Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Grand

I thought about the bolt gun as well, but decided I could get to the same place with more options by just downloading a .308.

I came to the same conclusion.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I think a .300 BO with a can and a 1,000,000 candle power spotlight would be GREAT for hunting big bucks at night from the back of a pick up.

Enjoy the hunt while it lasts!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MarkFed
I think a .300 BO with a can and a 1,000,000 candle power spotlight would be GREAT for hunting big bucks at night from the back of a pick up.

I think a Ruger 77/44 with a can and spotlight would be more GREATER.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I am far more likely to thread my 30-30 for a can, than by a blackout, and add yet another cartridge to the list of cartridges that I don't have time to reload for.

Besides, a suppressed lever gun is UBER.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Jericho
Handled a AAC Model Seven in 300 black out recently and it seemed like a pretty cool deer rifle. Any of you own one?

I don't own one but I'd love to hear why people think it would make a great deer rifle.

Travis

Because it doesn't take a 300 win mag to kill deer. Everything has its limits.

The reason I won't download a 308 to do the same is case capacity vs accuracy. Generally speaking to get to sub loads you have such little powder the accuracy could be really cruddy...

The 300/221 has about the right capacity for me, even a bit much at times depending on powders.

I'm still working out the sound issues vs what powders and the accuracy issues, but in a factory Rem 700 7 twist.

But as is, its fairly quiet, and at times pellet gun quiet. Kills extremely well out to 150 and have a few out to almost 200, so thats about all I normally need in most instances.

If I can manage to get it a bit quieter I"ll like that, a bit more accurate too.

As to back of the truck for deer with a spotlight, the drop on the round requires a rangefinder and some time to verify things... its not a poaching round any more than anything else is.

Running it without a can and not sub sonic, there are better choices if you are going to make noise...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by MarkFed

I think a Ruger 77/44 with a can and spotlight would be more GREATER.

Travis

OK, how about a 96/44?

Enjoy the hunt while it lasts!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
boykin,

Thats a really nice buck and congrats to your son. But I still would like to hear what a BO brings to the table.

Merry Christmas,
Clark

It's much more practical to tame down a 308 than it is to shoot the BO. I picked up the barreled action on here for a song is the main reason I'm shooting it. Accuracy is sub MOA with the 110 Barnes, so it isn't without its perks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

As innaccurate as my AR shoots 5 shot groups I can't imagine any better out of a bolt gun!

I just hope I can duplicate this factory load at 100 yards grin

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I guess....to me at least......a .308" bullet leaving the barrel at about 1,000 fps is the same whether it's coming from a 308 Win or a 300 BKT.

I understand that you can stick a supersonic round in a 308 if the need arises and the BKT with a supersonic round will not reach out nearly as far.

If I need to reach out.....I'll grab the fast twist suppressed 223AI and be satisfied with that.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jlboykin
boykin,

Thats a really nice buck and congrats to your son. But I still would like to hear what a BO brings to the table.

Merry Christmas,
Clark

It's much more practical to tame down a 308 than it is to shoot the BO. I picked up the barreled action on here for a song is the main reason I'm shooting it. Accuracy is sub MOA with the 110 Barnes, so it isn't without its perks.
What powder are you running and what charge to get a 110 sub sonic?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jlboykin
boykin,

Merry Christmas,
Clark

As a follow up question, using likely 10 grains or less powder to be sub sonic, whats your ES and accuracy when aiming up or down as that powder moves around in the case freely, and could be against the primer on this shot or the bullet on that one?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My son got a used MGM TC barrel here and likes the pellet rifle sound with subs, but hasn't hunted with it.

I've taken it out a few times with 110 Barnes factory and The Harvester cuz it sounds like a .22 rifle. Haven't taken a deer yet because I was buck only mode and passed on some does, and haven't gone lately due to illness and the holidays.

We usually hunt from stands and even w the can, that TC is a handy little tree stand carbine. May take it out for another shorts and flip flops hunt tomorrow.

Wanting to try some of Noveske ammo loaded with 220 Noz PTs that are sposed to be softer and expand at subsonic speed.

And after all isn't the Blackout/Whisper just another arrow in the Stuntshooter's quiver?🤓

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by rost495

Because it doesn't take a 300 win mag to kill deer. Everything has its limits.

