Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

Not being able to get them refilled is even stupider.

always nice to get sterling advice from a chit hot welding ace.

....leaves one feeling humbled.

GTC

Only been doing it for 45 years and have been all over the US as well as overseas for my expertise.

Try again ace!

But have you ever cobbled together a rabbit hutch?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I bought some used oxy-acet bottles 30 years ago and haven't paid a nickle in rent since. For the long run, buying is much cheaper. You swap them when its refill time so it doesn't matter what shape they're in.

You better buy them from a welding supply that'll refill individually owned bottle. A lot of places will not refill individually owned bottles.

Depots DON'T "refill" bottles, they ROTATE your empties for clean , recently certified CLEAN and full ones. "Owner bottles" are stamped with an alpha numeric code,....that's honored in 50 states.

FWIW I currently "own" about 25 cylinders,....O2, Acetylene, Argon, Co2, Nitrogen, Mixed Gases,....even compressed air.

"A lot of places"....Bush league is just that,....body shops, auto parts dives, and other jerk wad outfits

....than there's professionals.

GBTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A stud welder is not so hard to find, a stud torch fitter is a rare duck. You will be doing him a favor by teaching him how to run a torch now. You can go propane and oxygen to keep it easy if a welding supplier is not close. One k bottle will run a bunch of 20lb propane bottles.

For a cheap wire feed, it's tough to beat a hobart for the money. Hobart, lincoln and miller should be on your radar.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pizzing contest about welding ensues,....

some notably absent.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought some used oxy-acet bottles 30 years ago and haven't paid a nickle in rent since. For the long run, buying is much cheaper. You swap them when its refill time so it doesn't matter what shape they're in.

You better buy them from a welding supply that'll refill individually owned bottle. A lot of places will not refill individually owned bottles.

Depots DON'T "refill" bottles, they ROTATE your empties for clean , recently certified CLEAN and full ones. "Owner bottles" are stamped with an alpha numeric code,....that's honored in 50 states.

FWIW I currently "own" about 25 cylinders,....O2, Acetylene, Argon, Co2, Nitrogen, Mixed Gases,....even compressed air.

"A lot of places"....Bush league is just that,....body shops, auto parts dives, and other jerk wad outfits

GBTC

I have 11 bottles.....own every one of them. NEVER had a problem getting filled even at competition stores.

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by high_country_

GBTC

I have 11 bottles.....own every one of them. NEVER had a problem getting filled even at competition stores.

Ni guess I missed the part where I posted it was impossible.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

GBTC

I dunno where this "hard to get refilled" horsechit comes from, either.

....what better place to get smoke blown up one's azz than a welding environment, though.

GTC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Welding threads, much like chainsaw threads, tend to turn stupid rather quickly on here.

But here goes anyway, get him a Miller 211. He will be able to practice his welding and make things now. Later you can add a oxy acet cutting outfit.

Buy from an actual dealer where the can try it out first and he can get real help if needed.

Miller prices usually go up in Feb, so look now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The closest I ever got was when two competing stores had different paint codes for owner vs rental. A quick phone call solved it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
tnscouter,

See this thread:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/9961774/Searchpage/3/Main/691790/Words/welder/Search/true/Re:_Upgrading_the_Welding_Shop#Post9961774

Best thread on welders that I have seen.

The rebate mentioned in the first post has expired, but it may come around again.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd probably get him a small inverter based wire feed welder with a gas solenoid and the highest duty cycle I could find. The Miller machines with the 115V/230V are kind of neat. I'd get a quality machine, there's lots of off brand junk out there. You might ask on Weldersweb. I'm sure you'd get a volley of responses over there. I was taught on a little Lincoln 115V machine. I still have one, but hardly ever use it. I bought it for it's portability, but for anything short of a quick repair, it's just easier to use my engine drive and suitcase. I've used the little 115V very successfully to repair cast iron with fluxcore, preheat, and controlled cooling. The nice thing about the little 115V machines is that it's hard to set it out of range on anything larger than 10ga. That said my first mig, I bought it when in college, was a 230V Century 145 amp Mig. It was the display model at SAMs Club. I gave it to my brother when he wanted to learn to weld.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just did a quick review of the current offerings from Miller and Lincoln and I agree with Lonny, get'em the Miller 211.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

GBTC

I dunno where this "hard to get refilled" horsechit comes from, either.

....what better place to get smoke blown up one's azz than a welding environment, though.

GTC

Hit It

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gotta go get my asbestos underwear,....the smoke's blowing hotter and thicker.

later

GTC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sheesh... Once again in true campfire form, the guy asks a about a MIG welder for his son and he gets suggestions on how he would be better off with Oxy/Acet and a pissing match on whether to rent or buy shielding gas bottles follows.

Remember, this is just a kid that wants to play around with a welder at this point. He is not going to take his 6GR TIG Pipe test or going into business at this point. Just a Dad asking what would be a good starter machine for his son that won't break the bank.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For what the kid is wanting to do, he will need a cutting torch anyway.

I'd buy him a used oxy acetylene set up and let him learn to weld with it. Propane is not so good for welding, so I'd go with an acetylene bottle and appropriate cutting tip.

If he learns to make a decent position weld with gas, he won't have ANY trouble with other types of welders.

FWIW.... Aerospace engineers I've known seem to think that a gas weld has superior fatigue properties in comparison with other approved types.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Lonny
Sheesh... Once again in true campfire form, the guy asks a about a MIG welder for his son and he gets suggestions on how he would be better off with Oxy/Acet and a pissing match on whether to rent or buy shielding gas bottles follows.

Remember, this is just a kid that wants to play around with a welder at this point. He is not going to take his 6GR TIG Pipe test or going into business at this point. Just a Dad asking what would be a good starter machine for his son that won't break the bank.

And the best starter machine IS an Oxy-Acet unit and it will not break the bank. No electricity required. It is the first welding tool ANY beginner should use in the real world. A more useful and versatile tool for beginner or professional does not exist.

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Amen

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Lonny
Welding threads, much like chainsaw threads, tend to turn stupid rather quickly on here.

But here goes anyway, get him a Miller 211. He will be able to practice his welding and make things now. Later you can add a oxy acet cutting outfit.

Buy from an actual dealer where the can try it out first and he can get real help if needed.

Miller prices usually go up in Feb, so look now.

Precisely what I did for the very same reason with recommendations coming from here.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Pizzing contest about welding ensues,....

some notably absent.

GTC

...and it would seem some notably front and center of every one that takes place.

tnscouter, Going on the assumption that you are located in TN, (your profile doesn't say if or what part of the state your in).
If you are around eTN, I have a couple of 110v wire machines setting on the shelve that I bought for some light duty traveling contract work last spring that has been completed. One is a miller sp-100 and the other is the Lincoln power mig 140. Both have the trigger operated gas solenoid.

I'm not really lookin to sell either but If you are pretty close(k-town), I wouldn't be beyond just letting you borrow either machine to let you and your son use it for a bit to get a better feel for what you are looking for.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (35, 300_savage, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 7mm_Loco, Akhutr, 7 invisible), 1,687 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,470
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.