Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't, but it sounds good. One of my sons bought the other a jug of this:

[Linked Image]

which was pretty good.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've had that 18 year old - liked it much.

My nieces got me a bottle of Bulleit 10 year for Christmas which does not suck either.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you like Lagavulin, do yourself a favor and try Ardbeg Uigedahl.

My favorite Islay.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And I forgot too:

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh shoot. There it was right in the picture!

Well done. Helluva trifecta!

IC B2

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 280shooter

[Linked Image]

which was pretty good.

I was lucky enough to get one of these just recently. grin

The packaging and bottle are so cool I don't even want to open it. laugh

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was a good evening. Merry Christmas to all.

[Linked Image]

That's quite the fine selection of malt.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Lagavulin 16 is just what the doctor ordered on a cold wet winters evening.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Enjoying this fine scotch Christmas evening at the camp.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RickBin

My favorite Islay.

Where do you rank Laphroaig on your Islay list? It's pretty much at the top of mine.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The two on the outside are favorites of mine, especially the Lagavulin. The Nadurra is a bit on the sweet side for me, but makes for an excellent "dessert" dram..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had a Southern Tier Choklate beer with dessert tonight. Yummmm!
http://www.stbcbeer.com/black-water/choklat/

Finishing the night with the Balvenie Doublewood before bed. Pretty good Christmas!!!!

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Much prefer the peaty ones. Lagavulin, the Ardbegs, sometimes Talisker. Try Kilchoan. It's the newest distillery on Islay, up in the north end. Very peaty. Their idea was that they'd do it all from start to finish, grow their own barley, etc. I think they had to compromise on that but what they are selling now is really Islay. Tends to be less expensive since it's not as well known, yet.
Slainte

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Remsen

My favorite Islay.

Where do you rank Laphroaig on your Islay list? It's pretty much at the top of mine.

Taste is subjective. I like Laphroaig 10 plenty, but I find it pales in comparison to Lagavulin 16.

I like Lagavulin 16 more than plenty, but I find it pales in comparison to Ardbeg Uigedahl.

That being said, all three are in stock here. smile

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I do like the peat. Octomore is worth a try if you run across some.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Remsen

My favorite Islay.

I lean just a bit more toward Ardbeg than Laphroaig, but can be plenty happy with either. Ardbeg 10 was the first to really catch my attention. It would be fun to take a long tour of Islay.

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Laphroaig is WAY too "peaty" or "smokey" for me, and that's coming from someone that likes the peat.

I have had Lagavulin before, but honestly don't recall exactly where it stood if we are ranking things.

As for the scotches I prefer, I find that the McCallan 18 is pretty damn good, but too pricey for normal drinking.

If you want a killer Islay scotch at a good price, try either the 12 or 18 year old Bunnahabhain. Both are simply wonderful. The 12 is about $60/bottle, and the 18 about $120/bottle. For anyone who went on the original Caryonah pig hunt, they may recall I brought a bottle of the Bunnahabhain 18 with me, and it got the attention of all the scotch drinkers, and even a good many of the bourbon drinkers that "hate scotch". It IS that good.

If you move to something a little less peaty, The Balvenie makes some wonderful scotches as well. Even though it's a mere 12 year old, the Balvenie Doublewood is worth more than a try, especially at $60/bottle.

Of course, we're talking about single malts here, because as far as I'm concerned, blends are not worth discussing, much less drinking.

For simple, everyday drinking on a normal budget, the Glenlivit 12 is more than ok, and about $38/bottle. It's nothing special, but it's smooth and full flavored enough to satisfy your craving.

To the 3 bottles pictured in the OP, I have only had the Glenlivit 16, and it's wonderful. As mentioned, their 12 is just fine, and they only get better from there.

to me, the scotch game is more about finding the good ones that are priced like the mediocre ones. There are far too many out there that are incredible, but you pay out the arse for them. With quite a few in the $60-$120 bottle range that (to me) compare quite well to the $300 bottle offerings, I'll stick to what I know now ... Though it may be nice to eventually get to where dropping $300 on a bottle of scotch doesn't phase me. But that would mean me making one helluva better living than I currently do LOL.

-WGM-
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by byc

[Linked Image]

which was pretty good.

I was lucky enough to get one of these just recently. grin

The packaging and bottle are so cool I don't even want to open it. laugh

I had some Jameson 12 with my FIL tonight. It was a bottle someone gave him a few years ago, and he finally opened it. He likes scotch, but isn't all that knowledgeable about scotches, so he had no idea if it was any good or not. We enjoyed it, but it's not one I'd go buy for myself.

Now, the 18 is probably a good bit nicer ... should be more smooth, and richer in flavor. If my imagination of what it would be is correct, you will definitely enjoy that bottle.

-WGM-
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So many choices, so little sobriety...

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by WGM

Of course, we're talking about single malts here, because as far as I'm concerned, blends are not worth discussing, much less drinking.

I have to disagree, even though when it comes to scotch I'm primarily a malt drinker.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (222Sako, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 65 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,285
Posts18,486,876
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.