pony Express, your place, Friday.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks Main, now to buy a barreled action and find a damn stock. cry laugh

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You starting from the top down... laugh

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Kinda, have done covert research for months on the bottom two pieces. cry laugh

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 1234, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,247 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,261
Posts18,486,455
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.