Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
My Dad sent this dreiling home from Germany in 1945. I understand that "drillings" were often used by gamekeepers in old Imperial Germany on large estates. The men could carry a fowling piece and a rifle in the same firearm. I'm not sure how my dad came to have this drilling, but I've always assumed it was "looted", or liberated as a spoil of war. It really does look like an honest, working gun without many frills. Apparently, it once had a sling attached as well. That's something I'd like to restore. I believe that this one pre-dates World War One. I have read that these guns were sometimes used as a "graduation project" for apprentice gunsmiths. They had to build one to demonstrate their prowess.

My Dad worked for ALCOA and we were transferred to Geelong, Victoria, Australia for 14 months in 1966-67. Dad took the drilling along and sure enough, in a dusty old antique shop in Geelong, he came across 18 or 19 loose rifle rounds that the owner produced from an old desk drawer. My father worked with a former WII German merchant sailor and the two of them took it to the beach in Geelong to test fire it, flipping a coin to see who would do the deed. My Dad won the toss, and held it from around the bumper of our car to shoot...just to be sure it didn't kaboom for some reason. Up to our arrival in Australia, he didn't even know the rifle's caliber.

Later, he took it on a kangaroo hunt with some Aussie mates from work and shot three with the 9.3x72, including one 6-footer shot from 100 yards. Not bad with those sights I'd say. That was the only time he ever shot the rifle. Dad used the two 16 gauge barrels to kill many a dove, quail and squirrel with the drilling here in central Texas and when he passed in 1979, it became mine. I found the ammunition shown in the pics in an old gun shop in Temple, Texas not long after he died. Some might be interested to know that the barrels are all 28" in length.

I posted about this gun a few years ago, but the pics were not that good. I recently posed it for a few new ones and they turned out better. I gave her a good wipe-down with Ballistol and remembered my son pointing out before that that had probably been done before, long ago in another place.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Texgunner; 10/17/15.

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is a Grand Old Gun. cool cool

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wow !
Wonderful Arm
Wonderful cartridge !
Wonderful history and legacy,....

Be VERY attentive to the condition of the wood in the wrist / lock mortise area. Do NOT let any incipient splitting progress.

Greg

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
That is a Grand Old Gun. cool cool

Thanks so much!

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Wow !
Wonderful Arm
Wonderful cartridge !

Be VERY attentive to the condition of the wood in the wrist / lock mortise area. Do NOT let any incipient splitting progress.

Greg

Thanks! I really appreciate it. You know, I had not noticed the small crack on the right side until I looked at these pics. It's funny how the photos really help one find things like that. Thanks for the head's up, I will be very careful with that area, and really haven't any plans to shoot the gun again.
Gary

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It would be a shame not to shoot it. It has brace of quail and a whitetail in the same morning written all over it.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Awesome.. As Mart says shoot it and enjoy!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Texgunner
Wow !
Wonderful Arm
Wonderful cartridge !

Greg

Thanks! I really appreciate it. You know, I had not noticed the small crack on the right side until I looked at these pics. It's funny how the photos really help one find things like that. Thanks for the head's up, I will be very careful with that area, and really haven't any plans to shoot the gun again.
Gary

It's just the nature of the beast,...Years of care, regardless of HOW reverent see that area (rather fragile to begin with) perhaps soaked with a bit of oil, and an attendant weakening in consequence. There are MANY qualified shops across our great land that can reinforce / restore those weakened areas. Never before in history have there been so many really fine products available to the dedicated student of restorative maintenance of dry rotted or otherwise weakened wood.

Opinions will vary wildly as to just what and how the best end results are achieved,...and some of the past discussions of the subject here on this site are a fascinating and oftimes amusing read. To my knowledge there have been no death threats emminating from these spirited debates among talented and seasoned craftspeople, rather advanced tutorials on the "art and science" of the deal.
That said ,....CAUTION:
There are unfortunately probably a larger population of wannabe HACKS out there, more than willing to screw up your fine old piece with cheap hardware store "Gorilla Chidt", cheap epoxy, or some other nonsense. Avoid them and their ilk,....
DO find a qualified shop and let them do an inspection and whatever little restorative repair's required around the lock mortises and the upper and lower tangs,...get that beauty ready for its NEXT Century of reliable hard service.

If it sounds like I've fallen in love with that piece, it's cuz' I HAVE.

SHOOT IT dittos.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Texgunner
Wow !
Wonderful Arm
Wonderful cartridge !

Greg

Gary

It's just the nature of the beast,...Years of care, regardless of HOW reverent see that area (rather fragile to begin with) perhaps soaked with a bit of oil, and an attendant weakening in consequence. There are MANY qualified shops across our great land that can reinforce / restore those weakened areas. Never before in history have there been so many really fine products available to the dedicated student of restorative maintenance of dry rotted or otherwise weakened wood.

Opinions will vary wildly as to just what and how the best end results are achieved,...and some of the past discussions of the subject here on this site are a fascinating and oftimes amusing read. To my knowledge there have been no death threats emminating from these spirited debates among talented and seasoned craftspeople, rather advanced tutorials on the "art and science" of the deal.
That said ,....CAUTION:
There are unfortunately probably a larger population of wannabe HACKS out there, more than willing to screw up your fine old piece with cheap hardware store "Gorilla Chidt", cheap epoxy, or some other nonsense. Avoid them and their ilk,....
DO find a qualified shop and let them do an inspection and whatever little restorative repair's required around the lock mortises and the upper and lower tangs,...get that beauty ready for its NEXT Century of reliable hard service.

If it sounds like I've fallen in love with that piece, it's cuz' I HAVE.

SHOOT IT dittos.

GTC

Thanks so much for the great advice! I think I will see if I can get a little restorative repair done on the old girl. I'm planning to retire from my teaching job after this year, and seeing to this gun sounds like a worthwhile project to start. I'm just tickled that so many folks have enjoyed seeing her, and offered good advice too. I'd love to see one of my grandsons take a deer on our place with their great-grandfather's "bring back"! That would be so cool. grin

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
GTC [/quote]

I'd love to see one of my grandsons take a deer on our place with their great-grandfather's "bring back"! That would be so cool. grin [/quote]

+1

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
With all the grief, we got some very good things out of WWII (like NOT living UNDER some seriously evil people--we bitch about our rulers a lot, but ask anyone who lived in occupied Poland, France, or the Philippines!).

Your drilling is a lovely reminder of that.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Thanks Mike. Sorry for the delayed reply; your response somehow slipped under the radar!
Gary

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have someone who knows these guns well glass the action to the butt stock (with release compound of course), then use the heck out of that Classic beauty.

You'll feel a certain thrill out of having a shotgun that's a rifle, also. It also works the other way. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

314 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 29aholic, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 10ring1, 44 invisible), 3,143 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,641
Posts18,533,608
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.