Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I purchased a gun safe at TRACTOR SUPPLY.It weighs 525#. I know
that they will load it but-- should I put it in the pickup bed or
a utility trailer? When I get it home how do I get it out safely?
Can I use a furniture dolly or do I need something heavier.
Thanks for your help!!

mjones 59
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The lower it is the better. Do you have access to a pallet jack?

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Best advice is to have it moved professionally by people with experience and the right equipment. Far less potential for damage or personal injury. Money well spent.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by lotech
Best advice is to have it moved professionally by people with experience and the right equipment. Far less potential for damage or personal injury. Money well spent.

^^^ This.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If you get a commercial hand truck with straps, you can move it by yourself. I moved hundreds of vending machines that weighed more than 500 pounds by myself with the hand truck. Stairs will require help, although going down, you might still be able to do it alone...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Moved two this weekend from Tractor supply, one was the 80 gun at 750 lbs. we used a utility trailer that tilted and a home made dolly. It was about 2ft by 2 ft plate with casters at each corner. Worked great, low to the ground and 3 guys.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have moved my gun safe twice, once by myself. It's staying where it is. If we sell the house I'm just getting a new gun safe and having it delivered.

Mathew 22: 37-39

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Good dolly rated for the weight will do nicely. Lotsa ways to move heavy stuff if you just think about it a bit as to your situation. One of the slickest ways to move a safe is to make a dam of pool noodles taped to the floor and roll the safe on golf balls. Takes longer to set up than actually do. Bucket of balls and you are rolling! Using mechanical advantages 500 pounds is not that much weight.

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by shrapnel

If you get a commercial hand truck with straps, you can move it by yourself. I moved hundreds of vending machines that weighed more than 500 pounds by myself with the hand truck. Stairs will require help, although going down, you might still be able to do it alone...

So that's where your knee went... grin (Gettin'old ain't fer sissies!)

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I got mine home I put it on a moving pad and we pulled it into place . Only works for the first floor.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
When I bought my safe from the LGS, they helped arrange delivery with local movers. Lift gate on truck and two or three guys with a furniture dolly got it in the house easily. I think mine's around 800 lbs and I've since moved it around the house with a dolly and one other guy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by okie
Originally Posted by shrapnel

So that's where your knee went... grin (Gettin'old ain't fer sissies!)

And both shoulders had rotator cuff surgery and one hernia with the second one scheduled before the knee replacement...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
utility trailer

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Get a price for professional movers.

Weigh that against hernias, ruptured discs, damaged floors. etc.

DF

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mjones59
I purchased a gun safe at TRACTOR SUPPLY.It weighs 525#. I know
that they will load it but-- should I put it in the pickup bed or
a utility trailer? When I get it home how do I get it out safely?
Can I use a furniture dolly or do I need something heavier.
Thanks for your help!!

I bought my safe from TSC, about the same or heavier than your safe, I was able to pull it out of my 1/2 ton pickup using a ratchet strap, and tip it off the tailgate and stand it up in less than 5 minutes.

It took about an hour to get it up on the furniture dolly and roll it to the front door, over the 4" tall threshold into the living room, I slid it over the hardwood floor on a towel.

It would be far easier with another person but can be done solo with some creative thinking but I think 600# is about the limit for me.

Dave

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I just got a quote from one outfit of $400 and another for $300 to move it from the store to my bedroom. A total trip one way of 5 miles and a total move of 20 feet and one doorway with threshold. Seems steep to me (900 pound safe).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Get a price for professional movers.

Weigh that against hernias, ruptured discs, damaged floors. etc.

DF

This.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anything higher than 1 foot or lower than the first floor, hire professionals. Saves a lot on hospital bills and time off from work.

Last edited by mtnsnake; 12/07/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of ways to move heavy objects without fear of killing yourself or anyone else in the vicinity. If you have steps such as a porch to go up, or a large threshhold on the entrance door, you may need a hand truck with straps for heavy appliances. Another alternative we use at work to move heavy electrical equipment up to 10K lbs is to use some 1/2" or larger rod or heavy wall pipe in short sections. Put it under the piece and roll it along. As the pieces come out the back, put them back in front and keep on moving. You can also spin the safe into position with these rollers very easily. I moved my heavy lathe into position from my utility trailer to my shop by myself in this manner and it was easy as pie.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Some good advice already.

One additional suggestion, most safes are set up so that you can remove the door, which is the majority of the weight. Usually you have to open it to a certain point, and then you can lift the door up and free of the hinges.

I would suggest doing this with a pallet jack. Makes things a lot easier to move a 350# piece and a 250# piece.

Using a pallet jack to move the safe itself is the way to go if you have a level surface to move it. I would get a small utility trailer that tips. Between that and a pallet jack, you should be set.

Montana MOFO
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

56 members (257_X_50, 6MMWASP, 907brass, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, AKislander, 6 invisible), 1,435 guests, and 790 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,078
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.