Print Thread
Hop To
P
pumpgun Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Will they go middle of the road till they have a shot at the white house or will they act the fool and go for broke with taxes, social programs, gun control and such? tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Let's hope they don't figure to have "political capital" to spend.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It seems like I heard the word 'mandate' coming from the new majority a few times the morning after the election.

tq

No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Will they go middle of the road till they have a shot at the white house or will they act the fool and go for broke with taxes, social programs, gun control and such? tom

Hey pumpgun,

When was the last time you saw a "leopard change it's spots?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I knew I had to ask him about the mysteries of life, he spit between his boots and he replied:

"it's faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money"

Dan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tom, they are going to do the same as the Republicans did when they took power twelve years ago.

I don't doubt that some elected just past are honest in their wish to change things to a more liberal stance. Just as a lot of the new Republicans did back then.

However, and more's the pity, the idealism and passion gets worn off pretty quick in DC. It is a corrupting place and the old saying about power corrupting is still true.

Pretty soon it will get to be not about ideals and what is best for the country but what is best for ME the politician and how can I keep my personal power the hell with the country.

The boys that are out now have got to realize that on the whole this country is pretty middle of the road with a right conservative cast. Is and has been that way for a long time.

When they figure out that the people want in that respect and get back to the base idealism they will be back for a while. Until power corrupts them again. Just as power will corrupt the newly powerful Democrats.

This is from a guy who has watched it from FDR to now.

BCR

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I hope that they will have learned something from their time out of power in the Congress and will not go Hard Left.

However, as others have cogently pointed out, life inside the Beltway is a very corrupting influence.

I suspect we may get a few months of playing nice then their Sewer Rat nature will get the better of them and it will be Katy bar the door on Liberal legislation and partisan bellowing.

The saddest part is that the Republicans are just as bad and the bulk of the American people have no real voice in the corridors of power.

HBB

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
"...or will they act the fool and go for broke with taxes, social programs, gun control and such?"

They already have.

Robert Rubin has called for a massive tax hike. Barney Frank has come out in favor of taxing "the rich," which will probably mean anyone paid $50K or more).

The NY attorney general-elect has come out in favor of cracking down on "illegal" guns. The governor-elect of Maryland wants to outlaw "assault rifles."

70 Democratic Congressmen are going to hear McGovern tell them to immediately abandon our allies in Iraq. Would any other country ever trust us again? Meantime, the head Al Quaeda guy in Iraq, sensing victory, says he has recruited 12,000 fighters who will not stop until they blow up the White House.

They pledge to push through a minimum wage, despite the fact that every reputable economist says the effect of same is merely to get a lot of low-paid people fired. (It's OK to bag your own groceries, isn't it?)

Mandate, Hell! Exit polls showed that most of the people want a smaller government and lower taxes--and were mad because the Republicans didn't deliver it. They were mad about Iraq because Bush wasn't winning it, and didn't appear to know how to, not because he started it.

We have a two-party system--the stupid party and the evil party. If the former remains stupid, unfortunately we will have evil for a long time.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
"...or will they act the fool and go for broke with taxes, social programs, gun control and such?"

They already have.

Robert Rubin has called for a massive tax hike. Barney Frank has come out in favor of taxing "the rich," which will probably mean anyone paid $50K or more).

The NY attorney general-elect has come out in favor of cracking down on "illegal" guns. The governor-elect of Maryland wants to outlaw "assault rifles."

70 Democratic Congressmen are going to hear McGovern tell them to immediately abandon our allies in Iraq. Would any other country ever trust us again? Meantime, the head Al Quaeda guy in Iraq, sensing victory, says he has recruited 12,000 fighters who will not stop until they blow up the White House.

They pledge to push through a minimum wage, despite the fact that every reputable economist says the effect of same is merely to get a lot of low-paid people fired. (It's OK to bag your own groceries, isn't it?)

Mandate, Hell! Exit polls showed that most of the people want a smaller government and lower taxes--and were mad because the Republicans didn't deliver it. They were mad about Iraq because Bush wasn't winning it, and didn't appear to know how to, not because he started it.

We have a two-party system--the stupid party and the evil party. If the former remains stupid, unfortunately we will have evil for a long time.

Good post.
It only took Rubin 20 hours after the election to call for the tax increase....

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Boggy Creek Ranger,

Your words are very true. Couldn't say it any better myself, so I won't.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
There cannot be a mandate from a non-conpulsory voting base. The majority has never spoken.
AGW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
AGW

I know what you are saying but I think from a technical point of view a mandate can be there with non compulsory voting. Indirectly, those who did not cast a vote did in reality cast a vote.......their vote was.....a vote for the majority of cast votes.

Remember also that you don't have compulsory voting in Australia, it is only compulsory to have your name marked off the electoral roll on voting day and I think to enbter the voting booth.

Mike

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,410 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,423
Posts18,507,472
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.