Hop To
Page 125 of 175 1 2 123 124 125 126 127 174 175
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
and the best move toward ISP.

I thought ISP was corrupt and incompetent, or is that just more guesswork from your fellow statesmen?

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

Another eyewitness who was at the scene. I hope they got your statement, or at the very least, a sit-down with you and Spence.

And have you seen the statements from at least two other star witnesses saying they don't know when or if Yantis' rifle was fired or not?

Nope, did not claim to be a witness. I actually passed the incident site about two hours before dark that evening, and can verify that no bull was on the road at that time.

So, you doubt that the rifle was fired? Is that your point?

That one witness can not verify a fact does not impugn the testimony of the witness who is unable to confirm that fact. Non LEO witnesses are quoted as saying Mr Yantis's rifle discharged.

I fail to understand why any police officer would jump to defend the officer who is an aberation and commits heinous acts under the protection of his badge.

I would think that all police would be anxious to have such criminals purged from their ranks.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The point is, I have no idea everything that took place, you have no idea everything that took place, Jayco has no idea everything that took place, Curdog doesn't know [bleep] about anything, Fieldgrade apparently has to smell stinky cooter, and that's the facts as I see them.

I said it before, maybe the deputies fugged up, maybe Yantis fugged up, no one knows for sure at this point (witnesses can't even agree on or confirm/deny key elements), but a whole lot of guesses are being made, and it apparently doesn't matter what ISP's investigation finds because they're corrupt and incompetent to begin with.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
and the best move toward ISP.

I thought ISP was corrupt and incompetent, or is that just more guesswork from your fellow statesmen?

There is strong evidense that some indiviguals within ISP conspired to protect a Payette Co deputy after he killed a man on highway 30 while traveling in excess of 105 mph where posted at 55.

That incident was reported ealier in this thread.

Does that negate my statement that they pay better than any other dept. in the state and have their choice of the best and brightest from other depts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You are attempting a civil conversation with one who has no interest in that at all.

Must be the Christmas spirit coming out in you. You are to be congratulated.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

They probably should've never been hired, to hear the way yall talk about them. But I'd imagine the county got exactly what they paid for.

"They should have paid em more but they didn't so they got what they deserved".....you should make that your tag line since it seems to be your default answer to any cop killing......

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I tend to have a civil nature. If I can not be civil, I leave.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A

At least one of us appreciates that! You are more than welcome at my 'Fire!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

They probably should've never been hired, to hear the way yall talk about them. But I'd imagine the county got exactly what they paid for.

"They should have paid em more but they didn't so they got what they deserved".....you should make that your tag line since it seems to be your default answer to any cop killing......

Nobody deserves to have idiots policing their community. But some people shouldn't be surprised by it.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Akbob5

At least one of us appreciates that! You are more than welcome at my 'Fire!

Thank you. I take that as a high compliment.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't even think cops should make a lot of money. In fact, I think if you pay them too much it hurts the profession.

But if you can't pay enough to attract quality people, you shouldn't have a department at all. You're better off with no cops than idiot cops.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Ranchers are generally lucky to break even which probably explains why cops are so much better.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I

Nobody deserves to have idiots policing their community. But some people shouldn't be surprised by it.

Many of us are not surprised.

Some of us have watched total idiots grow up and weasel their way into local police depts.

One example I am aware of served as a reserve officer in a tiny town for years until he finally became the least objectionable candidate for an open position in a dept. of three.

When the town disbanded their dept and contracted the county to take over police duties, this man transitioned to the county. He is now, thirty years later, a detective.

This, desite the fact that he is not smart enough to clear the chamber on a loaded pistol before attempting to disassemble it for cleaning. Thus he shot himself through the hand several years before becoming an employed officer.

And despite the fact that he attempted in Boise to thread his way through a traffic jam by placing a magnetic flashing light on top of his sedan. He was cited for "impersonating an emergency vehicle" by city police. Again several years before becoming an employed afficer.

This is not to say that I think he is typical of our police depts. The majority of our depts are comprised of smart, honest, ethical officers. But aberations are present.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Least objectionable candidate".....Therein lies the problem. Either they're worth hiring or they're not. If you don't have anyone worth hiring you can either attract better people or close up shop. That's how it works for regular businesses and there's no reason a police department should be any different.

FWIW-I've never seen a community served by a three man department that wouldn't have been better off without a department at all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
".

FWIW-I've never seen a community served by a three man department that wouldn't have been better off without a department at all.

I can agree with that.

There is no doubt the bull, Yantis, and all involved would of been better off without the deputies involvement.

What a chit show.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
"Least objectionable candidate".....Therein lies the problem. Either they're worth hiring or they're not. If you don't have anyone worth hiring you can either attract better people or close up shop. That's how it works for regular businesses and there's no reason a police department should be any different.

Several of our local towns are biginning to think the same way and contracting with the county for police protection. That seems to work well most of the time.

But I do miss the days when our county had three deputies and many of the towns had one policeman. The one problem being that the one deputy on duty was often forty minutes away at the other end of the county when you needed him.

But folk often tended to be pretty self reliant in those days anyway.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Bingo. There it is. I was thinking the same thing two pages back but you beat me to it with a better summary than I could have provided. The problem in rural areas that don't have a lot of income not provided by agriculture, is that they are too freaking poor to hire somebody decent. In the absence of decency, nothing is preferable to something since by definition, that something is indecent.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't even think cops should make a lot of money. In fact, I think if you pay them too much it hurts the profession.

But if you can't pay enough to attract quality people, you shouldn't have a department at all. You're better off with no cops than idiot cops.

One of the smartest things I've read here in a while.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

One example I am aware of served as a reserve officer in a tiny town for years until he finally became the least objectionable candidate for an open position in a dept. of three.

When the town dibanded their dept and contracted the county to take over police duties, this man transitioned to the county. He is now, thirty years later, a detective.

This, desite the fact that he is not smart enough to clear the chamber on a loaded pistol before attempting to disassemble it for cleaning. Thus he shot himself through the hand several years before becoming an employed officer.

And despite the fact that he attempted in Boise to thread his way through a traffic jam by placing a magnetic flashing light on top of his sedan. He was cited for "impersonating an emergency vehicle" by city police. Again several years before becoming an employed afficer.

This is not to say that I think he is typical of our police depts. The majority of our depts are comprised of smart, honest, ethical officers. But aberations are present.

IS is holding back. Unfortunately, there are other examples he could be piling on. The part that is puzzling is how the departments tolerate and cover for these types. But then, I guess it hurts to admit the mistake of hiring them in the first place. As usual, I blame management types for this - same as any other profession.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Bingo. There it is. I was thinking the same thing two pages back but you beat me to it with a better summary than I could have provided. The problem in rural areas that don't have a lot of income not provided by agriculture, is that they are too freaking poor to hire somebody decent. In the absence of decency, nothing is preferable to something since by definition, that something is indecent.

There are many communities that rely on a Sheriff's Department and the State Police to enforce the laws and investigate crimes. As Ethan noted they don't have enough money to set up, and run, a three-man department. The county I worked in was surrounded by much poorer counties. Two of them had small Sheriff's Departments, often the Sheriff and 2 or 3 deputies. The deputies were placed in various communities throughout the county and lived there. They were on call 24/7/365 and were paid poverty wages. If there was ever a need for an in-depth investigation of a major crime the Texas Department of Public Safety CID took over and investigated the case.

Page 125 of 175 1 2 123 124 125 126 127 174 175

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1Longbow, 160user, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 007FJ, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,442
Posts18,489,508
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.