Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
PS, bet if I can neck a 221 up, you can neck a 300/221 down too...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
HR IC

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why isn't there more 7.62x39 bolt rifles?
I just don't want to give my kid a $700+ cz to ding up the wood and all the other offering out there are just ugly.
Maybe I'll have to contact a tikka for ultra light version.

Last edited by Dre; 12/26/15.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Truth told, if Ruger wanted to sell a blue jillion rifles in the American Ranch configuration, they would chamber one in the 7.62x39mm and have the bore appropriate for Russian steel cased ammunition.

The little bastids would occupy at least three quarters of the farm trucks and tractors in North America.

Till they do, I'll continue to run the BO. It works better than most folks think it should, and I don't have to give a rat fart if I drag the stock on barbed wire.

Merry Christmas.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
It's going to work well with a suppressor on it and over a bait station this spring. Might even put a red dot on it to see WTF. Bait will be about 20-30 yards and the area is open to both grizzly and black bear.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
If one compares the 300 BO launching a 150gr SST at 1900 fps, to a 30-30 launching a 150gr RN at 2300 fps, you will see that at 200 yards they have about identical energy (slight favor to the BO), but the SST will have about half as much drift.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
What I hate about the BO is that it steals good .221 brass, (that I could really use for my .221, but can't find very easily) and diverts those cases to a cartridge I don't GAS about and don't want.
I love my .221 Fireball, but I can't easily find cases when I need them, because they are shuffled off to make cases for the B-O.

If I was running a military black-ops team and needed the suppressive goodness, yeah, I'd be happy with one, but they don't work for where I hunt deer, and the trajectory ain't much good on a groundhog, either, so I just think of anything I'd want or need one for..

in stock....but best used for the 20 Fireball (Vartarg)

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/27296

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If'n one launches a 150 from a .30-30 that is in a single shot or bolt gun it will be doing quite a bit better. Everyone seems to think the .30-30 is confined solely to leverguns. Been blowing 150 grain Pro Hunters and other pointy bullets from my Contender for near two decades. Haven't killed anything more than 30 yards away however...cause I can't see thru trees.

The BO is a purpose driven design. Loading it to best velocity with lighter bullets is fine if that's what floats your boat. Shooting critters at subsonic velocities is fine if you can put the bullet where it counts. It is a tool best employed with great precision and forethought....and a can. Otherwise one can do more with other cartridges.

Take the .22 CB short for example...

[Linked Image]

...it doesn't need a muffler.

Unlike some I prefer to babble endlessly and without aim. I don't do that with rifles.

More recently I have become a disciple of soft lead and low velocity, muffled and precise in the form of a .30-357.

'Xcuse please, I have to sneeze...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Stunt shooter! shocked

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RHutch
Nobody said it was a great deer rifle cartridge. The adjective used was "cool".

Like you, I also have opinions on cartridges that I find useless. Like anything that starts with a .17 or .25 for starters. Doesn't mean there isn't a use for, or following for them.
Hell, I still like and use the .308Win which is archaic and not cool anymore.
Like you, I give no phuucks either way.

GFY

Ok. I don't see anything "cool" about it.

The difference between your opinion and my opinion is mine is right and yours is wrong.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My first 30-30 was a Savage model 340.

I was just making a comparison to a very commonly accepted 200 yard deer load.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by rost495

So how flat is the pistol cartridge round? To 200?

194 lehigh, DESIGNED to expand down to 750 fps IIRC, and BC of .638 IIRC...

Thats the only reason I didn't go 44 mag first round, I did not want to be short changed into a 100 yard or less round. I did not do that math though, went the other route... swag...

RE range and dial.. hmm I do that to my other rounds too... can get from 50 to 200 with less than a full turn... thats no big deal..

You'll probably dial... what? 17 MOA or so?

Let's do a price comparison on Lehigh's vs. some XTP's or HAP's.

You have to dial a full 15MOA to get to the 2 with your other rounds as well? You must have a stable full of dog schit.

But I still want to hear what makes the BO a cool deer round so keep the input coming.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Dre
Why isn't there more 7.62x39 bolt rifles?

