Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
If comparing a Remington'700 mountain SS in 308 vs a Tikka T3 Lite 308 which one is better rifle?
Which one more accurate???

Which one do you prefer ? Why?

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I prefer the Remington a lot more aftermarket accessories available plus I'm a Remington guy also I think the ountain rifle has a better stock.Have you considered a Remington model seven stainless?

D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I have thought about the seven- but the mountain offers everything that the seven does- and a 2 inch longer barrel - lighter weight- and a short action.

Last edited by DrDeath; 12/04/15.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm a raised cheekpiece fan and the 700 MR stock, both walnut and laminated, are among my favorite factory installed stocks.

I've owned several MRs and have recycled MR stocks on several other rifles.

I've never owned a Tikka of any sort, so I can't comment on them, for or against.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've got a Tikka T3 Lite, and while it's plenty accurate, I like the Remington stock MUCH better. And really, any modern rifle with good bedding and come simple care can be a 1 MOA shooter. What more do you need?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I prefer the Rem with a McEdge stock. I have a 260 and a 7-08 and love them. The Tikka LA for all calibers is definitely a negative.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a SS M700 SPS and a Tikka T3 lite and they are very close, both accurate, light and well balanced. Tikka has a better trigger, M700 has a better recoil pad.

LimbSaver makes a good replacement recoil pad for the Tikka and
Timney makes an excellent trigger assembly for a M700. The Tikka action is adjusted to not have a long throw for short calibers.

I think the decision is between if you want a removable clip magazine in a T3 or a fixed magazine in a 700.

Happy Hunting

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
id go with the remington

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have been a Remington man since my first rifle, a Remington Model 511, back in 1958. That said, I have owned four Tikkas and find them to be more accurate than Remingtons. The Remington Mountain rifle was not known for accuracy. The standard Model 700 and the Model 7 rifles are generally accurate. I have owned one Remington 700 Mountain Rifle, a 30-06, and it wasn't very accurate. Remington has the advantage of being "the small block Chevy" of centerfire rifles - everyone makes aftermarket gear for them.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've had both. I'd buy the Tikka again over the Remington. Same overall weight but the Tikka has a standard weight barrel vs a pencil thin barrel on the Mt Rifle. The Tikka was the more accurate gun.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If you want a carbine-style rifle, I recommend the Remington Model 7. I have owned three, and all shot well. I sold two, but still have the first one I bought 25 years ago, a blued/walnut 18-1/2" barreled 7mm-08. It shoots very well. Wearing a Leupold Compact 4x scope it weighs 7 lbs. even ready to hunt. I don't want it lighter. I have a target I shot in 1991 using a Leupold 2.5x Compact scope - five shots into 1/2". I sold the 308 and the 260, and I'm sorry that I did. The 260 was a stainless 20" job, and it shot very well. Don't ask why I sell guns that shoot..

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tikka. Cut the barrel to 18" and go forth and slay things.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Both will weigh about the same. I like T's and R's but the blind mag wins for me. Accuracy isn't an issue if you can tweak stuff. If I didn't have either and wanted a 308, itd be a Montana. But that wasnt your question and I might as well be the one to throw it in the thread.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I went with the Remington because the Tikka is ugly.

I went with the Remington because the MR is my favorite stock.

I went with the Remington because I have always been a Remington fan.

I went with the Remington because Remingtons normally are fairly accurate.

I went with the Remington because I prefer the bdl mag.

I went with the Remington because if I want to change something later there are plenty of aftermarket parts and gunsmiths that work on them.

I went with Remington and don't regret it.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got both. The Tikka is a decent rifle. No real challenge to get one to shoot.

BUT

I just can't love them. They just are missing something. Maybe it's the plastic, though very durable. Maybe it's the detachable mag. I don't know.

If I had to choose, it would be Remington every time. I don't own a single Remington I would get rid of in favor of either of my Tikkas.

Last edited by 1Deernut; 12/07/15.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 257heaven

I prefer the Rem with a McEdge stock. I have a 260 and a 7-08 and love them. The Tikka LA for all calibers is definitely a negative.

This.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
I've got both. The Tikka is a decent rifle. No real challenge to get one to shoot.

BUT

I just can't love them. They just are missing something. Maybe it's the plastic, though very durable. Maybe it's the detachable mag. I don't know.

If I had to choose, it would be Remington every time. I don't own a single Remington I would get rid of in favor of either of my Tikkas.

i agre with this. ive actually got a tikka im about to sell and get another Remington in its place. great shooting rifle but i cant get attached to it

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
700 +10 and yes, I have several T3s.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had both;

The Rem MR just seems to be what a rifle 'Should Be'.

Both are accurate.

Prefer the heavier barrel of the Tikka for the balance.

The Tikka safety (on) locks the bolt down (unlike the later/present Remingtons).

The Plastikka Stock is one of the best (and lightest -most are/were damned heavy) injection molded stocks (IMO).

Now I really like the Tikka detachable magazine, in my limited experience of detachable magazines (Rem. 788, Ruger American, M-16 & Tikka) it is the best.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I own(ed) both. I prefer the Rem. I like the trigger better, it looks much nicer and that Tikka has a lot of plastic on it and zero aftermarket support.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,434
Posts18,470,811
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.