Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Recently took a weekend to the Boise area. Coming from the dense Inland Empire it was nice to get back to some open country. I like to be able to see. Kinda got into a pissing match w a gal. Whistle Pigs vs Rock Chuck. We saw a mounted yellow bellied Marmot. To me this is a Rock Chuck by local dialect but actually a Marmot. I assumed it was called a Whistle Pig to the locals. Not the case. Can anyone tell me what the Idahoans are calling whistle pigs?

And for that matter, Boise was way more populated than I expected. With Nampa, Caldwell, Eagle, etc....can one drive 1 hour in any direction and get into some shooting of some kind??? A predator board made it sound like there were plenty of opportunities in Boise and Gem county for rabbits. Whistle Pigs and badgers. Maybe not so much on Rock Chucks?

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
GB1

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I don't know what a whistle pig is, but I do know what a rock chuck is...which is sometimes mistakenly called a Marmot as I understand it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yellowed belly marmot

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
The marmots and woodchucks do on occasion whistle.. Hence the name.. The yellowed belley marmot and hoary marmot are western animals.. The woodchuck an eastern cousin.. I am sure they all have local names.. In my part of the west, marmots are called whistle pigs by some.. They are also called rockchucks.. That is their most common name here..

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
In the Boise area to the natives whistlepigs is the local name for the small variety of desert ground squirrels, they are also locally called gophers and/or picket pins.
Rockchucks are called - SURPRISE! - rockchucks.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never heard 'em called whistle pigs locally. Always rock chucks or occasionally, sage rats...

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
And even in the few replies there are vast discrepancies. I grew up on the east coast. And have shot woodchucks, also called ground hogs. And rock chucks out West are actually, and correctly Marmots. Both are from the Genus Marmota....not gonna argue the rock Chuck vs marmot local dialect. But I still don't think a whistle pig and rock Chuck are the same critters to the southern Idaho people.

Safe Rats, Picket Pins, Grey Diggers are all ground squirrels I believe. Max weight of approx 1 pound. Rock Chucks/yellow bellied marmots are pretty big from 5-20 pounds.

So what are the elusive Whistle Pigs???

Yes, the marmots, regardless of east coast vs west coast all scream or whistle....hence my argument with the gal.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Whistle pigs are referred to as groundhogs back in PA.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
I
I
Having lived all over Idaho I have always heard Rock chuck, marmot and whistle pig used interchangeably in reference to the Yellow-bellied Marmot.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Rock chucks are Marmots and "whistle pigs" are ground squirrels. I also call them squeaks.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by drover
In the Boise area to the natives whistlepigs is the local name for the small variety of desert ground squirrels, they are also locally called gophers and/or picket pins.

drover

I live is SW Idaho, and this is correct.

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have never heard "whistlepigs" on the east side of the state....maybe it's due to all the transplants on the west side?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by drover

drover

^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^

Whistle pigs are a desert variety of ground squirrel. Rock Chucks are 10 times bigger and much different looking.

Last edited by T_Inman; 12/10/15.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
But they are all fun to shoot......

Regards,

Tom
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've shot some furry fatties in the dark that kinda whistled and grunted now and then.......
but I'm usually trespassing, so I'm gone long before daylight.
These days I'm normally packin' a single shot.

P.S. It's a big bore.

Have Dog

Will Travel

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Em brought this cool old "animal" book home from the thrift shop last night, she thought the kids would like it..... she was right, I do. Was flipping through it, and ran across this....

From "Natures Ways: How Nature takes Care of its Own"; 7th Printing, 1969.....

[Linked Image]

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I lived in Boise in the 80's and rock chucks were known as "whistle pigs". Left for a few years, moved back to south west Idaho in 2004 and everybody was calling ground squirrels "whistle pigs". Looked at me like I was some kind of weirdo when I called a rock chuck a "whistle pig".

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Yes, for some reason people in the Treasure Valley seem to call ground squirrels whistle pigs, but telling them otherwise will surely get you into an argument.

"The first shot, is worth all the rest"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I become president all of the cutsey names like Whistle Pig, Sage Rat, Yote, Song Dog, Yodel Dog, Speed Goat (especially Speed Goat) will all be banned......no exceptions.....

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
But Field Grade, those nicknames are all so cool, especially when you turn your ball cap backwards and say them while holding your hand up to the sun so it doesn't hurt your eyes! Lol. You crabby old fart!

Happy Friday Charlie!

Last edited by Akbob5; 12/11/15.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

135 members (1_deuce, 673, 2500HD, 300_savage, 22 invisible), 1,736 guests, and 1,030 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,626
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.