Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Few questions for you guys. In cabelas gun library they have quite a few pre-64s. The prices seem high but I haven't been in the market for awhile. Can you dicker with them on the price and will the ship to your ffl or does it have to go to another store for pick up? Also if anyone knows how good are the inspections they perform on the rifles. Are the description accurate enough some seem better than others. Or is it better to buy private party or through GB?

Thanks in advance

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have bought a few from them. Guns were accurately described and guys on the phone were helpful. Threy dickered a bit, would say prices were fair based on my shopping and research. Both shipped to my FFL who did thorough inspection and found no issues with the guns.

I was chasing another one that was made in the year of my birth, was told it was sent to another store as an inventory transfer. Was never able to get a straight story on where it landed. Other than that, no issues at my end. Others may have differing experience, not sure.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I can only speak for the local Cabela's that opened this summer, the Gun Library staff's knowledge does not seem to be very broad. I had them appraise a gun and the Gun Library Manager reached for one of the price guide books and based his offer which was 70% of the book value on the price in the book. Most prices seem high and I haven't seen much turn over leading me to believe they won't negotiate much on price. As far as accuracy of description, I have read their on-line description of an item and then examined the item in the Gun Library. The description has proved to be about as accurate as those on Gun Broker and other on-line sites.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I've bought quite a few Pre 64 M70's from cabelas, mostly over the phone. If you're there in person and the gun has been sitting there awhile they very well might move on price.
Many stores have the prices a bit hi to way high, but I have also gotten some of my best deals there and once in while I've found one at a steal cause they didn't know what they had.
All in all I've been happy with my dealings with the gun library(s).

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I ran a Gun Library for a year and I must say it was the worst year of my life. There markup is a min 30%, there is no real inspection of the gun, pricing is somewhat flexible depending on how long they have had the gun.

Most of the truly knowledgeable Library staff is gone. A varmint 220 swift appeared on GI from a store down south. I called on it immediately and asked several questions and couldn't get answers to any of them. I managed to get them to reduce the price and bought the gun for about half of what it's worth.

I bought a std 270 from a North East store and once again asked several question and once again no answers. I made an offer and was told I could get a different gun for that offer. I told the Mgr what I felt he paid for the gun and that if he looked at his computer screen he could indeed sell the gun at my offer. When I got it there was no mention of the bluing wear at the muzzle so another call got me a $50 gift card.

If you buy something call and bitch about any little thing and you'll get the gift card.

Their pricing is usually way high or way low as in the Swift it was very low for a rifle in that condition.

In all honesty at the end of the day I'm no fan of Cabelas and those two M70's are the only thing I have bought from them in almost 10 years. The points on my Cabelas credit card helped reduce my overall cost. I would look more at Steve Barnett or Perry County Firearms for a M70 than Cabelas. I have done business with both and been very satisfied. I don't know what your looking for but I just shipped a nice std m70 30/06 to Steve a couple of weeks ago. A nice clean gun from the early to mid 50's

Last edited by GSPfan; 12/08/15.
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I have bought guns from their gun library both in person and over the phone. I wouldn't have bought anything from them if I didn't like the deal.

Cabelas is a retail store, not a gun show, you have to be ready to deal with a store more than an individual. They are there to make a profit and 10% or 50% doesn't matter, it is the gun and what you want to pay for it.

I continue to look at their gun library due to their continuous selection of nice guns. Their buyers are not consistent, as I have seen prices so good at one store you could buy it there and sell it to a different location and make money...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Knowledge can be very lacking. Like the Pre-War 220 Swift that was drilled and tapped that the guy was trying to tell me was factory.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If your looking for a nice M70 look here and the classifieds on this site. I have bought a couple of nice M70's from the good people on this forum.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have bought several different firearms from the various Gun Libraries. I've had mostly positive results, but like any internet sale, you have to be on your toes. I've talked to some GL managers that didn't seem to know a Winchester from a Remington and some that were extremely knowledgeable and helpful. It's is amazing to me the price variations between stores, as GSP said some are ridiculously high and others low. One bad experience resulted in me returning a rifle that was grossly miss-described to the point of deception. With shipping both ways and my dealers fees I figured it cost me about $100 but a call to customer service resulted in a $150 gift card and an apology from the sales person. Since a store opened up an hour away I have an out of state store ship to them so I can inspect it before taking delivery. If it doesn't meet my expectations, it stays there.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got a better deal in person, than the one that was rejected over the phone. They seem to have their areas of expertise and rely on the books for anything outside of that. I've made some good deals over the years and knowing what you're talking about seems to carry a lot of weight with them. The longer it's been there, the better your chances of getting what you want.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I was dispersing a large estate for a deceased relative's heirs not long after they opened the Ft. Worth store. They were operating at 40% then. I went elsewhere.

