-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This thread is an excellent resource that needs to be made a sticky.

Thank you, Brad, for your work to create this presentation. And your photos are excellent. Merry Christmas.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Really neat looking job Brad. Looks way better than most of mine have turned out. One question. Do you check that the pillars are at the correct height so as not to induce stress into the action before going "farmer tight" on the screws?

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Tagged. Thanks for the write-up and photos Brad. I'm gearing up to bed my first action, a M70 Classic into a McMillan. Your post goes a long way in helping me visualize a few steps.

-JW
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Excellent post Brad. Have done a few myself with the only significant differences being that I stop at the lug, floating the shank one wrap of masking tape, use a set of bedding studs rather than OEM fasteners, and get a tad lazy on the stock masking too, using WD-40 on some Q-Tips to spin/slide the fresh, extruded AcraGlas gel off. Running a fresh Q-tip with WD-40 around the stock/action makes a nice, clean fillet. After curing, a soapy sponge removes the WD-40 off the stock's surface after popping the action loose.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Pretty sweet write up, just wish it would have come 2 days sooner or I would have done mine a day later. Did two on Saturday similar to SAS's upgrade, I'm sure they'll shoot similar to the 5 I've already done similar but I'd like to try something different. Excellent thread, thanks and appreciate the pics.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Runny Acra glass is all we used to have. The gel came much later. The runny stuff is supposed to be harder, and is often used as an adhesive, where being thin is an advantage. I have never tried the gel so can not compare, but did one stock with the gel type stuff from midway. I thought it was way soft.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I pulled it last night and surprisingly it looked really good. In fact it is perfect except I got more in the barrel channel than I care for but will likely shoot it as it. A Dremel tool will fix the issue if it needs fixed. I'm still not using the runny variety ever again.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Brad,one more question please. After bedding there is a very thin layer of compound on top of the pillars,I'm guessing you just leave it there?

The regular original Accraglass is perfect for gluing up hidden tang knives. It's thinness allows it to perfectly conform to an antler handle and it's shrinkage is less that other epoxies.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 12/13/15.
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dave284
Really neat looking job Brad. Looks way better than most of mine have turned out. One question. Do you check that the pillars are at the correct height so as not to induce stress into the action before going "farmer tight" on the screws?

Dave.

Dave, that's a good question, and frankly I'm not really sure how to answer it.

I suppose the way to say it is, with the action screws mating the action to the pillars, I've never had a Montana not have enough room all around it to allow an thin layer of epoxy while still bearing on and exposing the pillars. If there were a problem spot higher than either of the pillars, it wouldn't allow the bedding material.

... makes me wonder if in fact the Kimber slave action is not slightly oversized?

I will say, I once had a Rem Model 7 who's stock was so badly formed the bolt wouldn't run in the raceways without binding. Only when the action screws were completely lose would the bolt run free. Talk about "stressed"... That one went back to Remington!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Brad,one more question please. After bedding there is a very thin layer of compound on top of the pillars,I'm guessing you just leave it there?

I do... the top of the pillars are scuffed up enough it's not going anywhere. And really, 45 inch-lbs for the front, and 35 for the rear are really not that much. I don't worry about it, and have never found it a problem.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Bill, I'm glad it worked out!

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
To all, thanks for the kind words!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brad

Once you get done with all of your set up steps, do you find your rifles hold zero better than an out of the box set up?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well done.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 12/14/15.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
tag for later

T
T
Great post. Thank you!

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Brad - awesome post! Thank you

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Brad, good post. Still kicking myself for selling that 30-06 I bought from you. frown

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Brad,

This is impressive. I usually don't realize I bedded a rifle until I wake up and find it in the gun vise.

Props.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Flave, same thing here. I always seem to bed them after work, go to sleep and then wake up at 2 or 4AM and pop them out of the stock.

Brad, your bedding job reminds me of a finish carpenter type work. Mine are more along the lines of corral type 'carpentry' work!

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 79 invisible), 2,667 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,593
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.