Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
So last year my brother had all his guns stolen and now that I have some money saved up I was looking for some recommendations for gun safes in the $1500 or preferably less price range. I know that all safes can be gotten into but I just want one so some smash and grab burgler can't make away with my goods. I would need a 60+ gun safe as I have other things I would be putting in it as well. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I know less than nothing about gun safes but I'm pretty sure you're going to need two safes......

I'd start with one real good one for your best guns and save up for a second good one.

FWIW.........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
$1500 won't do it. unless all your guns are single barrel shotguns or open sight levers, you won't get close to 60 guns in any commercial safe for anywhere near that money. if all you care about is smash and grab and not fire rating, you can buy several of those steel gun cabinets for a few hundred each.

liberty makes good safes in various grades and fire ratings. the fatboy could fit about 35 long guns and goes for about $2k.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

I recently got the 64 gun there at TSC for $699.

Decent safe and good warranty.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The wife bought the 80 gun for Christmas. I think it was on sale for 950.00 or 999.00.. Good bang for buck, no doubt.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by SandBilly
The wife bought the 80 gun for Christmas. I think it was on sale for 950.00 or 999.00.. Good bang for buck, no doubt.

I was actually looking at getting that safe but it went off sale. So I was gonna wait until it was marked back down. The only thing I didn't like about it was the electric keypad. I'd rather have the old fashioned turning lock. But for the price, I was really impressed by it.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Decent safe and good warranty. [/

I already had two of these 64 gun safes from TSC and bought another on this Black Friday for $699. Beware that this last one I bought DID NOT have the electrical inside like the previous ones. I think they do put in the new 80 gun one though. There is a hole already cut in the metal in the back but it isn't through to the inside AND it is centered which is gonna make it come through EXACTLY where the inside divider is. Not happy about this change!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it matters to you like it does to me, most "economy" safes are made in china, even most "Browning" and "Winchester" branded, believe it or not. Dig deep to find this is true, albeit sickening. Cheap steel.

The most safe for the money is Liberty brand. Made in Utah.

With that said, $1,500 probably won't do it for the size you want.

Good luck

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by winchester70
If it matters to you like it does to me, most "economy" safes are made in china, even most "Browning" and "Winchester" branded, believe it or not. Dig deep to find this is true, albeit sickening. Cheap steel.

The most safe for the money is Liberty brand. Made in Utah.

With that said, $1,500 probably won't do it for the size you want.

Good luck

Well, I found a Liberty for close to 1500. It's the Colonial 50 and they have them for 1700 shipped to your door from gunsafes.com. Are they good safes? It seems like most people say I need something for $6000 to prevent a thief with a pocket knife. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
not cheap, but i think these are one of the better safes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2mtTPmWIVQ

do some research, and you'll find that there are many different ways of rating a safe. look at the difference between Heritages solid steel door and others "composite" door.

made in the USA in Idaho. Lifetime warranty

ked

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I posted this on a previous thread about Cannon safes:

I recently got one of the biggest, 72" high, Cannon safes from Tractor Supply on sale at a good price, because I had been very pleased with both Cannon safes I have owned in the past.

However, it is not nearly as well made as the nearly identical, same size Cannon safe I bought ten years ago. And the fire rating isn't as good.

They sit side-by-side in my shop. The new safe cost less than the one I bought ten years ago. It also has a couple of nice features the old safe doesn't have: the built in plugs and the built in lights that come on when I open the door.

I asked a knowledgeable safe salesman about the drop in quality. He said that my older safe was made at the factory in Southern California. He said that now, only their most expensive safes are still made there. When Cannon got the big contract to supply safes to Tractor Supply and some other big retailers, they built a factory in Mexico and cut their production costs as well as their quality.

The bottom line is, you get what you pay for. They are as good a safe as you will find, for the money, at the Tractor Supply sale price, but they are not the safe they used to be.

This seems to be another case where a company builds up a good reputation, then the quality drops and they try to ride along on their reputation as long as they can.

