-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I got a little beagle gyp that I'm working with. She's about 16 or 17 months old now. Her mother was one of the best rabbit dogs we ever had, but she died this year 2 weeks before the season opened. Now it's just me and Flash.
<br>
<br>She's done pretty good so far. Rabbits are had to find around here, but she's done well for an inexperienced pup. The one problem I do have with her is that she gives up on a lost trail a little too easy. I guess that's normal for a young dog though.
<br>
<br>I did have some trouble getting her to go back to the truck. After she had to run after it up the road a couple hundred feet, she decided riding was better than walking. [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>This is the first I've ever had to train, and I'm looking for tips or ideas to help both of us through the learning curve.
<br>7mm
<br>
<br>

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

GB1

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I got 3 things to tell you besides to take time out and don't jump the gun with the beagle for not doing what you want...
<br>
<br>1 get a shock collar
<br>
<br>2 try and get an older bitch that you like how she hunts
<br>
<br>3 take it as much as possible!
<br>

Truck 22,000 Dog Box 500, Shock Collars 500, Rabbit Dog 500, A Kid Shooting His First Rabbit PRICELESS!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks BH.
<br>
<br>Being temporarily layed off, we hunt most every day. No problem there, as she gets real excited at the sight of an orange jacket and a scattergun! [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Being as her mother went to that great rabbit patch in the sky, I don't have access to any other dogs. Hopefuly I'll find someone in my area.
<br>
<br>Why the shock collar? Running deer isn't a problem. My Dad has a deer we raised from a fawn, so she doesn't bother them too much. Matter of fact, she's only the second we've ever had that didn't try to run deer.
<br>7mm
<br>

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is she running the rabbits? If you think she needs a bit of help there, one thing we always did with our was to kill a rabbit (or pick up a fresh roadkill) and skin. Drag the skin around without the dog seeing and put some treats at the end of the scent trail. Then let find the treats. Doesn't take to long for them to associate the smell with treats.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I did that a few times through the summer. Actualy, I think she has the makings of a pretty good dog. I killed one she circled, and left her come to it. My friend crippled one, and Flash chased it down, so she's catching on good.
<br>
<br>As I said, The only problem is a tendancy to give up too easily when she loses a trail. I think that happens with most young dogs, and she'll learn better. Heck, when I was a kid, I'd get nervous without Dad right around. I think it's the same with a pup.
<br>
<br>One problem I had with the mother was NEVER giving up on a lost trail. I usually had to go find her. I guess there is no free lunch. [Linked Image]
<br>7mm

IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Well the shock collar is not just for the deer running, any trash running and to get the dog back at the end of the day.
<br>
<br>I think I read your profile earlier and you had that you are from eastern NC? If so about how far are you from Harnett County? That is were I stay. And I am trying to locate someone to run with some.

Truck 22,000 Dog Box 500, Shock Collars 500, Rabbit Dog 500, A Kid Shooting His First Rabbit PRICELESS!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry, BH. I'm in southcentral PA. Musta been someone else.
<br>
<br>Thanks for the tips. If you're ever up my way (Bedford, PA) drop me a line and we'll knock back a cold one. I aint a bad guy, for a yankee! [Linked Image]
<br>7mm

i've owned and raised beagles for 25 years and sold them all over the U.S. The best advise I'll give you is to feed them rabbit tracks! ON JOB TRAINING is the best thing. As for the dog quiting a track early, go to where the loss was and make her keep searching. Stand there and keep her in the area. The rabbit didnt just disappear so lot of times beagles will pick the track back up. If she doesnt pick it back up start going in a circle and make the circle larger each time. Lot of time this will work. Usually this habit is one that wont go away, it is part of that beagles personallity. Leave the electric training collar at home, it will ruin a good dog when used wrong. good luck, mike

A
A
Beaglehunter, I'm confused as to how exactly you use the shock collar to retrieve the dog at the end of the day?

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Ok the shock collar should only be used to correct bad behavior that the dog knows is wrong.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (10ring1, 1badf350, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,205 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,010
Posts18,500,198
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.