Print Thread
Hop To
H
Harvdog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Been emailing outfitters in MT and WY these past couple weeks.
Looking for an earlier season management type rifle Mule deer hunt, or possibly even a combo if price is right. Group of 4, a friend and I are taking a year off from our normal DIY Elk hunt to try and share a high odds western hunt with our Dads, while there's still time.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Let the search continue...

GB1

I would highly suggest using Casey Smith with Centennial Outfitters in Lima MT. It is a beautiful and game-rich environment. I have guided clients of Casey's in Unit 327 for the past 8 seasons... Best of luck!

http://www.centennialoutfitters.com

Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives should be a 24 hour convenience store, not a government agency.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by MontanaGuide12674
I have guided clients of Casey's in Unit 327 for the past 8 seasons...

In other words, "I recommend myself"

Congratulations on your first post here at the 'Fire. crazy

H
Harvdog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Thanks Montanaguide, 1st post or 3000 post I don't care, that's the kind of info I'm looking for. I will check it out.

Give me details and Post up your successes in the past 8yrs

Last edited by Harvdog; 12/24/15.

YW Harvdog. Just a quick note, the outfit I work for focuses on elk primarily, not to push you and your group the wrong way. I know the original post was inquiring about deer. A lot of our most recent kills are posted on the Facebook profile. And as far as success goes, we had an 85 year old man and his friend both completely tag out (both had a combo hunt). Its about how hard you want to get an animal. 2015 I had a gentleman miss 7 different elk in two days (all within 250 yards), and wounding a 5x6 bull on the last. Another gentleman would not shoot a 5x5 bull 18 yards away on the first day at of his rifle hunt. weather turned bad, he never saw another bull in shooting range the rest of the week. People like that screw up a "success rate" per se. I'll try to pm you pics

Last edited by MontanaGuide12674; 12/24/15.

Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives should be a 24 hour convenience store, not a government agency.
IC B2

H
Harvdog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Good deal, look forward to seeing them. Elk hunted for 7 years and would like to get my Dad a bull, But cost and lower overall odds is what has me wanting to do a deer or combo hunt. Thought about doing guided deer and DIY Antelope on the side.

Thought I might add that I have 8 deer and 4 antelope points in WY.
So 2 and 1 if applying for a group of 4.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I would highly suggest using Casey Smith with Centennial Outfitters in Lima MT. It is a beautiful and game-rich environment. I have guided clients of Casey's in Unit 327 for the past 8 seasons... Best of luck!

http://www.centennialoutfitters.com

I HAVE hunted with Casey himself 4 times. Top notch outfit at a reasonable price.
Which guide is this? Derick?

yes this is Derek. Nice to see you here Ben

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Hey Derek, check my avatar out. If you can tell me where the pic was taken I'll buy you a beer next time I'm out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They really need to update their website. The first thing you see on the hunting page is the 2014 hunt schedule. Never updated for 2015. May be a great outfitter but an out of date website always sends up a red flag with me.

IC B3

Ben, I'd say that's the high gate west of the 7L... East of the gravel pit below the knobs.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You might look at Shoal Creek Outfitters out of Jackson Wyoming. Scott Milward passed away this past spring, but his son Riley has taken over and is committed to keeping a great camp.
http://shoalcreekoutfitters.com/Shoal_Creek_Outfitters/Homepage.html

I think they've got a facebook page as well.
( I don't really do facebook.)

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Ben, I'd say that's the high gate west of the 7L... East of the gravel pit below the knobs.

You would be right!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
You might look at Shoal Creek Outfitters out of Jackson Wyoming. Scott Milward passed away this past spring, but his son Riley has taken over and is committed to keeping a great camp.
http://shoalcreekoutfitters.com/Shoal_Creek_Outfitters/Homepage.html

I think they've got a facebook page as well.
( I don't really do facebook.)

The problem with WY is NR have to draw and the odds are not that great unless you buy a "special" elk license. Then the cost is the same as a deer elk combo tag in MT.
The other thing is deer tags are hard to draw in that area depending on the unit.

Last edited by BWalker; 12/28/15.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Y Lazy S Ranch in Craig Colorado. Trespass hunt and super nice cabins available. If you are not seeing 30 bucks a day, you're not getting out of the cabin bathroom! Be patient and you will have your choice of 24-30+ bucks.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
BWalker,
I'd agree with you about the difficulty of drawing the Wyoming tag, but he's got preference points. That'll help quite a bit.

Stupidity is expensive
H
Harvdog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Thanks fellas

Talking with an Outfitter in N MT this past week and we are really thinking about pulling the trigger.

Ive talked with 2 different references so far, both were first time western hunters and both had nothing but good things to say. One had an elderly man with him and the owner did everything he could to make sure he was taken care of, killed his buck after walking 50yd on day 2. Not a big buck, but he was happy and that's all that matters in the end! Anyway, Said they are going back in 2017 or 18.
I also talked with another group that hunted the same general area in N MT last year and all came home with bucks. I would say 8 of the 13 bucks I've seen from hunters in that area are a pretty solid representative Mule Deer. Not that im wanting a 170" deer, but some thing hovering around PY 145 would be nice. Seems like a little better than a 50-60% chance at making that happen in N MT, Seems like 100% kill if you can shoot and aren't to picky.

It's just a tough balance trying to get the best quality hunt for the money.

Anyway, if we do this MT hunt we will be looking into NE WY for a quicker DIY Anyelipe hunt on our way through.

Thanks and keep the ideas coming. Nothing's set in stone as of yet

H
Harvdog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Yes, 8 Deer and 4 Antelope Points. Willing to divide my points between the 4 of us if need be.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Can you divide points?
I'd never heard of that, but me not hearing about any one thing isn't too unusual. LOL

Stupidity is expensive
H
Harvdog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Unless they changed it, I was always under the impression that WY went off the total number of points as a group.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

469 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 44 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,095 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,723
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.