Thanks for the tip.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

As a follow up question, using likely 10 grains or less powder to be sub sonic, whats your ES and accuracy when aiming up or down as that powder moves around in the case freely, and could be against the primer on this shot or the bullet on that one?

He's not running the 110 at subsonic speeds.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
To nobody in particular,

I know lots of people like them and I don't much give a fugk but just for the sake of conversation, I think the BO is one of the best selling wastes of time in the history of firearms.

If I want to sling 200gr bullets at subsonic speeds I'll use a pistol cartridge with bullets that were designed to expand at subsonic speeds.

If I want light recoiling deer killers I'll use a .223. If my state won't allow that I'll use a .243 or 250 Salvage or 6X45 or 7 TCU, etc.

People talk about the taking advantage of the high BC of the heavy 30 cal stuff but if you spend any time trying to do so, you'll find your fugkin' wrist goes sore from twisting turrets. And this is coming from a guy that FH three times a day. Minimum. They drop like rocks and anything past 100yds becomes a "range, twist, pray target remains stationary" type situation and you end up never shooting live game with the subsonic, high BC stuff unless it's 100yds or closer.

So if you want to shoot stuff with 200gr + bullet weights at subsonic speeds, why not use a pistol cartridge?

So again, I don't own one but I'd love to hear why it makes a great deer rifle.

Travis

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nobody said it was a great deer rifle cartridge. The adjective used was "cool".

Like you, I also have opinions on cartridges that I find useless. Like anything that starts with a .17 or .25 for starters. Doesn't mean there isn't a use for, or following for them.
Hell, I still like and use the .308Win which is archaic and not cool anymore.
Like you, I give no phuucks either way.

GFY

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
What I hate about the BO is that it steals good .221 brass, (that I could really use for my .221, but can't find very easily) and diverts those cases to a cartridge I don't GAS about and don't want.
I love my .221 Fireball, but I can't easily find cases when I need them, because they are shuffled off to make cases for the B-O.

If I was running a military black-ops team and needed the suppressive goodness, yeah, I'd be happy with one, but they don't work for where I hunt deer, and the trajectory ain't much good on a groundhog, either, so I just think of anything I'd want or need one for..

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

He's not running the 110 at subsonic speeds.

Travis

No point in running a blackout then...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
To nobody in particular,

I know lots of people like them and I don't much give a fugk but just for the sake of conversation, I think the BO is one of the best selling wastes of time in the history of firearms.

If I want to sling 200gr bullets at subsonic speeds I'll use a pistol cartridge with bullets that were designed to expand at subsonic speeds.

If I want light recoiling deer killers I'll use a .223. If my state won't allow that I'll use a .243 or 250 Salvage or 6X45 or 7 TCU, etc.

People talk about the taking advantage of the high BC of the heavy 30 cal stuff but if you spend any time trying to do so, you'll find your fugkin' wrist goes sore from twisting turrets. And this is coming from a guy that FH three times a day. Minimum. They drop like rocks and anything past 100yds becomes a "range, twist, pray target remains stationary" type situation and you end up never shooting live game with the subsonic, high BC stuff unless it's 100yds or closer.

So if you want to shoot stuff with 200gr + bullet weights at subsonic speeds, why not use a pistol cartridge?

So again, I don't own one but I'd love to hear why it makes a great deer rifle.

Travis

So how flat is the pistol cartridge round? To 200?

194 lehigh, DESIGNED to expand down to 750 fps IIRC, and BC of .638 IIRC...

Thats the only reason I didn't go 44 mag first round, I did not want to be short changed into a 100 yard or less round. I did not do that math though, went the other route... swag...

RE range and dial.. hmm I do that to my other rounds too... can get from 50 to 200 with less than a full turn... thats no big deal..

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
What I hate about the BO is that it steals good .221 brass, (that I could really use for my .221, but can't find very easily) and diverts those cases to a cartridge I don't GAS about and don't want.
I love my .221 Fireball, but I can't easily find cases when I need them, because they are shuffled off to make cases for the B-O.

If I was running a military black-ops team and needed the suppressive goodness, yeah, I'd be happy with one, but they don't work for where I hunt deer, and the trajectory ain't much good on a groundhog, either, so I just think of anything I'd want or need one for..

From time to time I search for 221 Lapua brass. Its been in stock more times than not....

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

274 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 22 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 1,052 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,389
Posts18,469,819
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.