Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
While looking at a few videos on how well some scopes track it seems like Leupolds are not the only ones with a tracking problem. I have never been a turret twister, but have recently bought a few scopes for the purpose so I can learn something new.

Is there a scope that has tracked perfectly every time you have used it in the same price range? Do we have to go to a scope that cost a $1000 or $2000 more? What is out there.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Since Leupold Scopes don't work, won't track, won't hold zero, and won't return to zero, I wonder how I won the Country's most difficult Practical Rifle Match in 2014, finished Runner Up at it in 2013, had a top 10 finish in it in 2015, a top 10 PRS match finish, 2 top 20 finishes at the Sniper's Hide Cup, won many Sporting Rifle Matches at NRA's Whittington Center even matching the Course Record all, with Leupold Scopes?

Different ones at that. I must be incredibly lucky. LOL

also wonder why we see pics like this one of Phil's with a 30 year old Leupold on a hard kicker in a brutal environment.

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Since Leupold Scopes don't work, won't track, won't hold zero, and won't return to zero, I wonder how I won the Country's most difficult Practical Rifle Match in 2014, finished Runner Up at it in 2013, had a top 10 finish in it in 2015, a top 10 PRS match finish, 2 top 20 finishes at the Sniper's Hide Cup, won many Sporting Rifle Matches at NRA's Whittington Center even matching the Course Record all, with Leupold Scopes?

Damn...I didn't know Leupolds were so schitty......

I'll just wait for all of mine to go BOING...then I'll get rid of them I guess.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You saying these reports are false ? Mass Leupold conspiracy ?

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I think the varying differences we see here in experiences are due to the fact that guys who spin turrets tend to shoot a LOT more than many of us who simply hunt.

A scope that experiences thousands of rounds with constantly spun turrets is subject to more abuse than the average variable on a hunting rifle that might see a couple hundred rounds a year, if that. And the turrets are never spun other than to maintain zero.

That says it all.....

.......and this place continues to provide great entertainment. Myself, Big Al, and two two other hunting buddies all had Swaro A's (Z3) lose the erectors, therefore all Swaro A's and Z3's totally suck.

FWIW, the two bud's I referred to hunt all over the world, successfully, with Leupy's. Imagine that.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd be curious as to the percent of pukes as compared to others.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Bob and JG, as I was reading this thread I thought the same thing.

It seems like a lot of guys into LR shooting(turret spinners) are moving away from Leupold and onto SS for the simple reason that Leupold's don't track as well. At least that is what I have gathered.

Part of the reason that I haven't tried turrets for hunting is that it's pretty easy to tell the Leupold's are indeed a little squirrely when I fine tune my 400 yard dot(LR reticles). I'd never feel comfortable twisting turrets on my small sample of L scopes.

But I have never had any problem with setting and forgetting. This with 6 scopes and maybe 5k combined rounds between the rifles.
Two scopes/rifles get 'used' quite a bit bouncing on the dash during calving and one 6x36 FX-II has been in a scabbard every Fall for 8-9 years and still holds zero just fine.

But they hardly ever get adjusted which obviously makes a huge difference.

For my use I trust the L scopes.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Right on SamO. I'm a casual twister at best, and I've been very comfy with my Leupy's as well. Between myself, Big Al, and a small handful of hunting buddies, I can tell you for certain that over 2100" (11 animals) of muley bucks have been accounted for with Vari X II, VX3, and VX6's just since 2006. I've said it so many times here it's become redundant, but if I were Mackay S, Formid, or someone who makes a living twisting, I'd take their advice and get a NF, SS, or HDMR. For a pure hunting, non-twistingtheeverlovinshit out of turrets, a guy will probably never wear out a Leupold. I'm willing to separate the two, almost completely opposite practices, but many here are not.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We don't hear that much on non-turreted Leupolds failing left and right. I've only had two do that, and one was ancient. The other was a 3.5-10 I bought used and it went squirrely after maybe 20 rounds. I have seen them adjust in odd increments, such as 1/3 MOA per click, and I've seen a couple 1/4MOA clicks adjust POI much more than it should. But once they're dialed in, I've had very few issues with Leupolds that aren't spun a lot.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Right on SamO. I'm a casual twister at best, and I've been very comfy with my Leupy's as well. Between myself, Big Al, and a small handful of hunting buddies, I can tell you for certain that over 2100" (11 animals) of muley bucks have been accounted for with Vari X II, VX3, and VX6's just since 2006. I've said it so many times here it's become redundant, but if I were Mackay S, Formid, or someone who makes a living twisting, I'd take their advice and get a NF, SS, or HDMR. For a pure hunting, non-twistingtheeverlovinshit out of turrets, a guy will probably never wear out a Leupold. I'm willing to separate the two, almost completely opposite practices, but many here are not.

Well said, and my experience as well.

