Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Would like opinions of rem. 552 from actual users. Are older models better quality than newer models? Compared to other semi auto in the same price range, how do they rate? New member here, I like this site!... Buntingmiester

GB1

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i've got a mdl 552 bdl. it shoots light's out.

but i don't use it all that much. i grew up on a mdl 572 fieldmaster with the "old" sights. the BDL sights are big-gun sights in my interpretation. a gun with a scope is much preferred.

it's probably an underrated master piece. i hardly ever see them in the stores down here in the SE USA.

if tube-fed is your gun, then the 552 might be your answer. i like the 572 fieldmaster.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Gus, i'm in North Carolina, I have a 10/22, but this 552 ismore like a oldstyle adult firearm to me, picked it up yesterday in like new condition, I believe according to the barrel code it is a 1988 model, BDL w/fluer de lis stamped checkering, on a nice walnut stock, w/straight comb. none of the screws have been touched w/screwdriver, no scratches on any metal , but a slight wear mark on the barrel where I guess it sat in the safe. Paid $385 for it. Have not shot it yet, been raining all day here near Charlotte, hope I didn't get skinned. I have also been looking for a used 572 in exellent condition, but they are hard to come by for sure. 552/572 would make a nice pair. Does the 572 shoot shorts, longs, and long rifle also?

Great rifles shoot forever

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by buntingmiester
Gus, i'm in North Carolina, I have a 10/22, but this 552 ismore like a oldstyle adult firearm to me, picked it up yesterday in like new condition, I believe according to the barrel code it is a 1988 model, BDL w/fluer de lis stamped checkering, on a nice walnut stock, w/straight comb. none of the screws have been touched w/screwdriver, no scratches on any metal , but a slight wear mark on the barrel where I guess it sat in the safe. Paid $385 for it. Have not shot it yet, been raining all day here near Charlotte, hope I didn't get skinned. I have also been looking for a used 572 in exellent condition, but they are hard to come by for sure. 552/572 would make a nice pair. Does the 572 shoot shorts, longs, and long rifle also?

yes, they do, infallibly. mine is a 1962 model, plain vanilla. walnut stock, and the rifle i grew up with.

i think the slick finish & bdl sights came along later, but not sure when.

about the only ammo i ever shot in mine was .22 long rifle Remington hi-velocity hollow-points. they were stocked at the local country store.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've owned two, still have one, a 1967 BDL. Remington's been making them since 1957. Today a new one will probably cost over $700 out the door. I like the older ones as their stocks have enough drop to use the open sights if you want to and the BDLs have good adjustable open sights. The newer ones (early 90s I think) have a high comb stock for easier scope use and cut checkering. I haven't seen any lately but a few years ago their quality seemed pretty decent. To me the 552s only negative is the bolt doesn't have a last shot hold open feature.

There's a lot of info on them over on Rimfire Central.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
43shooter, I agree w/no last shot hold-open, but to me not a deal breaker. I've not had it apart yet to inspect the internals/ clean/relube,etc. I've researched the model a little and it seems that disassembly is easy/straight forward, one of the guns strong points to me.What have you used as a lube for the bolt carrier assembly? Have you worked on the trigger at all?....buntingmiester

K
KRD Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I have had one since the early 80's. Very accurate, fun to shoot and reliable.
One positive is that it can cycle 22 shorts, longs and long rifles. I haven't purchased any shorts or longs for a long time so that really doesn't matter. Except, I have found that it will cycle the relatively new CCI "Quiet" round fairly consistently. A 10/22 can't do that without extensive modifications.
The rifle is easy to take down, I find that it gets a lot dirtier faster than my 10/22.

My 10/22 is still my first choice when I reach for a .22 rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm using BreakFree CLP with a needle type applicator and don't use much. Let it sit for a few minutes,hit it with compressed air and wipe it down. IMO there's nothing better than a 10-22 for going a long time with minimal maintenance but the 552 will go for a while with no cleaning. I'll clean mine at 500 rounds if I get around to it but they've gone a lot longer with no malfunctions.

I cut about one coil off the sear spring on the one I still have about seven or eight years ago and it improved the trigger considerably. Just luck but it's no more than two or three lbs with a clean break. I'd order a backup spring from Brownell's before I start cutting.

There's some good youtube videos on disassembly/assembly.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 12/01/15.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
KRD/43Shooter, thank-you for the replies and info, I will report back my results when I get the chance. ..............buntingmiester

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

462 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 260madman, 49 invisible), 2,160 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,267
Posts18,504,938
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.