Take a look at the safe in question and see if it meets your needs. Don't consider it a Cannon safe. Remind yourself that it is a Tractor Supply safe made in Mexico, that just happens to have the Cannon logo on the door.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is the whole previous thread from about this past Thanksgiving:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10727998/Re:_tractor_supply_safe_on_sal#Post10727998

Nifty-250

Yogi Berra
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And for you other guys that have the Tractor Supply Cannon safes, like me, here is how I made a good little improvement to my safe:

A recent thread discussed the fact that most of the new Cannon safes are being made to a cheaper quality standard to sell at attractive price-points in stores like Tractor Supply.

I shared my observations since I just recently bought the largest Cannon safe that Tractor Supply sold. One of the construction shortcuts taken on this safe was that the inner door frame had a rather sharp exposed edge of the sheet metal facing the inside of the safe, all the way around the door opening.

The sharp edge along the bottom of the opening is about three inches above the floor of the safe. As a long gun is removed from the safe, even with care, it is very easy to whack the toe or heel of the stock against this rather sharp edge. It is extremely easy to make a significant unsightly, linear dent in a gun-stock this way.

The other day when I was at the NAPA Auto Parts store I thought of this problem and sought out a way to cushion the sharp edges inside my safe. The counterman came up with the perfect, easy, inexpensive solution.

He sold me some black, plastic door edge guard material. I took it home and it worked perfectly. It is U-shaped and creates a tight friction fit. Each $4.09 package contains two, 27" strips. I bought two packages and did all three edges, bottom, top and one side. The side where the door hinges is not exposed.

Here is the product: NAPA #730-1895

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catalo...1895_0421633173,

I am certain I have prevented one or more stock dings with this investment of $8.18 and suggest this solution to other owners of the newer, less-expensive Cannon safes. Of course, this feature should have been provided by the factory, but they definitely cut corners to keep the price low, and this is one area they cut.

The door-opening edges look much more finished with this small improvement. I also installed a trimmed piece of base-board along the front floor edge that extends into the safe the same distance that the door protrudes into the safe. I know that anything I put into the safe has to be behind that line or it will be jammed further in as the door is closed.

I hope this information may be useful to someone.

Nifty-250

Yogi Berra
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Set a craiglist alert for a gun safe. When one comes up for sale you get an email immediately. You can save some serious cash that way.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have a look at 'Sportsman's Steel' safes.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by hawkman0206
The only thing I didn't like about it was the electric keypad. I'd rather have the old fashioned turning lock.

Used to think that way as well. However, having tried the turning lock, I've gone back to the electronic keypads as they are much more convenient.

I'm not an expert on safe security, but it's my impression that the electronic keypads used to open locks used in good quality safes today are very tamper resistant and provide the security that turning locks do without all the fuss of the latter.

No safe will keep a professional thief out forever. I just need the time for my SO to respond to the house alarm - here they do and take it seriously - if I'm not home, Or if I am, for the dog and me to bring appropriate means of physical defense to bear. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 12/27/15.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Set a craiglist alert for a gun safe. When one comes up for sale you get an email immediately. You can save some serious cash that way.

Agreed; they come up regularly in our area. People don't want to move them. Easy to get them for 50%; I picked up a nice Browning 32 gun(might hold 20 rifles if you have scopes)on the cheap. Also, if they are selling the safe; ask about guns/ammo because they can't list them on CL. I picked up a nice Sako from the estate this way; sold it and ended up with $300 in a $1800 safe.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are several videos on YouTube that demonstrate how easy it is quickly to break into the average safe and what to look for.

Do a little calculation on the value of the items you plan to store in your safe. It likely adds up to thousands of dollars. You may even have an item or two that is in the tens of thousands!

Consider how unlikely it is that insurance will really give you replacement value, even when you had a safe. Then rethink what value you place on getting a real safe. grin

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Decent safe and good warranty.

Tractor supply is where I got my last one too...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 1234, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,519
Posts18,491,007
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.