Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by john843
1gun, I know it's not what you asked but I'd split the difference and get a Hawkeye. All-Weather if you can find one.

John

I agree. I had Vanguard 7mm-08 for a short while, but sold it because it was so dang heavy. My brother has a RAR in .30-06 and while it is a great rifle, it doesn't have that "feel".

Whittaker's has the following M77 Hawkeyes for $499!

Standard Wood - .243
All Weather - .243/.270/7mm/.300wm

Great deals IMO

-JW
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
The Weatherby Vanguard S2 carbine would be a fairly light carbine. You can get them in 7mm-08 and 308 Win. One of these would make a nice lightweight hunting rifle. And, they won't cost a lot. In fact, I believe they are a bargain.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
The Weatherby Vanguard S2 carbine would be a fairly light carbine. You can get them in 7mm-08 and 308 Win. One of these would make a nice lightweight hunting rifle. And, they won't cost a lot. In fact, I believe they are a bargain.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1gunhuntr
Spec, going to be used for a whitetail still hunting gun.I mainly use my marlin336 for the task.

For that purpose I'd much rather carry my kid's RAR compact in my hands all day than my EDGE-stocked Howa. The Vanguard compact is listed as 7 lbs, which isn't my idea of a starting point for "lightweight."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Howaguard.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Vanguard all day

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I haven't seen any Vanguards on the shelves here. The RARs are selling for just over $400, and a Tikka is over $700. For a Northeast woods gun I would buy the RAR in a 7mm-08 or 308. If I wanted something to take out west, I would go for a bigger caliber in a Vanguard. My buddy has a MOA Vanguard in 300 Weatherby, and it shoots like crazy. However, you don't need that for deer in lower NY State or Vermont. I happen to like Tikkas, and my Tikka 695 in 30-06 would work here and out west.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
I haven't seen any Vanguards on the shelves here. The RARs are selling for just over $400, and a Tikka is over $700. For a Northeast woods gun I would buy the RAR in a 7mm-08 or 308. If I wanted something to take out west, I would go for a bigger caliber in a Vanguard. My buddy has a MOA Vanguard in 300 Weatherby, and it shoots like crazy. However, you don't need that for deer in lower NY State or Vermont. I happen to like Tikkas, and my Tikka 695 in 30-06 would work here and out west.

They make Vanguards in short action chamberings also.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 for the Vanguard.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Guys thanks a lot for the input, I appreciate it!!! I have the opportunity to purchase a VG S1 in 270W never been fired for $350 or a RAR for $339.

Here my observation, the VG has a better stock,better fit and better finish

RAR lighter weight,definate plus, stock,IMO sucks, don't like the blade trigger.

VG just seems like a better made rifle the only down side is the weight.

I know which rifle I like better but am I being too critical of the RAR?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You only hafta please you. If you don't like the gun, don't buy it. I like Howaguards better too. But given lighter weight options there's no way I'd carry one in my hands all day. Maybe you stillhunt differently than me though.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
IMO, you are getting a lot more rifle for just a little more money with the Vanguard. Plus you seem to like it, so it sounds like a winner to me.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Seafire
The Vanguard is the same as the Howa 1500, and Whittaker's ( Short Action Smokers) Shop, carries them for $329. I had one delivered to my FFL guy for $345.

It is replacing a Ruger Am. Predator for me...I just have issues with the Ruger, and in a year plus, just haven't been able to warm up to it, no matter how much I've tried... its real accurate.... but so is the Howa...

plus the Howa feels like a real gun in my hands, where the RAR feels like a Wannabe...

If it is a 7/08 you might be wanting, then Tatelaw's suggestion of the Marlin XS7 is a preferable alternative IMHO over the RAR.....

I made the decision, by holding the Ruger and shouldering it with my eyes closed concentrating how it felt... and then did so with the Howa....made my decision off of that..

You can hold both of those rifles up to your shoulder and close your eyes and wish they were something else, but in the end they are what they are... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Guys thanks a lot for the input, I appreciate it!!! I have the opportunity to purchase a VG S1 in 270W never been fired for $350 or a RAR for $339.

Here my observation, the VG has a better stock,better fit and better finish

RAR lighter weight,definate plus, stock,IMO sucks, don't like the blade trigger.

VG just seems like a better made rifle the only down side is the weight.

I know which rifle I like better but am I being too critical of the RAR?

It's you who has to be happy with your decision. I bought a vanguard once and had extraction issues with it. Had to send it to a factory authorized service center. 3 times before they fixed it... It is your money, sometimes you get what you pay for... wink.... and now we know why I buy real rifles now... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
..... am I being too critical of the RAR?

IMO, yep.

The RAR is a remarkable design for a hunting rifle. It has a lot going for it, regardless of it's economy price point. I like it's ergos and care less that it 'feels' cheap. Paraphrasing something I read on 24hrCF; how well it functions in the field trumps fluff that only matters on the couch. The few shortcomings I've encountered are easily fixed with a rasp, rattle can spray paint, metal duct tape, canned expanding foam and a few minutes time.

That said, I am also not saying that the VG is a bad choice.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Seafire
The Vanguard is the same as the Howa 1500, and Whittaker's ( Short Action Smokers) Shop, carries them for $329. I had one delivered to my FFL guy for $345.

It is replacing a Ruger Am. Predator for me...I just have issues with the Ruger, and in a year plus, just haven't been able to warm up to it, no matter how much I've tried... its real accurate.... but so is the Howa...

plus the Howa feels like a real gun in my hands, where the RAR feels like a Wannabe...

If it is a 7/08 you might be wanting, then Tatelaw's suggestion of the Marlin XS7 is a preferable alternative IMHO over the RAR.....

I made the decision, by holding the Ruger and shouldering it with my eyes closed concentrating how it felt... and then did so with the Howa....made my decision off of that..

You can hold both of those rifles up to your shoulder and close your eyes and wish they were something else, but in the end they are what they are... wink

Kinda like a looking at a pair of shoes...

Looking at them doesn't tell me which one fits better, and feel better...

Neither are a Model 70, but then, the Howa is a more palatable alternative than is the Ruger... the Ruger American isn't a Model 77 Mk2.. thats for damned sure..

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Vanguard all the way. Yes it's heavier but unless you climb after sheep then it's not enought to matter. I often walk 18 holes 3-5 miles depending on the course carrying a golf bag that must weigh 20 lbs or more. The vanguard to my mind is just a much nicer rifle. Ymmv

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by bangeye
Vanguard all the way. Yes it's heavier but unless you climb after sheep then it's not enought to matter. I often walk 18 holes 3-5 miles depending on the course carrying a golf bag that must weigh 20 lbs or more. The vanguard to my mind is just a much nicer rifle. Ymmv

Dam I was that young once lol

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
2 Vanguards 308 and 7/08
1 Howa 30-06
NO RAR's.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Weatherby Vanguard S2 over RAR all day long. I have their .30-06 Sprg and .243 Win. On the heavy side - yeah, quality and excellent accuracy - yeah. Not down on Ruger - I own a RPR in 6.5 CM and love it. But given your choice for a hunting scenario, I'd definitely pick the Weatherby.

CC
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 06hunter59, 257robertsimp, 58 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,550
Posts18,472,964
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.