Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 104 of 175 1 2 102 103 104 105 106 174 175
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Good post Paul. You seem to be the type of fellow LE needs a lot more of. I encountered a few like myself and yourself during my time in LE but we're certainly a minority. I've impressed those ideals in my son who's currently a USMC MP, I sincerely hope he never abandons them.

It's important to note that I dealt largely with a good and compliant slice of society. My heart goes out to officers who deal with the dregs day in and day out. Their job is much tougher than mine was. Still though, those words should be a guiding light for all who ply the LE trade.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by mirage243
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Alexander Hamilton included these words in his instruction to his Revenue Cutter Service commanding officers.

While I recommend in the strongest terms to the respective officers, activity, vigilance and
firmness, I feel no less solicitude, that their deportment may be marked with prudence,
moderation and good temper. Upon these last qualities, not less that the former, must depend
the success, usefulness and consequently continuance of the establishment in which they are
included. They cannot be insensible that there are some prepossessions against it, that the
charge with which they are intrusted [sic] is a delicate one, and that it is easy by
mismanagement, to produce serious and extensive clamour, disgust and odium.
They will always keep in mind that their countrymen are freemen, and, as such, are
impatient of everything that bears the least mark of a domineering spirit. They will, therefore,
refrain, with the most guarded circumspection, from whatever has the semblance of
haughtiness, rudeness, or insult. If obstacles occur, they will remember that they are under the
particular protection of the laws and that they can meet with nothing disagreeable in the
execution of their duty which these will not severely reprehend. This reflection, and a regard
to the good of the service, will prevent, at all times a spirit of irritation or resentment. They
will endeavor to overcome difficulties, if any are experienced, by a cool and temperate
perseverance in their duty--by address and moderation, rather than by vehemence or violence.

More timeless words of LE value may have never been penned. I never certified a soul to conduct CG LE unless they knew these words and embraced them. They may be more on point today than ever before.

Most of our local campfire LEO don't believe a word of that.

You likely can't identify "most". You dn sure are ignorant about what many believe.

Carry on, though, it's slightly amusing to watch.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have no dog in this fight. No preconceived notions. I am not a cop hater or lover. Having thus staked my tent in neutrality, I will opine this:

Reading the transcript between Whaley and Wood, I cannot place blame on Wood. Sounds like he handled it right and Whaley should be ashamed of his actions. Who did he think he was, someone important?

As for the Yantis case, sad deal. It sounds like this is possibly a LE error given the family's story. But before I rush to judgement, I will wait to hear the other story and maybe some video footage. I think to place 100% of your eggs in either basket is jumping to conclusions. Remember how we all bagged on Obama for jumping to conclusions when he came to the defense of that black college professor...was it in Georgetown? Obama defended him then looked like the ass he is when it turned out the other way. So just because it looks like LE error from what we know now, there may be some evidence that something else happened.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
If the dash or body cam footage favored the police you can be dam sure it'd be released already. Probably editing out 86 minutes of unnecessary footage...

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I walked out of the theater when "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" was debuting. That was 40 years ago. I just couldn't believe that so many people were that crazy. Now I realize that there are far more nuts than most will ever realize, and those nuts will always be the wheel that squeaks the loudest.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BFD
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I had a Liquor Enforcement cop get all butt hurt when I refered to him by his name.

He actually insisted on being referred to as Officer so and so. It didn't work.

I got ticketed for an infraction that day grin It was well worth it. If he shot me...it would of been less so.

You are lucky you didn't get shot for your disobedience.

he is undoubtedly white.

Only above the waist.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Update..Now the sheriff is having second thoughts about bringing the deputies back after a backlash of negative comments after releasing there names.(Good)

BOISE -- Earlier this week, Adams County Sheriff Ryan Zollman identified Brian Wood, 31, and Cody Roland, 38, as the two deputies involved in the shooting death of Council rancher Jack Yantis. Zollman said that identifying the two deputies has sparked a new wave of angry emails and phone calls to the Adams County Sheriff's Office.

"With the release of the names it's definitely flared up again," said Zollman. "They don't believe they should come back to work ever as a sheriff's deputy."

That decision of when, and if, the men will return to active duty is one that weighs heavily on Zollman.

"I am absolutely concerned about that," said Zollman, "You know I think the two deputies are very intelligent, and you know they're very good deputies. But with that said, there's always going to be a few out there that don't feel that way and it will definitely affect their jobs."

Both deputies are on paid administrative leave right now. Zollman says that is where they will remain at least until the ISP investigation is complete.

"ICRMP, our liability insurance, has decided that they are going to reimburse the county for their salaries to keep them on paid administrative leave until the ISP investigation is completed," said Zollman.

According to its website, ICRMP is a casualty insurance program created exclusively for Idaho local government.

In a written statement, Executive Director Rick Ferguson explained his decision to reimburse Adams County.

