Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Ive got a good set of full-size glass that Ive used for 10 years or so, but since moving east they seem too large to take hunting. So, Im looking for a decent set of compacts for when in the tree stand bowhunting or picking apart some brush 50 yards away for the flick of an ear. Ive had good luck in the past with Nikon binos in this price bracket, not sure how they are doing now days but looking at the prostaff 8X25 ATB. Any others out there folks have tried that I might be missing out on?

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Last edited by 308ld; 12/19/15.

Ed
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I hadnt considered those but leaning that way now. Was originally looking for 7X but the 6X with the larger lenses might be better for low light. How "bright" are they? Are they too small for an adult?

Last edited by TomM1; 12/19/15.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TomM1
I hadnt considered those but leaning that way now. Was originally looking for 7X but the 6X with the larger lenses might be better for low light. How "bright" are they? Are they too small for an adult?

I have 10X42 & 6.5X32 Minox, but use the Leupold 6X30s when I hunt the woods. They are adult size, bright, and work. cool

Ed
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
With the rebate now, I dont think you could beat these with a stick. Gonna order a set. Thanks for the info.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 308ld
Originally Posted by TomM1

I have 10X42 & 6.5X32 Minox, but use the Leupold 6X30s when I hunt the woods. They are adult size, bright, and work. cool

Ditto. Not exactly "compact", but not bulky either. They are perfect for hunting timber and the optics are quite surprising for such a low cost. The only problem I have is the right eye cup doesn't want to stay extended. I use electrician's tape on everything, so I just locked them open with some tape. They work great.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I tried a pair at my local gander mountain, just didnt feel right in my hand. Gonna keep looking.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the Yosemite 8X30, light, decent strap & good glass. No complaints

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Take a look at some compact Pentax as they are very good quality.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have the 6x30 Yosemite they do a good job in the woods. They have decent glass for the money.

" America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My only compact binos, Link Here
They're inexpensive (discontinued) but aren't cheap, I like them a lot.
Bright clear glass that's surprised the guys I've handed them to, not just me.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A little higher than your price range at $164 shipped, but I'd check these out.

http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/Sightron-SII-Series-Bino-8x32mm-23008_p_18717.html

Sightron SII 8x32 Blue Sky

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ordered 10x30 Yosemites that arrived today. Gonna like these critters even more than the 8x30s I've had for years. $105 shipped, with the $25 rebate.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I have used Nikon Travelites 8x25 for at least the last 12+yrs, maybe longer. While they aren't a high dollar binocular, they work very well for a compact. Nice clear glass, very light, comfortable, and focus nicely. Most places have them for under $100. I bought a pair for my son a few years ago, got them for $60 on ebay, NIB. For woods bino's I really like them. I would say they are comparable to the Leupold of similar style. Much much better than the cheap binos, but certainly below the more expensive models.

I am currently considering a mid-size set also, looking at the Sightrons. Just don't know about doubling the weight, my Nikons are like 9 or 10oz.

Last edited by WV_Hunter1; 12/23/15.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Why is Leupold hightlighted/linked in my last post? I went into edit, it wasn't showing that it was. ??? Wierd

LOL, in this post too. ?

Last edited by WV_Hunter1; 12/23/15.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Yosemite 6x30 !!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I had those nikon reverse-porros briefly. Unless i am confusing them with another pair or misremembering, I recall the glass being quite nice but the eye relief/box wasnt a good match for me. More a personal/individual issue than a knock on the binos. I recall a rather good image quality and exeptionally light weight and small.

Everyones definition of small, mid size, etc is different, but in terms of physical size i can offer the following:
nikon travelite < bushnell ex 8x28 < yosemite 6x32 < sightron 8x32.

I kept the latter three and couldnt be happier. I am still looking for something in the sub $300 range that offers yosemite level glass and ease of viewing in a package smaller and lighter than the bushnell 8x28.

Frank? Anything new to the market fit the bill in the last 3 or so years?

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Good glass canb be quantified, but IME a bino is more a combination of things. Trying them seems, at least to me, to be critical.

Tom (or others) if you happen to be in the Newtown PA or North NJ area let me know. I have the sightron, the yosemite, as well as a couple others in that range if you would like to borrow them and try them out for a bit. Just PM.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Crockett,

Your request is a tough one to respond to. One of the reasons the Yosemite/Kowa YF/Savanna 6x30s are so good optically is because it is 6x Porro prism bin coupled with a 30 mm objective. To get similar optical performance with somethin 28 mm or smaller you would have to lower the magnification as well, a 5x25 for example. Nobody really makes a good quality 5x25 and anything higher in magnification while still maintaining the 25-28 mm objective isn't going to be as bright or as relaxed of a view.

If you throw the roof prism design into the mix them it becomes even harder to maintain image quality in this configuration and price point.

Last edited by FrankD; 12/23/15.

Frank
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Look at Dougs open box sale list for Minox binocs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 46 invisible), 2,223 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,642
Posts18,493,259
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.