Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm looking for the following cold weather gear:

1. A balaclava that prohibits condensation from forming on the inside when worn over the mouth and nose.

2. Mesh vest or an under-shirt that has pockets for the air-activated heat packs (Hot Hands).

I've searched the net and really can't find what I'm looking for. Can anyone make a suggestion to point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Stud: I've found the Buff brand microfiber neck gaiters have less condensation when worn as a balaclava than some other brands I've worn including First Lite merino. Not perfect, but better plus no seams and they come in camo. I've never tried their wool version.

Regarding heat packs: look for a wool cycling jersey with the pockets located in back approximately the kidney location. Worn as a mid layer the hot packs placed in those pockets make a big difference. Lots of blood flow to kidneys.

I'm probably not a lot of help but those two things have worked for me.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
...I purchased a USMC Polartec 100 pullover off Ebay. Something like this might work for you. It has a "kangaroo" type front pouch.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is a link to a balaclava that looks like it could double as a Darth Vader mask around Halloween. It may work for your needs:

Talus ColdAvenger

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
In regards to the balaclava, I see a lot of snowmobilers wearing a neoprene facemask that covers the nose and has multiple small holes in the mouth area. Maybe check the google for snowmobile gear/clothing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Have a pard that swears by the wearable lower back heating pads. Basically like "Hot Hands" for your lower back.

This:

http://www.thermacare.com/lower-back-and-hip-heatwraps

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The neoprene facemask with the ventilation holes works well. As for the undershirt to utilize hot hands, try this:
http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/2053121768/511-holster-shirt-v-neck-short-sleeve-synthetic-blend

I haven't tried it; but, it would be multi use (always a plus) and I think it would work.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 12/04/15.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by horse1
Have a pard that swears by the wearable lower back heating pads. Basically like "Hot Hands" for your lower back.

This:

http://www.thermacare.com/lower-back-and-hip-heatwraps

These are the ticket. They keep your low back area warm all day and are not bulky.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I keep finding stuff on the trail. Haven't tested it all yet.. smile

Today, at 5 degrees, I used a full-face hood, with neck coverage and a nose piece that I kept well away from my skin. Over this I had a poly sweatshirt hood, a bomber hat, and an outer light-parka hood while running 15- 35 mph on my snow machine RT about 45 miles. Stops to glass and kill. Had to remove outer parka, bomber hat, and push back the shirt-hood to dress the game. Too hot. Kept the hood on, with face part pushed down.

The hoodie nose piece iced up while snogo running, but wasn't a problem, as it was out away from my skin. It did keep the breeze off, and nose and chin area warm. Also was wearing snow machine goggles for full face coverage.

The hood also kept my neck warm, along with the high collars on the under jacket and light parka. Sometimes i also wear a neck gaiter, which can be pulled up. but not today. It was in the fanny pack, tho. Yes, it does ice up when breathed thru.

I've been at this awhile.... smile

Last edited by las; 12/05/15.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

324 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 160user, 10Glocks, 33 invisible), 1,775 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,326
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.