Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well I just bought a Model 700 Remington SPS in .243.

I have been wanting one (a .243) and originally wanted a Winchester but this deal just fell into my lap.

I have to say that I am impressed with the rifle. But what is up with the darn trigger adjustment screw on the trigger of the X Mark being in the way of operation?

Can it be removed safely? Are there any fixes that get it out of the way?

It did not bother me until I started really handling the gun but it seems that it must stay for the safe operation of the weapon.

Perhaps I just need a new trigger but the darn thing breaks "real" nice and I like it.

Thanks in advance for the education.........

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can get a lighter spring from Ernie the Gunsmith online that allows you to retain a lighter pull (2.5lbs or so) while seating the trigger-face adjustment screw deeper so that it's making minimal contact with your trigger finger.

Costs you about $13 shipped.

Now with even more aplomb
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've seen a few that the screw was ground smooth after the trigger was adjusted. I'd ditch the trigger and install an old style or aftermarket. The trigger is prone to crack also.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I have removed them without ill effect. But then went to earnie the gunsmith spring and put the trigger screw back in per his recommendation. Info can be found on his site

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by elkhunter130
Well I just bought a Model 700 Remington SPS in .243.

I have been wanting one (a .243) and originally wanted a Winchester but this deal just fell into my lap.

I have to say that I am impressed with the rifle. But what is up with the darn trigger adjustment screw on the trigger of the X Mark being in the way of operation?

Can it be removed safely?
Don't worry about the screw. Remove and toss the trigger then replace it with something (read: anything) else..

You'll be a much happier owner..

FWIW...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
^^^^^^^^

This.

My first thought when I saw the thread title.

Just remove the screw with the rest of the trigger and put it in the round file.

The triggers have a nasty habit of breaking in half right at that screw with little or no urging. Not to mention after being properly adjusted they are still a piece of schitt.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 805
I've seen a few that the screw was ground smooth after the trigger was adjusted. I'd ditch the trigger and install an old style or aftermarket. The trigger is prone to crack also.

This

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well OK then...

How easy is it to install a Timney trigger? Should a gunsmith do it or can I handle it with simple hand tools?

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Easy peasy, if you can change a light bulb.........

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
IC B3

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Took me about ten minutes the first time I did it. Very easy and a much better trigger experience.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I got the spring from Ernie and adjusted as per his instruction. I also ran a bead of jb weld down the grooves on the back side of the trigger just to make sure it was a bit stronger. The trigger works perfectly and is set at just below three pounds.

A Timney would be a good option, if you really don't want to mess with the x mark.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Love the xmark...I removed the screw on several and got a trigger of 3.5 lbs roughly on each. I turned the other trigger weight screw 1 full turn and got a SAFE pull of 2.5lbs exactly on all of mine. I then superglued the screw head to prevent future movement.

I dont understand that hate on the xmark...I loved the Walker but honestly i think the new trigger is better. Mine have all been crisp as glass and easily adjusted safely below 3 lbs. Truth be told i have two Rems i purchased without triggers wearing Timmneys and I don't think they are any better...YMMV

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I am a fan of the Timney. However, the X-marks that I have used worked well. Installing an aftermarket trigger on a 700 is easy and only takes a few minutes.

I will hunt everywhere before I die!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by CoolHandHodge

I dont understand that hate on the xmark...

Shoot a couple thousand rounds with one and get back to us on that...... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I've shot thousands across several...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There is nothing wrong with that trigger as far as function. The problem, as I see it, is in the adjustment. It is easy to get the sear to light etc. There have also been some of the triggers that broke. Mine seems strong, but I added a bit to it to be sure. AS far as how the trigger feels, I think it is pretty good for a factory trigger and it is safe.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Ive done some reading into the distain for them in the last 48 hours and best I can tell is that some people are having issues with pull weight inconsistency. IE let off at 2.5 then 3.1 then 2.0 etc. Ive got three currently don't have this issue but that is definitely a small sample size. Ive removed the exterior screw on all and have adjusted the second pull weight screw as well.

The Timmneys are certainly good triggers as a replacement...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Then you need to call the Guiness brothers and get your name in their book!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
Then you need to call the Guiness brothers and get your name in their book!

Jackie Treehorn: Treats objects like women.

Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Montana uses Ruger actions.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 49 invisible), 2,264 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,510
Posts18,490,768
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.