We did buy four new in the box Beretta shotguns from them one morning. They had been sent to a Quail Unlimited function several days prior. Weather was bad, few takers to use the demo guns. They had them mis marked by about $600 per copy. These where for relatives who wanted the new model. We could not come close with the FFL as we were not direct. They raised the prices as soon as we left.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I, like several who commented above, have had good luck purchasing firearms from Cabelas. I too watch the gun library listings on GI off and on during the week. Have picked up several extremely nice rifles. Have purchased some of the Cabelas 50th and Ltd.s Model 70's in .257, 7x57, .458 and 375 H&H. All upper end guns for the run with exceptional figure in the stocks. Most of these were on sale and in the case of one was on clearance. Also caught Winchester rebates on sales tax which further reduced the overall cost.

The best buy was a near mint Browning Safari in .257 Roberts that whoever priced it had no idea what it was. Was listed in my local store for well under any other Safari prices in other calibers listed in various gun libraries. Depending on what refernce one uses, they only made about 25 in that caliber. Another reference shows more, but one of the rarest of Safari calibers. Underpriced is an understatement. Felt like a thief.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
There are some good deals to be had. Especially if they don't know what they have... That's when you swoop in and snag it...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Thank you guys for your replies. Ill keep checking their sight mainly bc Im concerned about cabelas future and the risk of loosing my pts. if they let me spend em on a gun then I should be able to get a nice one on the house.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Why would you be concerned about their future? I REALLY doubt they are going to disappear. Your points will go with the credit card co. anyway. I use my points towards things I use all the time such as bullets, powder, primers maybe a pair of shoes or boots.

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Not trying to stir the pot but have heard several rumors about them being bought out by bass pro or another company. Now normally I don't give much thought to Internet rumors but when I was on the phone with them placing an order all the guy would say was no comment because I asked him to dispel the rumor. It was odd too bc the guy was friendly but when I asked his demeanor changed. He told me could provide me with a diff 800 number and I could ask them the question, if they were getting bought out but he say they would tell me the same thing "no comment". So anyway long story short really not willing to risk my points so I'm gonna spend em on a new toy.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just bought a 71 Deluxe in .450 Alaskan built by Tom Burgess for a song..a few months ago scored an unfired 1962 .338 well under the going rate...have been buying their NIB Ruger #1s which they're selling at a very fair price....

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Morning all,
As a former gun library manager, from 07-12, I am sure that the guys do their best. Most of y'all have it figured out that there are limited areas of expertise.
The corporate masters have determined that used guns require little expertise and just a formula. They are wrong and we are seeing the results.
Do your own research and buy the bargains, they are there, but do not rely on the expertise of the outfitter answering the phone, unless you have vetted and qualified them.
If at all possible, get the rifle delivered to the nearest store and inspect it yourself. In the past, you could do that for $25.
Good luck boys,

Hal Skaggs

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cube is right....$25 for a long gun, slightly more for a pistol to your local store. Small investment to make sure it meets with your approval. I have also negotiated the price at the receiving end as well getting it lowered somewhat.

Last edited by Wacenturion; 12/13/15.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by lima1seven
Not trying to stir the pot but have heard several rumors about them being bought out by bass pro or another company. Now normally I don't give much thought to Internet rumors but when I was on the phone with them placing an order all the guy would say was no comment because I asked him to dispel the rumor. It was odd too bc the guy was friendly but when I asked his demeanor changed. He told me could provide me with a diff 800 number and I could ask them the question, if they were getting bought out but he say they would tell me the same thing "no comment". So anyway long story short really not willing to risk my points so I'm gonna spend em on a new toy.

I hope you have heard wrong. I love everything about cabelas in their clothing line. I usually rack up about 500.00 per year on card points and buy hunting clothes for me and my son. We have a bass pro 20 min from here and a Cabala 2.5 hrs. I shop at cabelas and love going there. Never bought a gun from them but nice to know about gun transfer. Ricky

Last edited by rickyb; 12/13/15.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,773
Posts18,515,633
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.