Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Recruit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hi guys: Title says it all really. I reload for 7 cartridges and while I've been keeping track of the number of times each has been fired, it's frankly a pain in the rear due to large amount of brass I have (for example, all 300 Savage brass I have is not reloaded at the same time)

How critical is it to keep track? I understand brass will generally weaken over time but I've read some saying they limit to perhaps 5 firings and then there are others that have no idea as they lost track over say 20 firings.

I suspect some of the responses will include watching for pressure signs. What visual aspects specifically are you looking for?

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I reload mostly for 300 Sav and 308W used only in Savage 99's and get longitudinal necks cracks after 4 or 5 reloads. That's why I track the number of firings and trims. After 2 reloads I don't use the brass for hunting loads.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I track elk, I throw out cases that are split. I never counted, never cared. Whenever anyone asks about round count in a gun, I figure they just don't shoot much if they thought I counted...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I put brass in 50rd boxes, some rifles have one box, some have 5 or 6. I track how many times each box has been loaded and note when I bump shoulders/trim/anneal. Every now and then there is brass that isn't equal in a box, but in general the system works. One I have things worked up, I generally load boxes of 50 (or multiples of 50)

I also keep ring binders with sections for each rifle, I track what I load,how many rounds/boxes, how work ups went, when zeroed etc.

Its not a perfect system, but in general I know whats zeroed, what ammo I have, where the brass is in terms of times fired, how long since last anneal/shoulder bump etc.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I throw out cases that are split.

I never counted, never cared.

Whenever anyone asks about round count in a gun, I figure they just don't shoot much if they thought I counted...

That about sums it up. I can guess and get close +/- 50.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I count jugs of powder. With a little math that gives me a good approximation of rounds counts etc and takes a lot less work.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The only one I count are my hunting loads. I use new cases run over an expander ball only and deburred, loaded and run through the rifle/gun. I then use them and toss the fired cases in w/previously fired for any number of times. Muddy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tally marks on 100 round MTM boxes.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Currently load for 13 rifle chamberings, with four of them - .223, .30-06, .308 and .270 - chambered in 2 to 4 rifles each.

Each rifle gets a lot of brass assigned to it, usually 100 cases, sometimes 200. No big deal to keep two 1 gallon plastic bags going for each lot. Prepped cases are pulled from one bag and loaded. After firing they get put in the other bag. When all are fired, they are prepped as a lot. A small slip of paper in each bag tells me which rifle the lot is for, how many firings on that lot, when the shoulders were bumped, and when they were annealed and/or trimmed. Used to toss cases after 10 firings "just because" it seemed like enough. But now I have one lot on it's 23rd firing and some other lots getting close to 20x. Haven't seen a case head separation in 30 years, not even an incipient one. If a primer pocket gets too loose then that individual case is tossed. The one lot at 23x is starting to have a few like that.

That's one way out of 100,000,000 possible ways. It's the way I like to do things but I'd never tell anyone it was the only way.

Some folks anneal after every firing, some folks FL size after each firing, some folks keep bound books with notes about wind conditions, ambient temp, humidity and such for every group they've ever shot. Some folks mix any and all headstamps and as long as the gun goes bang they're satisfied.

It's a hobby, done for enjoyment, and everybody does it differently. As long as each person is happy with the way they do it, I figure it's all good.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I keep track of each box of reloaded ammo as to how many times fired, how many times neck sized, and how many times full lenth sized.
With semi auto, lever or pump guns, I tend to throw out the brass after 4-5 reloads as I always full lenth size it. With bolt guns, particularly ones whose brass is hard to get, I usually anneal the brass at least every five firings.
I also keep track as to how hot, and with what powder, I load each rifle.
I use only new or once fired brass for hunting. At least some of which is checked for proper functioning the rifle.
Been handloading rifle ammo since 1958. I don't polish brass, fiddle with primer pockets, and I only tirm when really necessary. But I do lots of inspecting and checking of my ammunition as I load it. E

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
I keep 4 20 round boxes at a time for each rifle. Each rifle has different color boxes assigned to it. Each box has a label with the load data on it. They may say something like, .308 win, 165 gr. Partition, 45.5 gr. RL15, FC210, 2.800, Win 3x. That allows me to track that brass throughout its life. When 1 cracks, the brass from that box gets tossed into the brass bucket and I start over.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you anneal after every firing, there's no need to count loadings. I just toss them when primer pockets loosen

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've kept track of all lots of brass for the 30 years or so. Keep the record both as to firings and annealing in small 3X5 spiral notebooks. I anneal every 4 firings and use the second load after annealing for 'precision' stuff, like hunting or printing targets for new guns. At one point I was testing and firing new builds for a rifle builder. While I do throw out expanded primer pockets, I can't remember the last time I had a split neck. If I had multiple lots of the same brand of case I merely filed a small notch in the rims to identify that particular lot. At one point I was at the range 5-6 days a week and firing as many as 500 rounds through multiple rifles so it was important to keep track. It also enabled me to check results for best accuracy. It does make a difference.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For my 06 and 6.5, I keep a record of each case - # of firings and the load in each firing.
For my .30/30 and .357, I do not keep track of # of firings or keep a record of each load. I only indicate which load is currently in the case.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I keep track, but mostly unrealistically.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't have enough time left in my life to count/keep track how many times brass is shot.

Got nothing against those who do.
When i first started loading i shot the same 3 or 4 pieces till something gave out,never happened.
A neck might split on some 308 from time to time but for a hunting rifle i grab a handful and load them up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I attempt to keep track of full length sizing which is usually every 3-4 firings. Once I hit 3x of full length sizing, usually 9 firings for non magnum cases, I toss them. I'm starting to think about annealing but have not tried it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My M1A taught me to keep track of how many times I'd fired cases. It's gone but I still keep track; gallon zip lock bags and MTM boxes with 3x5 cards with load data and number of times fired recorded on them make it easy.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have no clue........

about a lot of things.

But especially firings.....
and carpentry.

Have Dog

Will Travel

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I discard any cases with loose primer pockets, split necks or other defects and shoot everything else until they develop these faults. For hunting loads or near max loads I use once fired brass, I've never felt there was anything to gain by tracking number of times loaded.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

435 members (160user, 22kHornet, 1Longbow, 163bc, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 38 invisible), 2,739 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,654
Posts18,533,853
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.