Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Why not just beef-up the standard Mil-Dot a little, put it in the 6x with the same exposed .1 MIL elevation turret, and cap the windage? Then you'd have a bold reticle with at least some rough windage/drop reference, and a turret to match.... without reinventing any wheels.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Will add close to dark my MQ reticle becomes standard duplex with my eyes. I can still make hits but "I" can't make use of the subtensions any longer.

Ditto.

Should add this is no real handicap, as you still have the turrets. Besides I sometime question the wisdom of real long range shots at th edge of darkness anyway.

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/09/15.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
-Capped windage
-Lower profile elevation (like on the SS1-4x24?)
-Fixed focus/parallax
-make the mq reticle just a little easier to see
-make the sunshade about a foot shorter

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
the solution to the mil quad MOA reticle being thick enough is make the reticle SFP and put it in the 3-15 model. It would be similar to the nxs MOAR reticle which is great in that power range. trying to put it in a 6x scope is a no go, heck IMO a 10x isn't that great of idea. Its gets pretty tuff to see 1 moa on a target when you have less than 1x. being the reticle would be SFP it would grow at low powers retaining its visibility.

I don't get the fixed power fixation. Other than durability what do you gain with fixed power? Since the super chicken line offers durability and reliable adjustments, or so they say. why not keep the strengths of the scope. duplex and capped turrets on a fixed power scope is no better than just buying a leupold.

some simple wind hold offs and capped windage turrets should satisfy most of the hunting crowd. and adding a zero stop or a way to put one on the scope would seal the deal.

Make a 6x and a 3x15x42 capped windage, lower profile elevation turret with ZS!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They already make a hunting scope, the 3-9mq.

It could be improved with a low-profile, capped windage turret and a zero stop.

For the night shooters,illumination could be added as well

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Gentlemen,
Don't mean to sound like a wise guy but the 3 x 18 x 44 VX6 Windplex Illuminated on my 280 Ackley sounds like it may fit the bill.
Low Pro elevation MOA dial, zero stop, one turn (20 MOA), great glass, dependable, with MOA hash marks on the horizontal wire.
Works well.

Dave

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Won't work. It is in MOA.

Stu

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Capped windage.

Lower profile elevation.

Some type of "wind plex" reticle.

Fixed 6x42.

Skip the AO if possible.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by RaceTire
Gentlemen,
Don't mean to sound like a wise guy but the 3 x 18 x 44 VX6 Windplex Illuminated on my 280 Ackley sounds like it may fit the bill.
Low Pro elevation MOA dial, zero stop, one turn (20 MOA), great glass, dependable, with MOA hash marks on the horizontal wire.
Works well.

Dave

I'm sure you have a nice scope. Are you suggesting swfa use those features in the scope being discussed?

RDFinn Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RHutch
Won't work. It is in MOA.

Stu

What won't work ?

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Wow lots of different ideas here, but it seems like there is a common theme with lower profile capped turrets. I spoke with Chris this morning and he said he would do a special run for the Campfire of fixed 6X scopes if we like. One idea was a thick duplex reticle with capped moa turrets. Your thoughts on this ? Designing a new reticle or modifications to a heavy/thicker duplex reticle with hold offs costs money and time and judging by all the responses here, I doubt we could get enough people to agree on one design anyway. So, as they say, penny for your thoughts.

SWFA SS 6 X with capped MOA turrets and a thicker style duplex ?

A limited run is an awesome idea but Not this, it's the robust elevation dial that makes the brand...

On the cheap, 6x42 Mil/Mil FFP AO. Mil Quad with .1? Mil lines, low profile windage. Stick with the proven Japanese optics manufacturing professionals.

The Mil quad is such a great reticle. They've already made different thicknesses, .06, .07 right? So just beef it up to .1 and downsize and/or cap the windage dial. Maybe the center section could be narrower too but I don't have the experience to know. A lower elevation dial like the one on the 1-4 would be aok too but not necessary. Nor is zero stop, if they left it alone we can mod it as is. MOA is of zero interest after trying Mil/Mil...

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would buy a 6x with capped windage. Mil Mil or Moa Moa.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
RDFinn Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Wow lots of different ideas here, but it seems like there is a common theme with lower profile capped turrets. I spoke with Chris this morning and he said he would do a special run for the Campfire of fixed 6X scopes if we like. One idea was a thick duplex reticle with capped moa turrets. Your thoughts on this ? Designing a new reticle or modifications to a heavy/thicker duplex reticle with hold offs costs money and time and judging by all the responses here, I doubt we could get enough people to agree on one design anyway. So, as they say, penny for your thoughts.

A limited run is an awesome idea but Not this, it's the robust elevation dial that makes the brand...

On the cheap, 6x42 Mil/Mil FFP AO. Mil Quad with .1? Mil lines, low profile windage. Stick with the proven Japanese optics manufacturing professionals.

The Mil quad is such a great reticle. They've already made different thicknesses, .06, .07 right? So just beef it up to .1 and downsize and/or cap the windage dial. Maybe the center section could be narrower too but I don't have the experience to know. A lower elevation dial like the one on the 1-4 would be aok too but not necessary. Nor is zero stop, if they left it alone we can mod it as is. MOA is of zero interest after trying Mil/Mil...

All the reticles you see in the SS line were NOT designed by the Japanese "professionals". They were designed by SWFA with input from several different sources, one who still posts here and another that used to post here but no longer does.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 4ager
Put the illumination in their 6x42 MQ.

Done.

This.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

All the reticles you see in the SS line were NOT designed by the Japanese "professionals". They were designed by SWFA with input from several different sources, one who still posts here and another that used to post here but no longer does.

Uhh no. My post had nothing to do with reticle designers. Stick with Japan manufacturing - same as the current 6x42...

SIMPLY MAKE THIS: On the cheap, 6x42 Mil/Mil FFP AO. Mil Quad with .1? Mil lines, low profile windage. edit AND Stick with the proven Japanese optics manufacturing professionals.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I disagree - it's the overall ruggedness and reliability of SWFA's scopes that make the brand.

My suggestions would be to a) make available the 6x and the 3-9 (and possibly one or two other models) with b) a simple duplex reticle (the closer to the Zeiss #22, the better) and c) low-profile capped windage AND elevation knobs.

With a duplex reticle, in the case of the 3-9 or other variables, the scopes could be made SFP in order to better appeal to the average American hunter - not just to 24HC rifle loonies.

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Outside the 'fire and araig, no one I've talked to has ever heard of SWFA or their scopes.

They need to keep on keeping on and not get bogged down with a million different models. The 6x MQ is very near perfection for a do-it-all scope.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by JPro
Yep on the 6x42. Just go with a bit bolder duplex design, perhaps even offering some windage marks in mils or moa. Leave the top turret exposed and of the same units as the turret. Would allow for a bit better view of the aiming point in lower light against a dark background. Would only require a reticle tweak, so not much $$ there for development.

Bingo!

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
A lot of interesting suggestions here.

I'd buy several of:

Fixed 6
Capped Windage
1-4 classic style elevation, capped or as is (in that order)
Duplex or heavier MQ as suggested (in that order)

I think the 3-9 is also a good candidate set up like the above.

And while you're at it I'll take a couple 1-4 classics, capped with a #4 for the thumpers!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I don't know why a capped elevation keeps being mentioned? Seems pretty clear most would like to see capped windage and maybe a little thicker/bolder reticle. Several other features could be nice but gets too personalized.

Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (35, 41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 10 invisible), 1,506 guests, and 880 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,312
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.