-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi to all. I just got a Remington Model 31 Skeet gun that has great metal but the stock is in sad need of a refinsih. I have used Dembart Checkering Oil in the past for the hand rubbed sanded in finish. But that was years ago, I want to remove the old finish, hope to leave the stain, raise any dents and very light sanding and then use what ever you on this site would suggest. I have refinished 3 or 4 stocks over the last 40 years but nothing in the last 10 years. What products do you recommend? This will be my winter project.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The original finish on the Remington 31 is an easy finish to work with. The dings and dents can be raised with water and heat almost always and should be done first.

Let it dry very well before proceeding as the rised bumps will level out over time and sanding on them too early will result in low spots that cannot be raised again.

Holes that will not raise can be filled with CA glue (superglue) a little at a time. They will nearly disappear under the finish.

If you just want a reasonable refinish done quickly a little Formby's Furniture Refinisher wiped on the wood will melt the old finish and allow it to be moved around as much as you like. With a little practice it is not hard to level.

After the Formby's you should set it aside to fully dry. At that point an oil finish would stick nicely to the rejuvenated original finish and you can build that as much as you like...

Apply each coat fairly heavy, allow to rest for 10-15 minutes and then wipe DRY with a clean towel. After a few coats the finish should look pretty good...

That would be a quick way to get it done...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
For a professional finish use this procedure: http://www.woodworking.org/WC/GArchive99/1_20waltcunfin.html

Instead of Pilkington's overpriced finish use Minwax Wipe-on Poly( glossy-oil based) found at any home supply or hardware. Follow the directions exactly and you will end up with a slick, water proof and solvent proof finish at your desired gloss level that will last many years.

RAN

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I like using ProStock gun stock finish. It is very thin making it easier to avoid a built up finish. Go the prep route you described (do absolutely no sanding on areas that butt up to the metal), make sure the pours are filled and it should come out great.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I never agree w/Sitka because his remedies are usually too involved but in this case he is spot on. Following his procedure will end up in a nice overall finish. powdr

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Sitka, can I raise the dents through the orginal Remington finish or do I need to strip it to let the water vapor/steam penetrate?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Raise them through the original finish. You do not have to strip the finish. The Formby's will dissolve some of it and allow you to redistribute the old finish.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (007FJ, 1minute, 06hunter59, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 56 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,549
Posts18,472,957
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.