Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kenneth Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My bud has a Remmie semi-auto, 11-87 I believe. Is there a rebuild kit for this gun? Regarding seals and gaskets related to the gas system.

He's having frequent ejection issues while shooting trap loads, and also the gun also seems to accumulate lots of buildup from the gases.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Brownells ought to have what you need. The only real seal is the gas o ring. It might just need a really good cleaning including the recoil spring and removing the bolt and carrier from the action

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Yes, there is a kit that comes with new steel rings and several rubber gaskets. It has been some time since I bought one but they are readily available. Maybe Midway or Brownell's would be a starting point.

In my experience, 11-87's are not great with target loads lighter than 1 1/8 oz. and 3 dr. It is important to clean the gun often, at least every 100 shots, and to leave very little lube on the magazine tube as it attracts fouling.

RS

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Clean every 100 shots? No wonder I don't own any gas guns.

If I mentioned how infrequent I clean my Benelli's, you would call me lazy.

I'll head over to Brownell's and see what I can find.

MWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Couple questions; Are the rings broken? Is there a lot of carbon buildup on the tube?

If there is carbon build-up on the tube, take some solvent and 4x steel wool to it and clean it up. Soak the rings in some solvent and clean them up. Also check the gas ports to make sure they are not partially plugged with carbon. A pipe cleaner or bent paper clip will work. As will a small drill bit the same size as the hole twirled by hand.

Beyond cleaning the carbon build up I don't think a different set of rings are going to solve the problem of getting it to function much better as far as ejection is concerned. My wife's 11-87 runs fine with 2 3/4 dram loads but I keep the tube clean and ports clear.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Dont know about the rings but yes lots of carbon buildup on the tube, he says some rubber o-rings on the tube are brittle and in need of replacing.

regarding ejection, I think he'll be swinging a trap gun shortly.

MWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The little rubber O-ring (there is one) is an easy fix and they are cheap. They last about 5 years or a couple thousand rounds.

The carbon build up has got to go. Use steel wool and Hoppe's. Those rings should be able to slide freely.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An 11-87 should go a hell of a lot more than 100 rounds between cleanings, sounds like something is amiss with lots of carbon build up..

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by RipSnort
Yes, there is a kit that comes with new steel rings and several rubber gaskets. It has been some time since I bought one but they are readily available. Maybe Midway or Brownell's would be a starting point.

In my experience, 11-87's are not great with target loads lighter than 1 1/8 oz. and 3 dr. It is important to clean the gun often, at least every 100 shots, and to leave very little lube on the magazine tube as it attracts fouling.

RS

Actually the opposite, just like a Rem 1100 a light coating of break free on the mag tube will prevent build up of carbon on the tube and is easily cleaned off. Be sure the gas ports are cleaned as well.

Some else going on with this gun. With the clean burning powders used in trap loads having to clean this shotgun until a flat of shells is shot through it is rather unusual.

Doc

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would love to have a look at that gun, I have never seen one act like that.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Dont know about the rings but yes lots of carbon buildup on the tube, he says some rubber o-rings on the tube are brittle and in need of replacing.

"Some"???? There's only supposed to be ONE. If it's brittle and/or showing signs of wear it's time to replace it - and make sure it's a true replacement and not some cheap-azzed hardware store O-ring. As to the piston and piston seal, they should be clean and when installed ensure the gaps are NOT lined up. That alone can cause carbon buildup.

Take a good look at the barrel shroud's interior - after "X" rounds carbon can build up in there and cause some blowback. Scrup out any buildup there and try again.

FWIW, I clean my shotguns after EVERY use - whether it's 100 shells or just 3....no matter if it's a semi-auto or O/U..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I clean my shotguns...well, hell..I dont remember the last time.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Sounds like he might be putting lube on the magazine tube or gas rings. Shoot them dry and they won't build up so much carbon.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by liliysdad
I clean my shotguns...well, hell..I dont remember the last time.
smile smile

Yeah, I get several of those in the shop every year.. Those are real money-makers.. Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I dont keep junk that wont run dirty....

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by liliysdad
I dont keep junk that wont run dirty....
Get any firearm 'dirty' enough and they won't run.

Therefore, you must not own a single firearm.

FWIW.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Dirty enough, and dirty are two completely different states separated by a great chasm.

For example, and AR will run tens of thousands of rounds without cleaning, as long as its lubed. Most pump shotguns are the same way, as are most modern serious handguns.

I am not against cleaning and maintaining weapons at all. On the contrary, I inspect and lube mine regularly. As far as traditional cleaning, it is far overrated. If a gun requires more than a standard wipe down and a bit of oil to function throughout a season, I have no use for it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My bud has a Remmie semi-auto, 11-87 I believe. Is there a rebuild kit for this gun? Regarding seals and gaskets related to the gas system.

He's having frequent ejection issues while shooting trap loads, and also the gun also seems to accumulate lots of buildup from the gases.

He doesn't need a rebuild kit he needs a Beretta..
Sorry couldn't resist, I have never known anyone who has had any luck with the 1187. The last one in our extended group of shooters was just fire saled out and replaced with an A300 Xtreema

BORN to HUNT
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

He doesn't need a rebuild kit he needs a Beretta........
LOL sorry I couldn't resist, I have not known anyone one who has had any luck with 1187s, the last one in our extended waterfowl group was firesaled out and replaced with an A300 Xtreema

BORN to HUNT
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
That is exactly how I solved my 1100 and 1187 issues, with an A300 Outlander.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1minute, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,092 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,778
Posts18,495,871
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.