Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Borrowed a book from the library at the cabin when we were there in August closing up for the Winter.

Grabbed a book that looked really interesting called, "Walked to Alaska, Clawed by a Bear". Story about a kid named Bobby Kennedy from Illinois walked from Illinois to Alaska as a way to raise money for hunger projects. Kid walked the entire way. Did not shirk a foot along the way.

The story is good, the writing is abysmal. Truly is the poorest written book I've ever read. Grammar is terrible and syntax is worse. I only stayed with it just to find out the end, not because the reading was enjoyable.

Montana MOFO

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I hate that. I read a book called every man's struggle, I couldn't get all the way through it. Part of my life I will never get back.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I read a lot but I might start 4-5 books at the same time and just switch between them like changing channels. If one catches my attention then I'll go to just it but many only get partially read because I loose interest.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Clark,
You lose interest………………….
because you have no comprehension !!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This just in! If a book is bad, you can stop reading it.

There are plenty of good ones out there.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I think the point being, that it is inexcusable for an adult in the US to be so poorly educated that he cannot write a comprehensible essay ??

T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Anjin
This just in! If a book is bad, you can stop reading it.

There are plenty of good ones out there.

I agree and my wife kept asking why I struggled through.

I wanted to know how the journey ended and enjoyed reading about some of the people Kennedy met and some of the situations he found himself in and how he got out.

Montana MOFO
T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by cuznguido
I think the point being, that it is inexcusable for an adult in the US to be so poorly educated that he cannot write a comprehensible essay ??

What i do not understand is that the kid who did the hike was/is extremely intelligent. It is the authors who chose to write the way they did for some reason that was so very frustrating and hard to read.

Montana MOFO
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Sounds kind of like "Hell, I was There" by Elmer Keith. Good content, but pretty much unreadable.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm a pretty varacious reader and I can honestly say I've only ran across two authors that were so bad I had to put the book down......one was Teddy Rosevelt.....I still have the book and revisit it every decade or so with the same result....

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by McInnis
Sounds kind of like "Hell, I was There" by Elmer Keith. Good content, but pretty much unreadable.

That book is not worth a chitt.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EdM

I had this book a few years ago and as I recall, I got through it all right.

Surely there have been numerous threads on old Elmer and his feud with Jack O'Connor. Stephen Hunter even wrote a nice thriller whose characters included them as well as Charlie Askins, Ed McGivern and Audie Murphy, all with very thinly altered names and each using his favorite weapons. (Pale Horse Coming, one of his Swagger books) All of us who know gun history immediately recognize them.

I think it was O'Connor's last books, in which he let it all hang out, where he wrote that Keith was never a guide in Idaho, but at most was a packer. Can anyone comment on that?

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I'm a pretty varacious reader and I can honestly say I've only ran across two authors that were so bad I had to put the book down......one was Teddy Rosevelt.....I still have the book and revisit it every decade or so with the same result....

Teddy is downright painful to read..about like trying to read the bible. Elmer Kieth is on the other end of bad from Teddy. Cant help but think idiotic when reading his stuff.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Worst I've read is that crap Hemingway's kid attempted to pull together from his Dad's notes, 'True at First Light'. Papa must have schidt in his casket when that came out.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Worst I've read is that crap Hemingway's kid attempted to pull together from his Dad's notes, 'True at First Light'. Papa must have schidt in his casket when that came out.

Roflmao!!!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Kaywoodie, PM me your addy and I'll send it to you. with $1 for taking it off my hands ...

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by EdM

Interestingly enough I read Elmer a lot as a youth. And I read Jack a lot.

Ended up not caring for the fast light theory and identifying with the slow heavy theory. Very likely ingrained the start of the hate of the 270 round for me.

I read hell I was there a couple of times. I really enjoyed it.

Yet recently I"ve gotten copies of his gun notes... and I read bits and pieces here and there, and I don't think I could do so well at 51 vs 20s reading Hell I was there anymore.

I still like reading about his Camp Perry shooting, as Carolyn and I shot there quite a bit.

But its amazed me what I used to read or like that I can't stand anymore.

But I still hate the 270. LOL. I shot it a bit, and a few deer with my buddies and there was nothing I liked about it from the higher recoil than my 06 to the utter destruction of meat with the 130s...

But I digress.

Want to get rid of the copy of the AK book? I"ll pay ya for it just to see what I think about it.

Side note, I cannot STAND Glen Zedickers writing style either or his quotes about I'm an English PHd or some such and I have a RIGHT to butcher it as I like... crap.... But there sure is a lot of info from Glen at times... so I have muttered through and cussed him a few times....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with you on Glen Z. He gets a bit too folksy, cutesy at times but good info.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"The Worst Book Ever" belongs to the koran.

Last edited by Rusty-Gunn; 12/25/15.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Once you recover...I have three I could recommend.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

688 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 3,215 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,104
Posts18,483,222
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.