"With such a small law enforcement staff, there is pressure to either bring the officers back to alleviate the stress and overtime costs that come with having to fill shifts by the remaining active officers, including the Sheriff himself, or to hire temporary officers to fill those shifts. Either way there is extra financial cost to the county, which operates on a thin budget."

The results of the ISP investigation will decide if Wood and Roland will face charges.

But for Zollman, he fears that negative backlash they've already received might be too much for his deputies to overcome.

"I've had long conversations with both of them, discussing that exact thing whether they feel like this is the best place for them to continue their careers," said Zollman.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I walked out of the theater when "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" was debuting. That was 40 years ago. I just couldn't believe that so many people were that crazy. Now I realize that there are far more nuts than most will ever realize, and those nuts will always be the wheel that squeaks the loudest.
I've never been able to watch the movie all the way through. Nicholson was one of the trial subjects for LSD when the government was developing it, if I'm not mistaken. At any rate, I've spent a good enough portion of my life around crazy folks that they neither fascinate nor entertain me. Same with movies focusing on insanity. The irony is though, that IIRC, the movie/book was about a sane criminal who got himself purposely committed to avoid prison over murder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
or to hire temporary officers to fill those shifts. Either way there is extra financial cost to the county, which operates on a thin budget."

Since insurance is paying the salary of the suspended deputy's, where would the extra cost be coming from? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Wrong...the guy didn't win a lawsuit. He accepted a settlement, a very, very low one. Which tells me that it was cheaper to pay him, than for the city to spend money on lawyers to win the lawsuit.

But hey....keep tryin
Why was Wood let go then? Isn't that an admission of guilt? Also non-defense of the lawsuit makes the city appear guilty.

IC B3

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Wrong...the guy didn't win a lawsuit. He accepted a settlement, a very, very low one. Which tells me that it was cheaper to pay him, than for the city to spend money on lawyers to win the lawsuit.
Why was Wood let go then? Isn't that an admission of guilt?

No.

A friend of mine was let go from a position because he wanted to fight the issue in a court of law versus the higher ups decision to settle.

He threatened to take his case public if they settled, and they decided to terminate him to save all the PR and court headaches - even though the employee was not at fault.

Also non-defense of the lawsuit makes the city appear guilty.

Maybe to low information folks that don't know its all about money. Very few people care about the facts in an issue anymore.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your friend could have still taken the issue public, even more so after whatever entity you're speaking of terminated him. Regardless of what you think, the question is rhetorical and non-defense and a payout does make the city look guilty as does the termination of Wood. It is the equivalent of pleading the 5th. Jurors may be ordered to not consider that in some judgement, but the public always sees it as some sort of admission of guilt.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
but the public always sees it as some sort of admission of guilt.

Hence my low-information comment.

Probably the same type of people that form virtual lynch mobs.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by RWE

No.

Maybe to low information folks that don't know its all about money. Very few people care about the facts in an issue anymore.....

People who believe either of these things tend to have little experience of the private sector. Or they have been sleepwalking through life.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by RWE

No.

People who believe either of these things tend to have little experience of the private sector. Or they have been sleepwalking through life.
Most folks do have little experience of the things I feel you are talking about. Thankfully they will never be arrested for a crime they didn't commit and then told by a lawyer to do a plea bargain because their defense will be too expensive. Anybody that thinks something like that doesn't brand you as guilty to the general public, is either a [bleep] liar or an idiot.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RWE

Probably the same type of people who lie about [bleep] on the internet and then turn around and try to act holier than thou. Kind of like people who said and keep saying Hawkeye got kicked out of the police academy. IOW, liars.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anybody that thinks something like that doesn't brand you as guilty to the general public, is either a [bleep] liar or an idiot.

What do we call anybody that exploits the ignorance of the public in this regard or allows it to fester rather than at least trying to explain possibilities to the contrary?

Originally Posted by RWE

Probably the same type of people who lie about [bleep] on the internet and then turn around and try to act holier than thou. Kind of like people who said and keep saying Hawkeye got kicked out of the police academy. IOW, liars.

Hawk was in the police academy?

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Same.

Last edited by RWE; 12/02/15.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RWE
Anybody that thinks something like that doesn't brand you as guilty to the general public, is either a [bleep] liar or an idiot.

What do we call anybody that exploits the ignorance of the public in this regard or allows it to fester rather than at least trying to explain possibilities to the contrary?

Originally Posted by RWE

Thanks for proving my point.

Last edited by EthanEdwards; 12/02/15.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Any one heard much about the next Chicago shooting tape that will be released in a couple weeks?

If the rumors are even close there will be fires.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE

Thanks for proving my point.

You needed a lay up.

I gave it to you.

Merry Christmas!

Page 104 of 175 1 2 102 103 104 105 106 174 175

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (2003and2013, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 61 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,460
Posts18,489,808
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.