Except the 2100" of muley bucks smile

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
JG, I've thought about selling a couple rifles/scopes and buying a S&B or two but just haven't caught the LR bug yet.

LR steel is one thing but LR big game hunting is entirely different.

Pat uses S&B scopes in temps from what, -20F to 100F?

Mechanical functionality at temp extremes is the best way to tell good chit from junk.
I hunted mule deer last year and it was -10F, -15F when I shot a whitetail. Probably wouldn't shoot over 300-400 anyway, not exactly sure poi would differ farther out.

I'm always a little paranoid shooting rifles(and hitting targets) when it's cold, imagine twisting turrets at -20/30F would be a real test.

Do the turret twisted Leupolds break when springs are cranked all the way or does adjustment position make any difference?

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I've had no issues with any CDS dial on 2 7mags, and 3 7-08's, but have never hunted in temps that cold.....and hope I don't have to!

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

First off, stating that the Steel Safari is the "country's most difficult practical match" is probably a bit of an overstatement...

Second, how many Leupolds failed you last year back to back, right after you were told how they'd fail....?

Third, it isn't a secret by anyone not emotionally invested in an inanimate object, that actually shoots and tests lots of scopes,that Leupolds suck in tracking and zero retention. There is a reason that Army Snipers are TERRIFIED to touch their scope's turrets, yet Navy, Marine and Airforce snipers have no such reservations. Army sniper weapons systems by and large come with Leupolds. Airforce, Navy and Marines generally use Nightforce and S&B.

To say that I've shot and witnessed shot more Leupolds in a single month than you've probably ever seen would be a gross understatement..... I'm hanging around 17k rounds this year on Leupolds optics..... And that'd be closer to fiscal, than calendar.

A few of those "make believe" Leupolds that fail..... 2 out of 3 for that unit in a week.....

1st.

[Linked Image]

2nd

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It was NF, SWFA and God help me- a Vortex Razer GII that were used to finish the mission.....

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
If you don't dial- Leupolds work about as well as most better scopes. If you dial- choose scopes that have consistently proven to work.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
FWIW I have a SB PMII 4-16 that is a Premier scope. Its been back to the factory twice in 5 years for not holding zero. It has about 1500 rounds on it, most on a .308. I almost sold it this last go around, but will give it one more chance, then its gone. The last two scopes I bought were SS, the next will be the LRHS or NF, not sure yet. I do have a 4-14x50 Leup, when they were called the LR, and it has been on alot of rifles and held up well. Everything made by man breaks, just some break more than others....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
If you don't dial- Leupolds work about as well as most better scopes. If you dial- choose scopes that have consistently proven to work.

Form, been around Conquests dialed much? Just curious. Mine have been very solid. On another thread, it was said get are actually a Meopta, so any experience with those?

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JGRaider

You're basing your Leupold love on 11 mule deer over a 9 year stretch? I've been in on that many in a day, and I'll assure you that variable Leupolds lose zero and break during hunting conditions. At one point, we took 200 or so rifle hunters a season, so I got to see plenty of issues. Notwithstanding the guys who couldn't shoot their magnums, actual rifle problems were often zero retention, which was tracked to the scope. Quickest fix was to lend them a rifle.

The only Leupolds I haven't had problems with are older fixed powers (I had some issues with a recent 6x) - for instance an 8x mounted on a Ruger, which I once threw in the back seat and forgot about. It then slid between the cab and an 18" and two 10" subwoofers, where it rode around for 3 months or so while I rocked out. That scope took some tremendous vibration, and stayed zeroed....and it's stayed zeroed since the 90s, for 5000 rounds or so and many miles spent bouncing around the hills in a gun rack or loping across the prairie in a saddle scabbard. Fortunately, quite a few years ago I got over the need to fill entire vehicles with sounds systems!

Anymore, I just buy SWFAs for new rifles and save on the "When is my Leupold going to crap out" stress.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thinking about it now.....I don't know that I've seen a variable Leupold keep zero when it was subjected to the nearly every day, all year use that a ranch gun sees.

Hunting a dozen days a year out of a padded case is a lot different than being bounced around for years at a time. Only coming inside a house for the once every 5 years cleaning. Dogs using the rifle for a pillow. Falling on the scope when I slip on the ice trying to shoot a coyote. Leaf cutter bees filling the barrel with nest material (glad they filled it clear to the chamber so I couldn't chamber a round). Shooting it hot enough to smell the stock melting on 100 degree days in the prairie dog town. Fun times.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Every once in awhile leupold must make a decent scope.

I've had the same 2.5-8x36 VX3 on a 243 MT for the last 2 'winters' and it still holds zero. Which is all it needs to do.

It has survived the 10k frozen cow chit bounce test just fine....grin

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yeah SamO, I have no doubt that some of them work fine - I just don't trust them.....one of those confidence things from repeated disappointments.

Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 61 invisible), 2,175 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,086
Posts18,521,894
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.