Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I just called Remington to verify a recall on the Walker groups if any...they were very clear...NO RECALL.

There is/was a class action lawsuit however and I think this may be where the confusion may be coming from. Remington is in involved in a class action suit in regards to pre-2006 Walker Fire Control Groups (Pre Xmark triggers). As part of an out of court settlement they will replace Walker triggers with Xmarks but its voluntary and they are admitting no fault with the Walker trigger.

Xmark Pro triggers have been recalled due to an abundance of "bonding agent" used in the manufacture of the trigger which can potential cause an un-intended discharge...again according to Remington.

HR IC

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Looks like the 'confusion' can be attributed to legalese and semantics...

When Remington is sued and offers to retrofit or replace a few million triggers, they don't officially call it a 'recall' ......trying to maintain plausible deniability.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Had a M700 .308 Win with a Walker trigger, purchased used, and sent it in for the fix. It was extremely accurate abut very hard on brass. I sold it.

How was it hard on brass?

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I really like the Walker triggers and based on the stories I've been hearing lately on the Xmarks, the Walker is still the better unit. I wont be sending mine in thats for sure.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Installed Timneys on all my 700s - even before the recall.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
From the article you linked: While insisting its action is not a recall of the iconic gun, Remington says in a statement that it is agreeing to make the changes "to avoid the uncertainties and expense of protracted litigation."

So if you asked Remington, it appears the answer would be no, they're not recalling them.
A lot like a bank I spoke with once who insisted they had "free" checking, because there were no service charges. Just monthly "maintenance" fees. Remington can color it however they want, but it's still a recall.

Jackie Treehorn: Treats objects like women.

Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Montana uses Ruger actions.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
According to you...not according to Remington...but perhaps Thinkin ain't your thing

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CoolHandHodge
According to you...not according to Remington...but perhaps Thinkin ain't your thing
Don't worry, no one will tell fairy tales like you: http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10761938/CoolHandHodge#Post10761938

Jackie Treehorn: Treats objects like women.

Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Montana uses Ruger actions.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
My comment was made in jest Jackie as I assumed your original post was...though you were in fact wrong. Sorry if me quoting your response to me offended you. Everything I said in the xmarp post was true btw not sure what you think was so horrible. I've had good service from Rem triggers...is this a problem for you?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I installed a Timney.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

How long does the recall take? I have a 700 that is in the recall list. I can drive 1.5 hours to the closest Remington dealer who may or may not do it right then, or send my rifle into Remington, not a fan of that.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I had three xmarks changed...took about three weeks each.

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It seems likely that the judge is going to reject the settlement agreement in the Pollard case.

As importantly, the records placed under protective order from hundreds or thousands of suits against Remington are FINALLY able to be released.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/12/08/remington-under-fire-the-reckoning.html

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Owned lots of 700's, a couple 600's and never had a problem with mine, but did witness a repeatable problem with a 700 at the range. Read "Unsafe by Design" by Jack Belk. Terry

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Sent Remington 700 to the Paducah Ky repair center. It was checked and back within a week. Great service.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Jack Belk, the expert witness against Remingtons Walker trigger, says the X Mark Pro is no safer because it wears out prematurely.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Can you just send in the trigger or do you have to send in the entire rifle? I have two under recall. One is an Xmark and one an Xmark Pro Haven't had any problems with either.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I want to strongly encourage everyone who has a rifle that is in their recall group to get it done. This is a true story that happened to me:

We had just returned from a NM elk hunt and were getting our rifles ready for upcoming deer season. Hope has a Rem-700 in 7-08AI that she had used to take a nice bull about 10 days earlier. As she was sighting that rifle in, it FIRED when she was taking the safety off. Scared the crap out of her and pissed us both off. Fortunately she was already sighting in down range (and it was at our farm, so no others were around).

I knew about the recall, but thought since I'd had no issues that it probably was ok.

I ended up taking the stock off of her rifle (custom/short LOP) and putting it on another Rem 700 in 308 for her to hunt with.

I have since bought two new Timney triggers and both Rem 700s are now at Gre-Tan Rifles getting these installed and the firing pin bushing job.

I was wrong, fortunately not dead wrong in believing it would be fine. Hope had taken the safety on and off in several cases while she and her guide were working her bull. Understandably, she was pretty shook up.

Please learn from this experience.

Greg Bradley
"bludog"

edited to add:
ps - I am done with Remington 700s for good.

Last edited by bludog; 12/13/15.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn't give up on 700's. You install a Timney on one and you have one heck of a fine rifle. What's there to worry about then? Bolt handle breakage?

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by bludog
I want to strongly encourage everyone who has a rifle that is in their recall group to get it done. This is a true story that happened to me:

We had just returned from a NM elk hunt and were getting our rifles ready for upcoming deer season. Hope has a Rem-700 in 7-08AI that she had used to take a nice bull about 10 days earlier. As she was sighting that rifle in, it FIRED when she was taking the safety off. Scared the crap out of her and pissed us both off. Fortunately she was already sighting in down range (and it was at our farm, so no others were around).

I knew about the recall, but thought since I'd had no issues that it probably was ok.

I ended up taking the stock off of her rifle (custom/short LOP) and putting it on another Rem 700 in 308 for her to hunt with.

I have since bought two new Timney triggers and both Rem 700s are now at Gre-Tan Rifles getting these installed and the firing pin bushing job.

I was wrong, fortunately not dead wrong in believing it would be fine. Hope had taken the safety on and off in several cases while she and her guide were working her bull. Understandably, she was pretty shook up.

Please learn from this experience.

Greg Bradley
"bludog"

edited to add:
ps - I am done with Remington 700s for good.

Was this a Walker or an Xmark? Also has it had a trigger job or adjustment. Based on the caliber it looks like some smithing has been done just curious as to what. What as the pull weight?
I'm not being argumentative just honestly curious.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

280 members (2500HD, 338reddog, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2UP, 257 mag, 23 invisible), 1,890 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,634
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.