Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I was contemplating my first trial of Dyna Bore Coat after reading the reviews by Mule Deer and several others here. For a rifle that has been used some, what is the best way to clean a bore, short of electrolysis, to get the best results from DBC? Should I avoid bronze brushes? Should I polish the bore with J-B Bore compound first?
Any tips appreciated.
Thanks,
Jed

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The idea is to remove all fouling first, then remove all traces of cleaning fluids. You don't need to polish the bore with J-B Paste first, unless that's how you remove copper fouling. Get the bore clean, then clean it with some kind of alcohol product like denatured alcohol. Next, apply Dyna Bore Coat and let dry. Shoot rifle to cure product.

If you can't see any blue in your cleaning patches, you can assume that the bore is free of copper fouling.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
IF you use a brush use a nylon brush. Many folks here use Wipeout and I have used Patchout (the same product but you use patches). Lately I've used Kroil and Shooter's Choice mixed 50/50 and followed up with Montana x-treme 50 BMG solvent with great results.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wait, wait, wait.

With DBC ya gotta clean to bare metal. I think the above replies are telling you how to clean after application.

The Dyna Bore Coat comes with instructions written out by Mule Deer on how to clean it to bare steel. I'd do exactly as he suggests. Seems like it's 30 swipes with a tight patch over a brush and JB bore paste along with a few other patches to get all the bore paste out.

There are some good threads around with Mule Deers advice. DBC is good stuff.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I believe their website has instructions for cleaning. They are the procedures suggested by Mule Deer.

Yup, here it is: Cleaning

Last edited by prm; 12/27/15.
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Higbean
Wait, wait, wait.

With DBC ya gotta clean to bare metal. I think the above replies are telling you how to clean after application.

The Dyna Bore Coat comes with instructions written out by Mule Deer on how to clean it to bare steel. I'd do exactly as he suggests. Seems like it's 30 swipes with a tight patch over a brush and JB bore paste along with a few other patches to get all the bore paste out.

I bought a combo pack of bore coat and gun coat that came with zero instructions. I was a bit surprised.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Higbean
Wait, wait, wait.

Dis is it

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It comes with instructions. Follow them.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ain't nobody got Google?

Cleaning a Barrel to Bare Steel

(Safety glasses and disposable gloves recommended)

The proper installation of DYNA-TEK Bore Coat involves first cleaning the bore down to bare, dry steel. Otherwise the coating won’t be sticking to the steel, but to the powder, lead or copper fouling.

1. Ensure firearm is unloaded and free of any ammunition

2. Clean out all loose powder fouling using a cleaning solvent and clean patch. Soak patch with solvent and push through bore and pull back 6 to 8 times. Change patch and repeat this 6 to 8 times or until patch comes out clear of any powder fouling.

3. Using a clean or new (this is critical) correctly sized brass bore brush, wrap it with a clean, thick cotton patch and liberally soak with JB Bore Cleaner. This has a fine abrasive that will remove fouling but not affect the base metal.

4. Run this brush/patch combination back and forth inside the barrel 30 times reapplying fresh JB to the patch every 10 strokes. The brush/patch must fit the barrel tight and should take considerable force to move it and to insure the cleaning compound is working. If it is at all loose, wrap another patch around the brush and reload it with fresh JB and continue.

5. Clean the bore again with a cleaning solvent and several patches to remove the abrasive bore cleaner.

6. Use a chemical copper solvent to remove any remaining trace amounts of copper fouling, following the manufacturer’s instructions. Normally this requires 3 cycles to complete.

7. Degrease the bore with 3-6 patches and either denatured alcohol or acetone and allow to dry.

8. The bore is now completely clean to bare metal and ready for the application of DYNA-TEK Bore Coat.

We would like to thank John Barsness for the excellent bore cleaning instructions detailed above.

http://store.dyna-tek.com/Bore-Coat-Article-s/1839.htm

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A few other things to add;

1) After following John Barness' directions, repeat a second time. It's amazing just how much fouling can hide in a rifle bore, even on a new gun.

2) The amount of fouling you remove from the bore after the curing shots will be worse that before you applied DBC. It's normal.

3) I've found that it takes 3-4 good cleanings after the initial application for the full advantages of DBC to become apparent. If you do not have a tremendous improvement by the 4th cleaning, you did not get the barrel clean enough to begin with. You must reapply, but can usually get by using only copper and carbon solvents.

4) If you are doing an AR, copper will hide underneath the threads for the muzzle device. You will begin to think that you will never get all of it removed, when in fact the barrel is clean.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

469 members (22kHornet, 160user, 257man, 338rcm, 17CalFan, 338reddog, 42 invisible), 1,803 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,874
Posts18,478,834
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.