Probably because they suck.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by bearstalker
It's going to work well with a suppressor on it and over a bait station this spring. Might even put a red dot on it to see WTF. Bait will be about 20-30 yards and the area is open to both grizzly and black bear.

You're going to shoot grizz and AK black bears with subsonics? What bullet are you using?

Travis

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by rost495

So how flat is the pistol cartridge round? To 200?

194 lehigh, DESIGNED to expand down to 750 fps IIRC, and BC of .638 IIRC...

Thats the only reason I didn't go 44 mag first round, I did not want to be short changed into a 100 yard or less round. I did not do that math though, went the other route... swag...

RE range and dial.. hmm I do that to my other rounds too... can get from 50 to 200 with less than a full turn... thats no big deal..

You'll probably dial... what? 17 MOA or so?

Let's do a price comparison on Lehigh's vs. some XTP's or HAP's.

You have to dial a full 15MOA to get to the 2 with your other rounds as well? You must have a stable full of dog schit.

But I still want to hear what makes the BO a cool deer round so keep the input coming.

Travis

Cool I could give a flying f less about. Thats stuff azzholes worry about.

Dial, I'd have to go check the numbers again, what do you dial to get same distance?

I never said 30 was better, I'm asking, what do you dial to get to 150 or 200? Might make me sell what I have and buy somethign else.

And no I don't dial that much to get to 2, its just not rocket science to range and dial to the distance marker on your knobs. Even window lickers can get that done.

When you start worrying about price of hunting bullets, you worry to much.

Could really about care less what I pay for a quality bullet.. probably why my bench has so many boxes marked barnes....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
What I hate about the BO is that it steals good .221 brass, (that I could really use for my .221, but can't find very easily) and diverts those cases to a cartridge I don't GAS about and don't want.
I love my .221 Fireball, but I can't easily find cases when I need them, because they are shuffled off to make cases for the B-O.

If I was running a military black-ops team and needed the suppressive goodness, yeah, I'd be happy with one, but they don't work for where I hunt deer, and the trajectory ain't much good on a groundhog, either, so I just think of anything I'd want or need one for..

Most of the Blackout brass that's not manufactured as 300 BKT brass is formed from 223 or 5.56x45 because it's cheaper.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by deflave
So if you want to shoot stuff with 200gr + bullet weights at subsonic speeds, why not use a pistol cartridge?

Because they cannot use them in an AR15 platform. That is the sole selling point of the BO.

But quit complaining so loudly--the BO is causing the bullet makers to produce lots of fun 30 cal projectiles, and they all work well in the 308 and 30-06 too. Win-win!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm glad you're enjoying your deer rifle that requires 15+ MOA to get to the 200 and requires bullets that cost $65 per 50.

Hopefully one day I'll achieve your level of financial freedom so I can also shoot deer with such an amazingly advanced cartridge.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Because they cannot use them in an AR15 platform. That is the sole selling point of the BO.

Did you read the title of the thread you just posted on?

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
If'n one launches a 150 from a .30-30 that is in a single shot or bolt gun it will be doing quite a bit better. Everyone seems to think the .30-30 is confined solely to leverguns. Been blowing 150 grain Pro Hunters and other pointy bullets from my Contender for near two decades. Haven't killed anything more than 30 yards away however...cause I can't see thru trees.

The BO is a purpose driven design. Loading it to best velocity with lighter bullets is fine if that's what floats your boat. Shooting critters at subsonic velocities is fine if you can put the bullet where it counts. It is a tool best employed with great precision and forethought....and a can. Otherwise one can do more with other cartridges.

Take the .22 CB short for example...

[Linked Image]

...it doesn't need a muffler.

Unlike some I prefer to babble endlessly and without aim. I don't do that with rifles.

More recently I have become a disciple of soft lead and low velocity, muffled and precise in the form of a .30-357.

'Xcuse please, I have to sneeze...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is what a REAL rifle loony looks like. ^^^

Dave

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 1Longbow, 1234, 1lessdog, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 58 invisible), 2,237 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,659
Posts18,493,580
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.