Print Thread
Hop To
#10814743 12/27/15
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I'm thinking about trying to learn a new skill set. Do any of you experienced welders have any recommendations on a mig welder for a beginner that won't break the bank?
Thanks!

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
...laffin...

Let me go drink about four fingers of rot gut and I'll get back with you....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Depends on what you are planning on welding. If you are planning on welding light metals and assemblies of metal 1/4" and thinner, you could probably get by with one of the Millermatic 140, Hobart 140, or Lincoln 140 units for quite awhile. Get a 75/25 tank of gas to go with it.
The best thing about them is that they will not only work quite well, are easy to learn and adjust- but they are also portable since they are usually 110V machines. So, you can take it anywhere 110V power is available and go to work.

If you have an adult learning center or community college avaiable you should be able to take some welding classes in the evenings to help you get started.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Time out whilst I go pop some popcorns

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by WGTaxidermist
I'm thinking about trying to learn a new skill set. Do any of you experienced welders have any recommendations on a mig welder for a beginner that won't break the bank?
Thanks!

I can't even begin to call myself a welder, but this would be my first choice in your shoes;

HOBART 190

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have no idea. Look forward to the replies.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by Sheister
Depends on what you are planning on welding. If you are planning on welding light metals and assemblies of metal 1/4" and thinner, you could probably get by with one of the Millermatic 140, Hobart 140, or Lincoln 140 units for quite awhile. Get a 75/25 tank of gas to go with it.
The best thing about them is that they will not only work quite well, are easy to learn and adjust- but they are also portable since they are usually 110V machines. So, you can take it anywhere 110V power is available and go to work.

If you have an adult learning center or community college avaiable you should be able to take some welding classes in the evenings to help you get started.

Bob
I'm not looking at doing any heavy duty stuff for a while. I'm just looking for a good welder to use around the house on hobbies and what not.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
...laffin...

I see your from east tn. You must be one of those 2 buck limit supporters from another site. Lol!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
GOOD GRIEF - There are 2 threads running on the 24hour index page right now !!!

Don't think we really need another one.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...812533/Need_info_on_welders#Post10812533

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9957428/1

Myron

Last edited by speedsixman; 12/27/15.

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whoa there Mister... You don't just go out and buy a MIG welder with the Campfire Welding Apprenticeship Program watching over you!

First you will need to pass a 3" Schedule 80 6G pipe destructive test using Oxy Acet and RG 45 filler... If you can't do this, no going on to MIG!

Also, you did not mention if you plan on renting or buying your shielding gas bottles. If you don't answer this correctly you will fail. smile smile

Seriously, Good luck.... You're gonna need it after 20 plus pages of advice here.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
...laffin...

I see your from east tn. You must be one of those 2 buck limit supporters from another site. Lol!

I don't ever go to the other site, they don't seem to like me in their little play ground.

Here read on this, There could be some useful info in this thread that might actually relate to the inquiry your making,...and a whole schitt load of stuff that don't.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by speedsixman
GOOD GRIEF - There are 2 threads running on the 24hour index page right now !!!

Don't think we really need another one.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9957428/1

Myron
Sorry didn't relize the topic had already been brought up.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
...laffin...

I don't ever go to the other site, they don't seem to like me in their little play ground.

Here read on this, There could be some useful info in this thread that might actually relate to the inquiry your making,...and a whole schitt load of stuff that don't.

Thanks! If you you ever want to join another local hunting forum that's not as uptight as that bunch just let me know.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks!

yea, buy a smaw (stick) rig that will do AC/DC 50lbs of 3/32 7018, and burn that first 50lbs up making bead pads, come back after your done for more instruction

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
...laffin...

Thanks! If you you ever want to join another local hunting forum that's not as uptight as that bunch just let me know.

Ya I'll check it out, Thanks
...you'd be better off to PM the link to me tho....

Is it alright if I bring my girlfriend when I visit?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy the Lincoln 140 or Hobart Handler (140) and run it with flux core. Those are both 120 volt machines, but a considerable step up from the lowest end stuff. .035" flux core wire is heavy enough to build small trailers and similar projects. 240 volt stuff is nicer of course and something like a low end stick welder can be gotten cheaper and will handle heavier tasks, but it doesn't get much easier than a basic wire feed welder. And learning without gas apparatus makes things very simple indeed. Many of these smaller welders come with the regulator and stuff you need when you're ready to switch to gas too. I paid right around $450 for a "used" (damaged box) Hobart unit from Amazon this fall; built a nice 8x10 snow machine trailer with it. 3/16" tube and angle were no trouble at all. As with just about any 120 volt machine, the duty cycle rating is not very good, but I've run close to 10 pounds of wire without ever exceeding the machine's built-in protection system. Sure I like heavier welders better, but these little machines serve their purpose with decent versatility.

BTW, it's alright to have an additional thread. I think those others were taken over by the pros. wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 257robertsimp, 7mm_Loco, 13 invisible), 1,189 guests, and 708 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.