Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
john843 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Yesterday I received an AR completely out of left field as a gift. The friend who gave it must have walked into the local PSA and said "give me an AR" as she knows nothing about firearms.
It is a PSA 16" M4 CMV Premium. It has a 1-7 FN chrome lined bbl. and several other features that don't mean a lot to me as I'm AR ignorant.
Was wondering if any of you guys could tell me what I've got, what I may need to do with it right off the bat to improve it, any glaring shortcomings, advantages, etc.
I'm a bolt gun guy and this is new territory.
Thanks and Merry Christmas.

John

GB1

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I need a friend like that!

That is a decent fighting rifle

Buy an AIMPOINT PRO

Rock on

Last edited by BMT; 12/25/15.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
J
john843 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
yeah, It has the flat top with a short rail and I've not even thought about optics. It didn't come with a rear sight.

John

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Great friend indeed!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Get some ammo and some type of sights and start shooting.

Asking what all extra you want before you even put a couple hundred rounds through the gun is not going to help you.

All you will get here is ideas of what I want, what others want etc...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An excellent friend, that's what you got!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FOsteology
An excellent friend, that's what you got!

+1

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by john843
Yesterday I received an AR completely out of left field as a gift. The friend who gave it must have walked into the local PSA and said "give me an AR" as she knows nothing about firearms.
It is a PSA 16" M4 CMV Premium. It has a 1-7 FN chrome lined bbl. and several other features that don't mean a lot to me as I'm AR ignorant.
Was wondering if any of you guys could tell me what I've got, what I may need to do with it right off the bat to improve it, any glaring shortcomings, advantages, etc.
I'm a bolt gun guy and this is new territory.
Thanks and Merry Christmas.

John

that is the same gun i've been advising my brother to purchase. IIRC, the barrel is made by FN, and is a quality barrel.

i'd buy 2k rounds of ammo, some decent iron sights, preferable the fold down type, especially in the rear. learn to shoot and decide if you want to improve anything, such as the trigger, or add an optic suited for your purposes

Merry Christmas, ked

Last edited by keith_dunlap; 12/25/15.

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
an AR that will probably do anything that all the internet blow hards have spent 2 grand with on the same thing. sounds kinda like a basic gun that will work just fine. I like a free float tube and a good trigger. but that is just me

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have had one for a few years and it has been a great rifle. I did swap out the handguard though.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Assuming it has a front sight, I'd buy an A2 carry handle rear sight, a bunch of magazines and a bunch of ammo. That's what I'd call a keeper; the friend and the carbine.

J
john843 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Well guys, I was at the shop this morning when it opened and picked up an aluminum dual aperture rear sight, 1k of 55gr., a sling and a case.
I then headed out to the range and had more fun than a barrel of whatever comes in a barrel!
The gun performed great with no snags to speak of and fit me perfectly. The only thing I may have decided is that I'll probably want a more cylindrical hand guard as opposed to the tapered one on it now. Not particularly a quad rail but something a little longer and the same diameter all the way down. If I understand correctly, I'll have to switch to a lower gas block to do this.
Anyway it's just fine for now as I learn it and figure it out. Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

John

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Get aA2 carry handle and learn the sights.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just a thought, should you decide to scope it, make sure you get mounts made for an AR. Others will fit the rail but you will have hell getting some tall enough to see through. I did not like the trigger that came with my Bushmaster, but they are simple to change out yourself, if you decide to replace it. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
J
john843 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Milespatton, glad you mentioned that as I have several pairs of Weaver bases and were wondering if they were an option. The highest I have are Meds.

John

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by john843
Well guys, I was at the shop this morning when it opened and picked up an aluminum dual aperture rear sight, 1k of 55gr., a sling and a case.
I then headed out to the range and had more fun than a barrel of whatever comes in a barrel!
The gun performed great with no snags to speak of and fit me perfectly. The only thing I may have decided is that I'll probably want a more cylindrical hand guard as opposed to the tapered one on it now. Not particularly a quad rail but something a little longer and the same diameter all the way down. If I understand correctly, I'll have to switch to a lower gas block to do this.
Anyway it's just fine for now as I learn it and figure it out. Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

John

If you get a short enough handguard, you can keep the a frame front sight/gasblock. If you get a longer handguard, of course you'll need to swap to a low profile gas block.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
A fine rifle, for sure!

With a 1:7" twist barrel though, you should be using bullets of 65 grains or heavier. Anything lighter, and accuracy will not be what you expect.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
FWIW shoot the ammo you have, don't take for granted that a fast twist won't be accurate with light ammo.

We shot a LOT of 6.5 twist tubes out in 223, and shot quite a few 52 bthps in them and at 200 yards the 52s would shoot just at or under an inch...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I shoot 55's quite a bit with my 1/7's but here's a pretty good article on the subject.
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-From-AR-15s-with-1-7-quot-Twist-Barrels

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by PaFrank
A fine rifle, for sure!

With a 1:7" twist barrel though, you should be using bullets of 65 grains or heavier. Anything lighter, and accuracy will not be what you expect.

Not sure why, but that is a myth that just won't die and go away.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (17CalFan, 1_deuce, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 65 invisible), 18,832 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,987
Posts18,540,120
Members74,053
Most Online21,066
1 hour ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.