Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I have booked my deer hunt for next year. My guide said that some of the areas we will hunt will be for shotguns only. Never hunted deer with one so I will be shopping for one. Any recommendations ? What would you consider the best/most accurate for deer hunting?Prefer a semi automatic only

Best scope?

Anyone have one they would possibly consider selling that would fall into this category ?

Thanks for looking...

GB1

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you are looking for semi's then Rem 1187 (12 and 20ga) come to mind as well as Mossberg 930 slugger.

I picked up a 930 last year and my dad eventually bought it from me and got it dialed in quickly with Hornady SSTs - and I even used it on my IL buck this year.

Over the years of hunting in the mid-west I have a long love/hate relationship with slug guns. They are usually finicky till you find the right ammo they like and finding that can come quickly or it can be an expensive ($3/shot) and recoil intensive process.

If choosing between the Rem and Moss - see which fits you better and which safety location you like better and then fire away.

On another note, almost all slug gun areas I know of also allow muzzleloaders as well. If you are going to be in a blind or sitting a stand that over looks more than 50 yards, I would really encourage you to go that route if possible.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Can't tell you the best, but Dad, Lil Bro, and I have sure managed to stack them up with our 1187s.

I can tell you one thing for sure, you may go through a pile of different slugs before you find the one that shoots decent. My shoulder was about to tap out before I settled on a load for my Hastings bbled 1187. I ended up having the best luck with 2-3/4" Winchester 385grn Partition Golds. Dad and Lil Bro both went with Rem bbls and had good luck with the Rem AccuTip ammo.

Another note is don't shy away from the 20ga offerings. They perform just as well as the 12s IME. Lil Bro's rig is a 20ga 1187 shooting the 3" Rem ATs. If I were to buy another slug gun, it would be a 20ga.

Good Luck,

loder

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
In some places (like the town I live in), you can use a muzzle loader or pistol in these "shotgun" areas. Personally, I'd choose a modern, inline muzzle loader over a shotgun if possible. Likely better range and accuracy. The handicap, of course, is the slow follow up shot.

Best of luck,
Rob

D
Online Content
D
SAVAGE 220

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by dquick
SAVAGE 220

+1

Not a semi-automatic. But, very accurate and more comfortable to shoot.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
In my humble opinion, there are many better options for slug guns that an 1100 or 1187. Go to a gun shop and fondle a Browning, Beretta, Benelli, or Winchester. I would look to cantilevered rifled barrels with slug gun scopes. 150 yards is easily doable and 200 yards is not out of the question. Savage makes a bolt action slug gun (212 or 220) that by all accounts is a real tack driver. Slug guns have came a long way since the old Foster style slugs that only shot 50 yards accurately. 50 yards now is a layup.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have the Savage 220f. It is darn accurate with Remington Accu-tips

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm not sure if you have a budget, but if you're looking for a the finest semi-auto available, check out the Benelli M2.

You won't find a finer semi-auto.

If you're looking bolt, look towards the Savage 220 and the Browning Abolt.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
Can't tell you the best, but Dad, Lil Bro, and I have sure managed to stack them up with our 1187s.

I can tell you one thing for sure, you may go through a pile of different slugs before you find the one that shoots decent. My shoulder was about to tap out before I settled on a load for my Hastings bbled 1187. I ended up having the best luck with 2-3/4" Winchester 385grn Partition Golds. Dad and Lil Bro both went with Rem bbls and had good luck with the Rem AccuTip ammo.

Another note is don't shy away from the 20ga offerings. They perform just as well as the 12s IME. Lil Bro's rig is a 20ga 1187 shooting the 3" Rem ATs. If I were to buy another slug gun, it would be a 20ga.

Good Luck,

loder

This is my experience as well. I have an 1100 with a cantilevered, rifled barrel. It shoots a number of 2-3/4 loads into 4" at 100. Rem accutip go into 3". I went this route since all I had to buy was a barrel to put on my existing gun, and it turned out well. Also, my buddy got an 870 in 20ga for his wife. It actually shoots better, and hammers deer. Another buddy went 20 ga after seeing how well it performed, both in terminal performance, recoil and flatness. I would go 20 ga if starting over.

