Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by seal_billy
...I feel it's an infringement of freedom...

Mr Johnny Law won't do $hit to catch the pill heads and meth makers...

So you're saying you want your own freedom to do as you please, but you don't want freedom for others?

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
So, refusing to buckle up is your big macho way of being a rebel?

Wow. We're impressed.

It looks like the point went right over your head.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Would rather wear the belt and turn off the airbag if it was up to me.

Last edited by Mike_S; 12/10/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Personally I have used them since the first new car I had in 1966 had them. Twice I have been in situations where they proved their worth. Here in Ontario we have universal health care so if you don't wear them and get badly injured then I have to help pay for your treatment.

I worked in traffic engineering for over 30 years and during that time read thousands of collision reports. I couldn't count the number of times belts saved people from terrible injuries. Back about 1967 I remember one in town collision where a new car got t-boned at an intersection (relatively low speed) and the driver got ejected from his car and then run over and killed by it. The seat belt he wasn't wearing would have saved him from being ejected.

With regard to helmets a surgeon at our club says they often result in having a living head and a body that isn't worth much. From his experience in trying to patch motorcyclists together his feelings run to the banning of motorcycles.

Just some different perspectives to think about.

Jim

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Not sure how my medical expenses or injuries suffered in an MVA burdens society. I have medical insurance that I pay through the as.s for and since there is no universal healthcare I am solely responsible for my medical costs.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Pal

LONG RESPONSE. I don't gave a crap if pill heads eat so many pills they take the big sleep, I don't care if the meth heads smoke all the meth their little hearts desire till their teeth rot from their mouths and they look 150 years old. I do care however about them breaking into my vehicles and home.

SHORT RESPONSE. Exactly

Last edited by seal_billy; 12/10/15.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I wore them before the law required. But I think it should be your choice.
Not wearing might save the govt money in that less people make it to social security with draw age.

NRA Patron
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I think it is intelligent to wear a seat belt...

at the same time, I don't think it is my place or the damned government's right to dictate that to the public...

but it is quite obvious, it isn't about public safety, its strictly about revenue generation...

years ago, I got pulled over by one of our few local motorcycle cops....who has a rep for writing more seat belt and stupid type tickets than the rest of the entire dept..

he wrote me up for not wearing a seat belt.. when I pulled over I took it off to reach in my pocket to get my wallet out for my D/L....

My neck has a range of motion defect.. I only have about 60% of what most normal folks have... at times I have to remove my seat belt to be able to turn enough to see around things or make turns to make sure the traffic is clear to do so, as I have to move my entire upper torso, since my neck won't turn that far...

evidently cop saw me do that, so he followed me with his lights on his motorcycle going... and made the claim I never put my seat belt on and he'd never seen me with it on at all...

I took the ticket and showed up to court with it....

told the judge of why I took it off in the first place and then put it right back on after making the maneuver I needed to... and then took it off to get my D/L out for the officer when he stopped me...

Cop claimed other wise...

I prevailed... and when I left the court with the cop leaving the court room at the same time... I gave him a Travis "have a nice day" good bye... ( GFY)...

its not safety, its revenue generation..

and there is guys like Officer Buckingham here in Grants Pass, that write stupid tickets all day long so he looks good on his periodical performance reviews...

but don't judge ALL LEOs based on meeting one AHOle...

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I surely don't seafire, I know a few personally. A couple are great guys and are honestly doing what they can to make the place a safer place and pick their battles with the public. The other is a usless pos who one day will probably be shot between the eyes and nobody will care including me.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I consider that the decision should be an individual one.

However, I also think it is a form of IQ test. Having driven before common usage I learned that hitting a big bump would cause my head to get slammed into the roof and that hard changes of direction could cause me to slide from behind the steering wheel. I have also responded to hundreds of auto accidents and observed that wearing a belt/ harness resulted in fewer and less serious injuries.

Ergo, I always wear mine because I am too smart not to wear it.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That seatbelt keeps you seated right where you are supposed to be. If your ass is in the backseat, it is hard for you to be in control of your vehicle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by deflave
Infringement of freedom. Undeniable.

Same for helmets.

Same for open container laws.

Travis

Exactamundo.
yup...f-u and all your moneymaking schem s

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ford8n
That seatbelt keeps you seated right where you are supposed to be. If your ass is in the backseat, it is hard for you to be in control of your vehicle.

Most of the seat-belt perps in these parts......are apprehended in 25MPH speed zones.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It's an excuse to probe further into ones life. Like whether you have a gun or not. It can escalate from there.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
If seat belts were optional I'd wear one and continue to require my children to wear them

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

You couldn't reach the pedals or steering wheel anyway.......

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
picture being T-boned going forty thru an intersection. Your vehicle is going to keep going, even though your on the floor of the passenger side of the vehicle. Without you steering or braking your car continues up onto the sidewalk maiming and killing 6 children on their way home from school. I don't know about you but I would have a pretty hard time living with that. All because I didn't want to wear a seatbelt.

Farming, or anything else for that matter, is easy when your plow's a keyboard and you're a 1000 miles from the field.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Hate to break it to ya Kid but if you get T-boned by some dude doing 40 you ain't in control of your vehicle.

Driving in real life is different than your video game.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by California_Kid
picture being T-boned going forty thru an intersection. Your vehicle is going to keep going, even though your on the floor of the passenger side of the vehicle. Without you steering or braking your car continues up onto the sidewalk maiming and killing 6 children on their way home from school. I don't know about you but I would have a pretty hard time living with that. All because I didn't want to wear a seatbelt.

So it should be a law?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What sort of a person actually enforces such law and writes other folks seatbelt tickets?

They must have mental issues, and never got to be hall monitor as children.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

210 members (280rem_cm, 12344mag, 35, 2UP, 44mc, 375TN, 20 invisible), 1,662 guests, and 1,032 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,485,967
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.