Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 103 of 175 1 2 101 102 103 104 105 174 175
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idared
However I would be curious to know how many folks on here have actually sat on a jury in a criminal case, that lasted three days or more,

I have.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Coast Guard?

Yessir!

What did you do when they wouldn't get back in the BOAT after you asked them in your best Andy Griffith style while not calling them Sir?

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by Idared
However I would be curious to know how many folks on here have actually sat on a jury in a criminal case, that lasted three days or more,

I have.

I'm not surprised to hear that and my thanks for helping the system work as intended.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've sat on a couple civil trials

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have, a murder trial.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by jimy
I have, a murder trial.

Did it go to a verdict?

-George Washington
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gitem_12

My suspicion is that he never really thought he was going to have to arrest him, but once the bluff is called by "ok arrest me then"..he had to follow through.

Now a question for you.

Where is the logic in a cantankerous feeble old man who has staples still in his chest, d3cising that it was a good idea to push the cop to actually arrest him.

Now we come to the crux of the matter. Wood issued a threat to the old man trying to bully him back into the car. The old man called him on it. Wood escalated, then the old man escalated. They both were [bleep], the only difference being that Wood is the [bleep] with the badge and the gun that's paid not to be an [bleep].

The old fart being arrested is not the logical end to the sequence. As a matter of fact, I'll dare to suggest the old fart had a habit of coming out of his car when pulled over, and this was not the first time he had a confrontation with the cops over it.

It's just that Wood was unable, and if I were defense council I'd say unwilling, to achieve compliance without violence.

Now your assignment, compare and contrast with the Yantis case.......

Sic Semper Tyrannis
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yes it did, he was convicted of first degree murder and sentenced to death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dutch

My suspicion is that he never really thought he was going to have to arrest him, but once the bluff is called by "ok arrest me then"..he had to follow through.

Now a question for you.

Where is the logic in a cantankerous feeble old man who has staples still in his chest, d3cising that it was a good idea to push the cop to actually arrest him.

Now we come to the crux of the matter. Wood issued a threat to the old man trying to bully him back into the car. The old man called him on it. Wood escalated, then the old man escalated. They both were [bleep], the only difference being that Wood is the [bleep] with the badge and the gun that's paid not to be an [bleep].

The old fart being arrested is not the logical end to the sequence. As a matter of fact, I'll dare to suggest the old fart had a habit of coming out of his car when pulled over, and this was not the first time he had a confrontation with the cops over it.

It's just that Wood was unable, and if I were defense council I'd say unwilling, to achieve compliance without violence.

The paid police professional ran out of creativity at "get back in the car," with an implied "because I said so." That was bound to go over well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I frankly don't believe the cop has to be any more creative than that. Our rights get infringed a hell of a lot more than that every day and nobody does anything about it. That old man needed to get a sense of proportion.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Confession case, or other evidence?

-George Washington
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dutch

Now a question for you.

The paid police professional ran out of creativity at "get back in the car," with an implied "because I said so." That was bound to go over well.

I sure appreciate your common sense. Seems like effective communication is a lost art among LE today. It's all about the citizen having zero rights, and the officer can ask them to do any damn thing he/she wants, and it better be done and right now, HOW HIGH SHALL I JUMP SIR?!!!

LOL
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by cv540

Confession case, or other evidence?

Plenty of evidence, he had a co defendant, that was tried later and given life.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BarryC
I frankly don't believe the cop has to be any more creative than that. Our rights get infringed a hell of a lot more than that every day and nobody does anything about it. That old man needed to get a sense of proportion.

And the cop needed a sense of diplomacy.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Reason I ask, probably quite a few police witnesses. Some probably pretty credible, some maybe not as much so.

Most juries are usually pretty good at assessing the credibility of witnesses, both police and non police.

Usually there is one police witness who is crucial to making the case, either for the prosecution or the defense.

Wondering if that was your experience seeing it from a different viewpoint?

-George Washington
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Alexander Hamilton included these words in his instruction to his Revenue Cutter Service commanding officers.

While I recommend in the strongest terms to the respective officers, activity, vigilance and
firmness, I feel no less solicitude, that their deportment may be marked with prudence,
moderation and good temper. Upon these last qualities, not less that the former, must depend
the success, usefulness and consequently continuance of the establishment in which they are
included. They cannot be insensible that there are some prepossessions against it, that the
charge with which they are intrusted [sic] is a delicate one, and that it is easy by
mismanagement, to produce serious and extensive clamour, disgust and odium.
They will always keep in mind that their countrymen are freemen, and, as such, are
impatient of everything that bears the least mark of a domineering spirit. They will, therefore,
refrain, with the most guarded circumspection, from whatever has the semblance of
haughtiness, rudeness, or insult. If obstacles occur, they will remember that they are under the
particular protection of the laws and that they can meet with nothing disagreeable in the
execution of their duty which these will not severely reprehend. This reflection, and a regard
to the good of the service, will prevent, at all times a spirit of irritation or resentment. They
will endeavor to overcome difficulties, if any are experienced, by a cool and temperate
perseverance in their duty--by address and moderation, rather than by vehemence or violence.

More timeless words of LE value may have never been penned. I never certified a soul to conduct CG LE unless they knew these words and embraced them. They may be more on point today than ever before.

B
BFD Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I had a Liquor Enforcement cop get all butt hurt when I refered to him by his name.

He actually insisted on being referred to as Officer so and so. It didn't work.

I got ticketed for an infraction that day grin It was well worth it. If he shot me...it would of been less so.

You are lucky you didn't get shot for your disobedience.

he is undoubtedly white.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Alexander Hamilton included these words in his instruction to his Revenue Cutter Service commanding officers.

While I recommend in the strongest terms to the respective officers, activity, vigilance and
firmness, I feel no less solicitude, that their deportment may be marked with prudence,
moderation and good temper. Upon these last qualities, not less that the former, must depend
the success, usefulness and consequently continuance of the establishment in which they are
included. They cannot be insensible that there are some prepossessions against it, that the
charge with which they are intrusted [sic] is a delicate one, and that it is easy by
mismanagement, to produce serious and extensive clamour, disgust and odium.
They will always keep in mind that their countrymen are freemen, and, as such, are
impatient of everything that bears the least mark of a domineering spirit. They will, therefore,
refrain, with the most guarded circumspection, from whatever has the semblance of
haughtiness, rudeness, or insult. If obstacles occur, they will remember that they are under the
particular protection of the laws and that they can meet with nothing disagreeable in the
execution of their duty which these will not severely reprehend. This reflection, and a regard
to the good of the service, will prevent, at all times a spirit of irritation or resentment. They
will endeavor to overcome difficulties, if any are experienced, by a cool and temperate
perseverance in their duty--by address and moderation, rather than by vehemence or violence.

More timeless words of LE value may have never been penned. I never certified a soul to conduct CG LE unless they knew these words and embraced them. They may be more on point today than ever before.

Most of our local campfire LEO don't believe a word of that.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Good post Paul. You seem to be the type of fellow LE needs a lot more of. I encountered a few like myself and yourself during my time in LE but we're certainly a minority. I've impressed those ideals in my son who's currently a USMC MP, I sincerely hope he never abandons them.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Good post Paul. You seem to be the type of fellow LE needs a lot more of. I encountered a few like myself and yourself during my time in LE but we're certainly a minority. I've impressed those ideals in my son who's currently a USMC MP, I sincerely hope he never abandons them.

One of these asshats will be along in a few to call you a liar, they'll wanna know where you son is stationed.

Page 103 of 175 1 2 101 102 103 104 105 174 175

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,442
Posts18,489,508
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.