As mentioned above, most slug areas allow muzzleloaders. This may be a good way to go, but follow ups...well you know that part.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have one of the ABolt 12a rifled slug guns. It shoots slugs as well as any gun on the market. They are Cadillacs. If you want to spend the money they are worth it in my opinion. If you are on a budget I would look at the Savage 220 and spend the money you saved on some good optics.

“Lighten up Francis”
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I don't hunt in a shotgun only area, but if I did, I'd own a Savage 220.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The H&R Ultra Slug Hunter is very accurate. I had great success with a 20 ga before our county converted to allow rifles

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by micky
I have one of the ABolt 12a rifled slug guns. It shoots slugs as well as any gun on the market. They are Cadillacs. If you want to spend the money they are worth it in my opinion. If you are on a budget I would look at the Savage 220 and spend the money you saved on some good optics.

Yep this
I use an A Bolt but have set up Savage 220's for friends
The Browning is better quality but much more money also 12 ga vs 20 ga
Browning missed the boat when they re-introduced the Abolt and didn't come out with a 20 ga version

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Savage 220 for a dedicated slug gun. 1187 with cantilevered barrel if you ever need it for other shotgun chores.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Originally Posted by micky

Yep this
I use an A Bolt but have set up Savage 220's for friends
The Browning is better quality but much more money also 12 ga vs 20 ga
Browning missed the boat when they re-introduced the Abolt and didn't come out with a 20 ga version

Dan, have the Savages been fairly consistent as far as which slugs they prefer, or is it a spin of the wheel and experimenting with several different brands before finding what they like best?

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The savage 220 is the most accurate slug gun I have been around. The plastic magazine is a bummer though.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
We can't use riffles here, so we have to use a slug or a muzzle loader. For years I used a Rem. 1100 with a Hastings barrel and open sights. I tried a lot of different ammo and landed on Breneke Gold Magnums 3". I've killed a lot of deer out to 100 yards with no problem. It's very accurate. Now they've upgraded those and are now called Breneke Magnum Crush 3". The 1100 shots them smooth as silk. It seems to take care of the recoil.

One of my employees will swear by the Lightfield Sabot. I ran those through the 1100 years ago and it was all over the place. Slugs can be finicky and some work better than others in different guns.

About 10 years ago, I got a slug barrel for my Encore. It kicks like a mule but 150 yard shots are good with little drop. Make sure you get a SLUG scope with at least 5" of eye relief. Not knowing any better, I originally put a regular riffle scope on it and now have a permanent scar between my eyes. Now I have a Nikon Slug Hunter 3-9x40 with a BDC reticle with a 5" ER. With this ammo, the BDC doesn't really come into play because you will sight in at 100 yards.

I got this 8 pt. last week at 100 yards.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Angus1895
The savage 220 is the most accurate slug gun I have been around. The plastic magazine is a bummer though.
Correct

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
We can't use riffles here, so we have to use a slug or a muzzle loader. For years I used a Rem. 1100 with a Hastings barrel and open sights. I tried a lot of different ammo and landed on Breneke Gold Magnums 3". I've killed a lot of deer out to 100 yards with no problem. It's very accurate. Now they've upgraded those and are now called Breneke Magnum Crush 3". The 1100 shots them smooth as silk. It seems to take care of the recoil.

One of my employees will swear by the Lightfield Sabot. I ran those through the 1100 years ago and it was all over the place. Slugs can be finicky and some work better than others in different guns.

About 10 years ago, I got a slug barrel for my Encore. It kicks like a mule but 150 yard shots are good with little drop. Make sure you get a SLUG scope with at least 5" of eye relief. Not knowing any better, I originally put a regular riffle scope on it and now have a permanent scar between my eyes. Now I have a Nikon Slug Hunter 3-9x40 with a BDC reticle with a 5" ER. With this ammo, the BDC doesn't really come into play because you will sight in at 100 yards.

I got this 8 pt. last week at 100 yards.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Those leave much at the line,to heavy and slow they dorp off like a rock after 125 yds
I used to shoot Brenneke out of my Marlin 512 Slug gun

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (219 Wasp, 257man, 219DW, 10ring1, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 43 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,219
Posts18,524,559
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.